Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)

Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)

I agree with ManGO.
Cerberus and DCX have agreed to a sale. UAW has given it thier blessing. All that's needed is finalization - expected by the third quarter of 2007. In the interim, I can't see Cerberus jumping in with both feet to try to steer a ship they don't own yet. Likewise, DCX is methodically divesting themselves of anything that will add liability to a package they're looking to be relieved of. SO I'd think everything will remain "as is" until Cerberus and Daimler sign the necessary papers to complete this deal......no new info, no real changes to the current game plan, no new concepts going into developement, and no new irons added to the Chrysler fire........yet.

Based on what I've read, Cerberus doesn't have a history of being stingy with investment dollars. Take into account the overwhelming enthusiasts'/prospective buyers' response to the Challenger Concept Car, the fact that most of the pieces are already in place to bring this concept to production in a very short amount of time, AND the sales history/numbers of Ford's Mustang since redesigned in 2005 (in ALL of it's various incarnations)....... it all adds up to perfect conditions for a change in production and marketing philosophy.

What do you suppose YOU would do with Challenger production numbers and trim levels if YOU were running Cerberus?
Would you limit the number of cars you produced and minimize potential profits (from an existing resource)?
Would you limit the potential customer base by offering it ONLY with HO Hemi's (during a volatile fuel pricing period)?
Would you take note of the sales success Ford's had with the Mustang?
Would you continue to prepare for GM's re-entry into this segment of the market with the Camaro?
OR would you continue to take the "exclusionist approach" that's failed DCX in the past with this type of car?

MY inclination would be to offer it in;
a Rallye (base) model with the 235hp 3.5L V6 with a 6 speed autostick
an R/T model with the 350hp 5.7L Hemi V8 with a 5 speed autostick
an SRT8 model with the 425hp 6.1L Hemi V8 with a 5 speed autostick OR 6 speed manual
AND a VERY limited SuperBee model with the 510hp 6.4L Hemi V8 with a 5 speed autostick OR 6 speed manual
**These are similar to the trim levels being offered by Ford on the Mustang....
**Additional investment is minimal - DCX spent the majority of R&D and tooling $$$ on the Challenger already....
**These drivetrain components already exist, are tested, proven, and on existing LX platform cars (except the 6 speed manual - that's in the Viper)....
**It maximizes the availability/appeal to a broad range of customers' needs/wants/budgets.

With all of the resources already available to Cerberus to make the Challenger a real winner, they'd be foolish not to make use of them. And I don't think DCX OR Cerberus are willing to make ANY statements about future models until the deal is done. Any information being kicked around right now is "pre-acquisition", and probably moot or inaccurate.
I think we're in for a bit more "uncomfortably quiet" time before we get something solid "from corporate" on the Challenger. Until then, it's all speculation - so take it ALL with a grain of salt until Chrysler puts something in black and white.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Posted twice for some reason - sorry. [:@]
Old 05-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Has anyone seen the Mustang commercial? The one that says that mustang has been the only pony car for the past 40-something years. Ford is concerned. If priced affordable, Chrysler and Chevy will have a winner with theirs.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 AM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

an SRT8 model with the 425hp 6.1L Hemi V8 with a 5 speed autostick OR 6 speed manual
AND a VERY limited SuperBee model with the 510hp 6.4L Hemi V8 with a 5 speed autostick OR 6 speed manual
**Additional investment is minimal - DCX spent the majority of R&D and tooling $$$ on the Challenger already....
**These drivetrain components already exist, are tested, proven, and on existing LX platform cars (except the 6 speed manual - that's in the Viper)....
**It maximizes the availability/appeal to a broad range of customers' needs/wants/budgets.
Until then, it's all speculation - so take it ALL with a grain of salt until Chrysler puts something in black and white.
This would follow suit in how every other LX car has come out with the exception of the SuperBee.
Granted Charger sales have been slower then the 300 or magmum. But it seems the Charger is catching on now. I see a ton of them now.
Why would they break the mold that has been followed for the last 3 cars released on this chassis?

As for Ford. I saw that commercial. Its quite clear they are running scared. There has been no other american made pony car for years.
The Charger gives the Stang a good run, but the Stang is way lighter. GM had the GTO, but killed it. The Monte's and Impalas are a joke. Should be an interesting end to this decade, thats is if gas prices once again dont crush everything.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM

I am not sure of why only 9600 vehicles will hit the open market the first year.

Is it that they:

1. Are not sure of demand?
2. Want to create a demand by limiting production?
3. Are going to price the car so high it will only have 10k customers the first year?
4. Want to take their time on each vehicle and make sure it is built right? (ha ha ha)
5. Are afraid of all the corporate taxes they will owe if they sell too many?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 AM

Whatever reason for limiting it to 9,600, maybe this is why the first year is being called the 2008 model although it's not debuting until seven months or so INTO the model year. Probably, the '09 model will be full-scale production.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Where did this 9600 number come from?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Roughly 80 percent of the 12,000 units Mr. Dodgesales mentioned in his missive that opened this thread.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

I agree with ManGO.
Cerberus and DCX have agreed to a sale. UAW has given it thier blessing. All that's needed is finalization - expected by the third quarter of 2007. In the interim, I can't see Cerberus jumping in with both feet to try to steer a ship they don't own yet. Likewise, DCX is methodically divesting themselves of anything that will add liability to a package they're looking to be relieved of. SO I'd think everything will remain "as is" until Cerberus and Daimler sign the necessary papers to complete this deal......no new info, no real changes to the current game plan, no new concepts going into developement, and no new irons added to the Chrysler fire........yet.

Based on what I've read, Cerberus doesn't have a history of being stingy with investment dollars. Take into account the overwhelming enthusiasts'/prospective buyers' response to the Challenger Concept Car, the fact that most of the pieces are already in place to bring this concept to production in a very short amount of time, AND the sales history/numbers of Ford's Mustang since redesigned in 2005 (in ALL of it's various incarnations)....... it all adds up to perfect conditions for a change in production and marketing philosophy.

What do you suppose YOU would do with Challenger production numbers and trim levels if YOU were running Cerberus?
Would you limit the number of cars you produced and minimize potential profits (from an existing resource)?
Would you limit the potential customer base by offering it ONLY with HO Hemi's (during a volatile fuel pricing period)?
Would you take note of the sales success Ford's had with the Mustang?
Would you continue to prepare for GM's re-entry into this segment of the market with the Camaro?
OR would you continue to take the "exclusionist approach" that's failed DCX in the past with this type of car?

With all of the resources already available to Cerberus to make the Challenger a real winner, they'd be foolish not to make use of them. And I don't think DCX OR Cerberus are willing to make ANY statements about future models until the deal is done. Any information being kicked around right now is "pre-acquisition", and probably moot or inaccurate.
I think we're in for a bit more "uncomfortably quiet" time before we get something solid "from corporate" on the Challenger. Until then, it's all speculation - so take it ALL with a grain of salt until Chrysler puts something in black and white.
In agreement 100%! A limited production run makes no sense at all when just about everything for the Challenger is already in the parts bin. Investment capital firms are in the business of making cash flow fast and this will be a no brainer to produce as many and as affordable as possible. The Mustang proves the market is there to support from base to highend models.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:01 AM

I seriously question that number. I would think the 50,000 number we have heard makes more sense. (Of course...that assumes someone applies common sense)

Quick Reply: From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)