Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FANTASTIC NEWS!

I don't believe that. Why would they have polled us about a V6 and 5.7L V8 model. They said it will be just a little higher than the Mustang which translates into a couple thou, nothing significant. 45,000 is not a high production capacity in the first place. Quit panicking!

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Administrator

im not panicing...im just not celebrating, either...my hopes are as high as i will allow them to get, and i keep telling myself...

"i drive a stratus...its not so bad, right?

Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM

I recall something my old man said when he got 1969 Road Runner. One day while talking with my Uncle who had a Cobra Jet Torino, my Uncle said damn this car burns to much gas for these high prices (high price in 69 less then a dollar a gallon), anyway, my old man says to his brother, boy if you can not afford the gas then don't buy the car. My Uncle had hog looking at wrist watch look on his face.

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

so theyre only going to make a high priced elitist model because fuel prices are high? [:@]
Old 04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

i thought that some people might be interested in this piece that i put together..and it might make for some good discussion:

https://dodgechallenger.com/faq/
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 AM

I like the way you think. We can only hope someone in a position of authority over at DCX thinks along the same lines.

i thought that some people might be interested in this piece that i put together..and it might make for some good discussion:

Old 04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

This was my lunch reading material today. Excellent analysis and reporting on the different possibilities.

I just hope you are wrong on the price of the 6.4L version if they come out with it..... but I can see where you may be right.

$60k_$70k is a lot to pay for a car.

Again, Great Job.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

thanks for the compliments....

as for the pricing of the 6.4L, i am basing that largely on the price of the viper, compared to the power of the viper. i cannot see dodge releasing a 40-50 grand 510hp challenger, when the viper would have less power, and costs twice as much. however, there are lots of rumors that the ZC viper will have a bigger engine, and alot more power...but it will also cost more...however, i have heard rumors that there might be a "hemi viper" at some point..so who knows.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Patrick you are like me in dreaming of all the possibilities available for the New Challenger. It boggles the mind what COULD happen but I truly believe that this will be the everymans muscle car and the reason I think this is because of what happened with the Charger and the obvious disappointment surrounding the end product. DCX knows that the faithful along with most enthusiasts were turned off by what they ended up offering considering the legacy of the original Charger. This can be their way of making ammends for that mistake while capturing a great deal of the pony car segment IF they price it right and get down to it and aren't the last in line as they were back in the day.

I think that option 2c. is the lineup that will come forth since there will be no need for the 2.7 V/6 and the 3.5 is the high output variant. Offering the 2.7 just muddies the water as far as the performance image is concerned in my opinion. Both current production Hemis will surely be offered to follow suit with the other rear drive lineups.

The BIG question is what plans do they have for the 6.4? And this is where it gets kinda foggy at least for me. As you have stated there is rumor that the Viper will become a Hemi car but will they really give up the V/10 Viper after this long of a run? There is alot of bragging rights that go along with being able to say they are the only domestic manufacturer to have a high performance V/10 production car. I just don't know that they are willing to give up this claim and a proven although not real profitable package.

Then there is the Fire Power and if it is produced where will it fall in the lineup? Is it to be a Viper replacement? Is this the Platform for the 6.4 and will it be a middle to upper market segment offering perhaps aimed at the Vette? There is hardly a need for two of this type (Viper) of vehicle but the development cost for the 6.4 will have to be paid for with something other than the crate engine market.

Which brings me back to the New Challenger. Will the 6.4 be offered in the Challenger? If they are wanting a GT500 killer then yes this will be the way to go and you will pay top dollar I agree for this capability. Since the Challenger is the car I am waiting for and I will not need the ULTIMATE to go knock of a seldom encountered GT500 I don't see the point of them offering the 6.4 but don't get me wrong I'm not against it by any means! Hell with the 6.4 in the right hands even the "invincible" Vette would be fair game and that's just COOL!

So I guess to sum it up I would say that I'm still thinking as I always have that the drivetrain lineup will be about the same as the rest of the reardrive lineup with the exception of the 2.7. I also don't think there will be a stripper version (Deputy). And that if offered that the 6.4 will be a very limited and exclusively priced model. I guess I'll STILL be dreaming of owning that T/A someday though!

Oh and Patrick I think you're pricing is right on! They will be out to capture market segment from the Mustang as well as those waiting for the Camaro. BUT the time is NOW! DCX cannot waste time getting this car to market with the Camaro hot on it's heels. Yeah I know it's a junk Chevy but having the Challenger to the market first will pull some of those sales from GM and bring new converts into the DODGE fold!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Good ideas. I personally prefer 2d. myself. I doubt Chrysler will offer the 2.7L because they didn't want to drop it in the Charger (except for retal fleet models) because they knew what it would do to their preformance image. I really hope they get rid of that engine all together, due to its bad reputation. The pricing is probably accurate. I like the idea of a stripe down model where you can just get a V8 or V6 without any special options, just as the SXT was during the beginning in some cars. Good job overall.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 PM

They should at least offer the 6.4 at special order, for those people who are willing to pay for it!

Quick Reply: FANTASTIC NEWS!