Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Fully Functional Hood Inlets?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fully Functional Hood Inlets?

But yeah, I'm not sure that would be all that impressive visually (may get the cold air induction) but I doubt it would shake much as, stated by someone before, engines are so well balanced and mounted, they ain't shaking much these days.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:55 AM

I would be willing to kick some cash in for a really functional factory option like the fresh air induction scoop formally known as shaker.

You can throw in the bigger cam with the scoop as a package so it gets that idle lope that would make it shake with the whole car so "shaker" would not be a lie.

ORIGINAL: DK challenger

I would be willing to pay $1,000 more for a functional shaker hood from the factory. Would any one else?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Your right about that DamnSkippy, it won't be much oof a shaker without it shaking.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: specwar64

Do i hear "shaker with fully operable butterflies here"? Would be nice if they offered that in time.
I really would have liked the functional butterfly valves. If it was purely a cost issue, they could have saved money by using the manual under-the-dash cable control that they had on the 1970-71 Challengers and 'Cudas. That system worked well. You just had to remember to pull the flap closed when it rained.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 AM

You could be right Overpowerd, with a bigger cam it might shake better, it would sound better too.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 AM

I would be willing to pay $1,000 more for a functional shaker hood from the factory. Would any one else?
I would. That is in the ballpark with the price of the original shakers on the 1970-71 Challengers and 'Cudas. Back in those days, the shaker was a $97 option on a $3,500 car (2.8% of the sales price). Remember, you are not only paying for the shaker air scoop and related hardware, but also a different hood.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

I would. That is in the ballpark with the price of the original shakers on the 1970-71 Challengers and 'Cudas. Back in those days, the shaker was a $97 option on a $3,500 car (2.8% of the sales price). Remember, you are not only paying for the shaker air scoop and related hardware, but also a different hood.
I would love to see this option on a production car. If were to come though, you can bet it'll be expensive and I would bet it would be limited to short run. The new Challengers aren’t set up the way the old ones where. It wont be as simple as putting the shaker and carb together on the manifold. The new challengers throttle body is at the front of the engine. To put a Shaker on you’re looking at a major rework of the air induction system.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Like I said in another thread, functional means a performance enhancement which this does not do.

I think we all initially thought it would certainly have a ram air effect into the throttle body. Oh well, certainly disappointed.

I did not like that Dodge did that. Aftermarket here I come.
With that K&N intake they had on the concept they had us believing that would be. I wish they would have made them functional.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-02-2008, 04:56 PM

If they don't offer a shaker I will be forced to get a K&N intake. If they do offer a shaker how much more horsepower will it make?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM

The old shakers were good for 5 hp at the top end.

Quick Reply: Fully Functional Hood Inlets?