Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Chicago/Philadelphia reveals...doing both!!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chicago/Philadelphia reveals...doing both!!

ORIGINAL: stevelegel

Two different Challengers...simultaneous reveals!!!

SRT8 at Chicago, regular production at Philadelphia, and again in New York in March
I sure hope you didn't make a special flight based on the bogus information that you got...
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Can I have your reward miles?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:09 AM

resumespeed...I did...

I am hopeful that the show program and maybe some media press releae information will be available for my collection.

I am now wondering about the New York auto show...production versions or SRT's..
and do I care?
Steve
Old 02-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Friday afternoon after finishing at the office, my mechanic neighbor and I reinstalled the distributor in my '57 Thunderbird and it started right up and ran smooth and rumbled just right. On that good note, I left for Chicago. The drive was easy and I set cruise control most of the way driving westbound. I snickered at the MANY speeders pulled over along both sides of I 94. The section through Indiana of I 94, I 90 and I 80 continues to be nerve rattleing even after the finish of construction from 2 years ago. Tinley Park is where I am staying at the Wingate. I went to the local Target for a swimsuit to enjoy the indoor pool, here, and found a new 1 Badd Ride Challenger 1:24 in non metallic medium blue with black hood block out, T/A style side stripe and spoiler...engine side badge is 426 Hemi...die cast car is Concept Challenger. I had posted elsewhere the same model as a 1:18 scale. The desk clerk here recommended "The Tin Fish" as a sea food restaurant, and I cannot express enough, my enjoyment of the meal. Plentiful portions, well prepared and flavorful. Staff was attentive without being intrusive. Well worth the 4 hour drive alone. My local Thunderbird forum buddies had saved the Chicago newspaper sections about the auto show and the Dodge Challenger. There are three or four editions for me to post when I get home.

Tonight I'll enjoy a swim, some wine and chocolate in my room and be ready for complimentary breakfast and drive into town for when the doors open to see Challenger. I brought both digital camera and video camera. I plan to buy a program and look of any handouts they might have. A quick sweep perhaps of the other cars (ho hum) and then back on the road eastbound to Detroit's Metro Airport.

Steve
Old 02-08-2008, 04:25 PM

While using the hotel's business center online computer, I looked up ebay for Chicago press kits.

As expected...picked up by media and posted on ebay the next day for over $150 bucks for most of them and bidding is not finished.

I figured as much.

Nothing posted from Philadelphia show.
Steve
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 AM

Got home Sunday night and leaving for work soon, Monday morning. I have lots to tell about my weekend trip. Mostly about the promotional stuff from Chrysler at the Chicago show. Philadelphia was a cool visit for lots of stuff to do downtown. Challenger at Auto show was uninspired presentation.

Lots to tell, too, about viewer enthusiasm too. (lack of)

Need help checking Wed feb 8 and Thurs feb 9 Philadelphia Inquirer for Challenger in the press.

Car will be in Jacksonville Fl next week auto show.

Anybody from New York city willing to help me attend that show in March?
Steve
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The presentation of the concept car in 2006 was far superior to the one for the 2008 production model in Chicago.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 AM

My article for the Thunderbird Club newsletters. Note the list of all the Challenger stuff that was at Chicago!!
REPORT FROM THE FIELD: Chicago and Philadelphia Auto Shows 2008

The new Dodge Challenger SRT 8 high performance edition for 2008 was simultaneously unveiled at both the Chicago and Philadelphia Auto Shows in February 2008. Through the advantage of internet technology, enthusiasts were treated to live feed of the Chicago unveiling and presentation by Chrysler president, Jim Press.

I was able to attend both shows, in the same weekend, and share my travel experience with you. Chicago is a 4 hour drive from my home near Detroit, and on the afternoon Friday February 8th, I drove to the Chicago suburb of Tinley Park and spent the night at the lovely Wingate Inn. The winter drive was easy as the temperature was cold, but the roads were clear. I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the nearby Tin Fish and did some diecast shopping at the local Target store before returning to the Wingate to enjoy a swim in the indoor heated pool and hot tub. A relaxing evening and a great start to a busy weekend. The Wingate provided a very nice morning breakfast on Saturday, and I easily made my way the short drive time to McCormick Center. As an early riser, I enjoyed front row parking and made my way through the complex to the auto show, where I gathered in line with thousands of other early morning risers, likewise intending to beat the crowd.

The Dodge area was lavish with Challenger display. The new performance version for 2008 comes in only three colors, black, silver and Hemi Orange. The display featured one of each color. A huge mural served as the backdrop for a projection screen, on which videos of Dodge products, and Challenger in particular, were shown. Large posters were handed out as well as the 2008 Dodge product line brochure. The brochure features the Challenger wheel on the cover and Challenger is listed inside. Attendees could play the Challenger game, an interactive computer kiosk, which asked players a series of 8 multiple choice questions related to the new Challenger and some related classic Challenger teasers. To record your answer, a “Slap Stick Shifter” was engaged. An additional text treasure hunt could also be played. After playing the game, players could receive their choice of a small diecast Challenger, of the black, silver or Hemi Orange colors. In addition to the free poster being handed out, one kiosk offered for sale a Challenger art print by noted automotive artist, Tom Hale, available through the website. The overhead banner surrounding the Chrysler/Dodge display area had pictures of many popular Chrysler family products, Challenger included. I video taped and took many photographs in the display area before meandering around the other automotive company displays before ending my Chicago adventure. On my return drive east to Detroit, I stopped at Detroit’s Metropolitan Airport, near where I live, just west of the city and right along I 94. There I boarded a late night flight to Philadelphia, courtesy of a buddy pass through my brother, Eric, an employee of Northwest.

After a short, uneventful flight I arrived at Philadelphia’s International Airport, where Travelocity had arranged a car (a U S made Dodge Caliber in B 5 metallic blue) for the short easy drive to downtown Philadelphia. Travelocity had arranged a one night stay for me at the Club Quarters Hotel, a currently renovated historic hotel, right in the middle of everything. I was quite surprised at the wide array of late night, nightlife in downtown Philadelphia and its remarkable friendliness and cleanliness. Early the next morning, I left the car at the hotel parking structure and trekked out, well before the auto show doors opened to see Philadelphia’s historic sites. Bright sunny skies and moderate 45 degree temperature accompanied me on my 5 mile loop. I visited the Pennsylvania State Hous