Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

LA 2007: U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R huge performance bargain at $69,850

Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LA 2007: U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R huge performance bargain at $69,850

Not only did we finally get to see the new U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R for the first time on these shores, but we also found out how much it will cost when it goes on sale next June in the States. Starting at $69,850 or slightly more for the premium package, this 7:38 Ring lapper represents a true performance bargain. In fact, with its twin-turbo 3.8L V6 churning out a healthy 480 HP and 430 ft-lbs of torque, this AWD supercar may bump the Z06 as the best bang-for-your buck when you factor in the practicality of its design. Fans of the new GT-R are well-versed in what they get for that money and can now see the undisguised face and tail in American trim. Carlos Ghosn himself revealed the car after we were teased with a quick animated trailer in which the GT-R led a certain German Turbo around various tracks and roads, seemingly without working up a sweat. That aforementioned Ring time certainly seems to back up the performance claims. Look for the GT-R in a select group of Nissan dealers that meet specific and stringent certification standards by early summer. Pre-orders will start in January, but we suggest you buy a tent and start camping out now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9/50F8E256DE4B415EBF76964800F8C5B9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Default RE: LA 2007: U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R huge performance bargain at $69,850

nordschleife time is amazing and for the price its definitely top-end Porsche models killer @ circuit

weird thing is tho that GT-R is not Skyline which will be different car based on 350Z which is strange

i was considering it for a while but i dont like the looks much tho interieur is HUGE step ahead for Nissan

notice 340kmph gauge! not shitty 140mph installed in Stang and probably in Challenger too (

Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like it doesn't even have cup holders. What's up with that?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 AM

Is it just me, or does the 70K price tag and term 'bargain' just not seem to go together all that well???
Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 AM

It's all relative..
Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I'll run into too many of these on the street. Its a awsome car... but not my cup of tea. At $ 70,000 I will more than likely not know anyone who owns one. I'll stick to my Challenger and be content with the max horsepower I get out of my american hardware. So to those who find this to be their car, good luck and have fun Oh and my youngest son just bought a 2006 6-speed 350Z, nice car and he really likes it. But alot more practicle than a GT-R, but if he had his choice. I'm betting he would take the GT-R.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Is the Acura NSR still around? Be kind of fun to pit these two against each other.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Again, however, per our V6 discussion:

In fact, with its twin-turbo 3.8L V6 churning out a healthy 480 HP and 430 ft-lbs of torque, this AWD supercar may bump the Z06 as the best bang-for-your buck when you factor in the practicality of its design.
Maybe, I get a second Chally w/ a V6 and apply some aftermarket assisted aspiration. Have that for really messing with people. They see the SXT and they think they know me and what I am, then the twin turbos kick in and the jaws drop!

Kind of fun trickenology.

Of course, might be kind of hard, to drive with my wife's size 8 lodged in various places for buying two!

Had to research this more, found this

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php $3500 for a belt driven turbo for a V6 that he (Thomas Knight) claims will up the power of a 3.5l V6 Magnum to run w/ an RT Magnum. Hmmmm?

I was saying this in jest, but if they offer a V6 w/ a manual, I might grab a used one a few years down the road to have a stable mate for the SRT Chally.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

The price difference between that and a Z06 is so minute I don't think it is fair to refer to that as such a baring in the sports car class; however, if it is a supercar class competitor, then it would be a bargin when comparing it against similar performing cars from Ferrari and other Italian supercars. I have my doubts about this car's success. Twin-turbo V6, AWD sport cars have not gone over very well in this country. The Supra and the 3000GT/Stealth although very nice cars, were not examples of success for their respective companies, hence the reason why they are not still in production.

As much as I like the VQ, I would have long-term reliability concerns about this. In my opinion it is better to use displacement as opposed to forced air induction as it will likely ware out quicker even after being reinforced. It also leaves less to modify later as the forced air induction route as already been utilized. I realize that you can always get upgraded turbos and the sort, but the upgraded turbos could be added to an engine that already made that level of power without the turbos and cause a greater increase as it was originally able to produce the power without the turbos.

Skippy, I'm not sure how well the 3.5L takes forced air-induction as neither it or its block siblings (3.3L, 3.8L, 3.2L, 2.7L, 4.0L) have ever offered a turbo in a production model car. It is true though that their was a concept (I think it was the Copperhead) that offered a supercharged version of the 2.7L, but that was never put into production. It is rumored that Chrysler tried adding a "medium-boost turbo" to the 3.8L OHV that they were considering to offer as a police package in the earily 90s Dodge Dynasty and it did not go over well and never met production. What I'm interested to see is whether Chrysler is planning on making the new Phoenix V6 family with plans of forced air-induction as they have with the "World Engine" I4s.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

This was from an update on his site.

MAGNUM, 300, CHARGER V6 SUPERCHARGER 2007-06-29

KNIGHT TURBOS HAS ADDED ANOTHER MAGNUM TO OUR STABLE. WE NOW OWN TWO TWIN MAGNUMS--BOTH BLACK, ONE 2.7 AND THE OTHER A 3.5--AND ARE PRODUCING SUPERCHARGER KITS FOR BOTH ENGINES. DESIGNED FOR A SAFE 4.5 TO 5 PSI, THESE SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE BELT DRIVE TURBOS WILL ADD 60-75 EXTRA PONIES TO YOUR MAGNUM, 300, OR CHARGER. THE 2.7 IS UNDERPOWERED--TO SAY THE LEAST--AND WITH OUR BDT WILL OUTRUN THE 3.5 AND ALMOST CATCH AN R/T. THE 3.5 WHEN SUPERCHARGED WILL RUN WITH AN R/T. THE UNITS CAN BE UPGRADED IN THE FUTURE WITH ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS NEEDED TO THE BLOWER BEARINGS, FUEL SYSTEM, COMPUTER, INTERCOOLER AND AN ENGINE BUILD WITH FORGED INTERNALS. OUR UNITS ARE CAPABLE OF 15+ PSI BOOST WITH THE PROPER PREPERATIONS AND UPGRADES.
Do you mean there maybe some longevity issues if you mate these blocks to non natural aspiration?

I guess you have a point. Of course the cynic in me could see them conceivably not offering a turbo charged option as they might perform as well as big mill 8's and then cannibalize sales from a productive cash cow. But maybe there are stability issues with it. Of course to your point see the bolded in the quote.

My mom had a Daytona ES (2.5 turbo 4cyl) that sucker would scoot and got pretty good gas mileage not the most resilient vehicle, however.

Quick Reply: LA 2007: U.S.-spec Nissan GT-R huge performance bargain at $69,850