Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Nissan Altima enters the two-door market

Old 06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Altima enters the two-door market

So the Japanese want a taste of American Muscle?

Nissan Altima enters the two-door market

Friday June 1, 2007

by MALCOLM GUNN / Wheelbase Communications

It would appear that rumors about the demise of the two-door-coupe category have been greatly exaggerated, although it wasn't long ago that it seemed difficult to find a good selection of these sporty machines.

Manufacturers were concentrating on high-volume, high-profit sport-utility vehicles and had little interest in slow sellers or tiny niche categories ... namely sporty two-doors.

BMW proved everyone wrong with its Mini Cooper. Make it fun and give it plenty of style and people will buy it. It's a philosophy that keeps the modern-day Mustang popular and it's the same philosophy that will bring a new Camaro to the party as well as a new Dodge Challenger.

Welcome to a coupe "revival" ... meet the Tennessee-built Nissan Altima Coupe. It's a fitting statement since the Altima sedan kicked of Nissan's comeback, dubbed the Nissan Revival, nearly six seasons ago.

But does this upstart two-door stand a chance? Does it have the right stuff?

Certainly generating attention should be no problem. You'll be forgiven for confusing the Altima Coupe, which arrives this summer, for the Nissan 350Z sports car or its upscale relation, the Infiniti G35 coupe. That places the Altima Coupe in pretty fast company and it's what Nissan believes is exactly the right product to win over empty-nesters, youthful singles and other demographic groups with limited passenger-space/access/cargo needs.

To help underscore the differences between the Altima Coupe and sedan, the designers chopped four inches between the front and rear wheels, reduced the overall length by slightly more than seven inches and lowered the height by 2.5 inches. These adjustments cut the Coupe's overall weight and add just the right sense of proportion that wouldn't be achieved by simply grafting a two-door body onto the sedan platform.

In fact, the only sheet metal shared between two- and four-door Altimas is the hood.

To the Altima's recently upgraded (less plastic-looking) interior, the Coupe has been endowed with a pair of distinctive bucket seats with prominent side bolsters for added lateral support. In back, a 60/40 split rear bench extends the cargo space, great for a weekend of skiing or to help bring home a few odds and sods from the building-supply store.

A more traditional parking-brake hand lever has also been added to the Coupe, replacing the sedan's foot-operated control.

The available powertrain packages are common to both Coupe and sedan. A 175-horsepower 2.5-liter four-cylinder is standard, while a 270-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 is optional. For the time being, the gasoline/electric hybrid drive system will only be available on sedan models.

Directing power to the front wheels is a six-speed manual transmission, while a continuously variable unit with available built-in "steps" (that can simulate the shifts of a traditional automatic) is optional.

Models include the 2.5 S and 3.5 SE and both arrive with the expected air conditioning, cruise control, power windows/locks/outside mirrors, anti-lock four-wheel-disc brakes and six air bags (including side-impact cushioning). Also standard are a dual-outlet exhaust system and keyless remote entry with push-button start.

Along with the bigger motor, the 3.5 SE adds traction control, 17-inch alloy wheels (four-cylinder models come with 16-inchers) and a power moonroof.

Leather-covered seats can be had at extra cost, as well as dual-zone climate control, nine-speaker Bose brand audio system, stability control to keep the Coupe heading where the driver intends, a backup camera and a navigation system.

Although it hasn't been announced, or even hinted
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Nissan Altima enters the two-door market

From the pics I've see, they're pretty good-looking cars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/148/76D812DE6CF0474E885E0D2BABB34FC1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a favorite actor of mine once said"A man has to know his limitations". Well a car company has to know its limitations. And muscle car it is not. No pedagree. No legacy. DNA and a reputation is what the american three have. Sorry but its just a 2 door coup no matter what they attept to do. Much like the wild west, only in america. But let them give it a whirl and find out how tuff it is.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:24 PM

I've been looking forward to seeing one of these in person. I like the looks but there's better options out there for me I think. I'd only be interested in the V6 one, but what's the point when for another $1,000 you can get a 350z? Or for the same price a Mustang GT?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

This does not compete anymore against the pony cars than the Stratus Coupe, Monte Carlo, and Mercury Probe (excuse me Cougar) did. This will compete against any of the remaining FWD mid-sized coupe market which appears to have lost its popularity. Don't get me wrong I like the looks, but it is not going to compete against the muscle cars. Also if they are not careful, that CVT is going to destroy their reputation along with the reliability issues with the 2.5L I4. The VQ 3.5L will be nice though paired up with a 6-speed manual.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

I've been looking forward to seeing one of these in person. I like the looks but there's better options out there for me I think. I'd only be interested in the V6 one, but what's the point when for another $1,000 you can get a 350z? Or for the same price a Mustang GT?
exactly what i was thinking if you want BANG FOR YOUR BUCK get Mustang your not going to beat it in price. Of course thats my personal opinion. Bring on more 2 doors!! more for me to line up at a red light in the challenger ^^
Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 AM

I was thinking at first, why bring out a 2 door when there is the 350z that can be had a little over the price of this for the lower end model 350z. Then I realized, They are probably making this to compete against the likes of the Toyota Solara. And is made for the people who want the coupe look with 4 seats which the 350z doesn't have.

And you really can't compare this to muscle cars. To me, what makes a muscle car is rear wheel drive, 2 doors with a V8 drivetrain. But that is just me. That is how I always have perceived what a muscle car is.