Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Driver door alignment/hinge movement?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door alignment/hinge movement?

In July, I saw a 2008 Challenger in a dealer showroom and noticed that the driver door did not appear to be closed or so I thought. After closer inspection it turned out that the hinged portion of the door was slightly inward from the front fender and the handle end slightly out from the rear quarter, yet the door was fully closed. When I picked my Challenger in August I checked to see that the doors were flush and aligned with the front fender and rear quarter, which they were. Today, I noticed that my driver door is now out of alignment like the one I saw in the dealer showroom, which has me wondering if the hinges are slightly loose resulting in an alignment problem over time. Has anyone else made a similar observation?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Default loose door hinge

I always noticed that my passenger side door was about 1/4 to 3/8 too low. When closed, the striker would lift it up to the correct positon. But now, when i open the door, it just drops from a loose lower hinge. I am afraid to take it in to be fixed for fear of them damaging the paint. so I plan on taking out the inner front fender wheelhouse and tightening the door hinge bolts myself. I tried a special door hinge s type wrench already.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM

Long doors found on 2-dr coupes always need to be watched for this kind of movement. The adjustments are not difficult, but the car is probably still under bumper to bumper warranty so take it in. But if it has to hit the striker to align that could cause other wear problems. But if you can handle it it would probably work best. That way you get it set just the way you want. I always try to keep my hood and trunk stops set correctly also.