Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Funny call from dealer! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/funny-call-dealer-3979/)

topduarte 07-23-2008 08:45 AM

Funny call from dealer!

One of the local Dodge dealers had an orange SRT on their floor that had not been sold. Salesman told me a few weeks back that they were taking bids but they had already turned down an offer of $55k.

Well, he called me and they lowered their price to $10k over sticker and asked if I was interested. I laughed and said no, I will wait.

They should have taken that $55k offer a few weeks back!!

Serves them good as they try to get every cent and they got screwed!! LOL!!

JJMPB 07-23-2008 09:00 AM

RE: Funny call from dealer!

yup see what happend when you get greedy

jockomikey 07-23-2008 09:17 AM

Happens about six times a day on ebay. Someone will bid 47-48k on a Challenger and the auction will end "reserve not met". What a bunch of fools not to take 47-48k.....Lol

fatcat 07-23-2008 09:21 AM

I'm glad its comming around to bite them on the a&$ as I to called several dealers in search of a 2008 SRT 8 Challenger and many refused my offers of $1,000 over MSRP because they said consumer demand is keeping the price high and them asking $10,000 to $20,000 over. Now one dealer in particular Miller Dodge of Springfield, PA. is constantly calling me offering me a 2008 SRT 8 in Black for 1st $1,000 over MSRP, 2nd at MSRP, and now 3rd come in and talk I'm sure I can discount it a little! Now you check thier website and they have 3 Challengers on thier lot for sale. I hope they get stuck with at least one and have to pay floor plan interest on it for 6 months!!!
I'm sorry but I'm bitter because I tried 38 dealers in the tri state area and was willing to pay cash for one at $1,000 over MSRP and thier GREED kept them from selling to me and now their calling me...NO WAY Ha Ha on them as now I've finally ordered a 2009 R/T and will be much more happy with that !! Fat Cat

RyanNY 07-23-2008 09:21 AM

About 3 weeks ago a local Dodge dealership sold an Orange 08" for $69,700. People are crazy I guess lol.

00DakotaR/T 07-23-2008 09:46 AM

Dealers crack me up too much. They dont care about the cars, and they dont care about the customers. All they care about is trying to make a buck. If they had any brains at all they would see if they cared and learned about the cars, that would help the customers. In the end they would get great service then. I guess cheating a few idiots out of a little money is good enough for them though.

hemicuda 07-23-2008 09:48 AM

HaHa! I agree completely. Price gouging is wrong and unethical in my opinion. But, such is commonplace in the auto industry. Just because you have the ability to rip people off because of high demand and low supply does not justify it. I hope that every dealer that is charging over MSRP gets stuck with the cars.

Paladin06 07-23-2008 10:41 AM

There is a dealer my area that wanted $66K for his three cars so I went out of state to get mine. Well I got mine and came back he still has two of the three on his lot. He called me last week to say he had lowered the price to $53K and if I knew anyone interested.

ORIGINAL: hemicuda

HaHa! I agree completely. Price gouging is wrong and unethical in my opinion. But, such is commonplace in the auto industry. Just because you have the ability to rip people off because of high demand and low supply does not justify it. I hope that every dealer that is charging over MSRP gets stuck with the cars.

SRT/ATE/U 07-23-2008 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: jockomikey

Happens about six times a day on ebay. Someone will bid 47-48k on a Challenger and the auction will end "reserve not met". What a bunch of fools not to take 47-48k.....Lol

Got mine today for 45,100 no reserve :) I had one lined up for 5k over MSRP, had a deposit on it. So, When we told them that we werent going to be buying the one they have, for 5k over, they said thats fine, we can sell it for 15,000 over msrp. Now they are trying to refuse to give back the deposit, even tho I signed NOTHING. lol dealers...

hemicuda 07-23-2008 11:08 AM

If they can sell it for 15K over sticker, why would they care about your deposit? Just another example of a shady dealer.

ORIGINAL: SRT/ATE/U

ORIGINAL: jockomikey

Got mine today for 45,100 no reserve :) I had one lined up for 5k over MSRP, had a deposit on it. So, When we told them that we werent going to be buying the one they have, for 5k over, they said thats fine, we can sell it for 15,000 over msrp. Now they are trying to refuse to give back the deposit, even tho I signed NOTHING. lol dealers...

RyanNY 07-23-2008 11:15 AM

The same dealership I mentioned before also has a Black 08" and I always get a kick out of thinking about the $28,700 Market adjustment sticker on the car ha.

hemicuda 07-23-2008 11:20 AM

Market adjustment = how much we think we can rip off our customers.

SRT/ATE/U 07-23-2008 11:39 AM

Ive talked to dozens of dealerships in Canada, and I even had one tell me that an 08 SRT8's MSRP for Canada is 56,900....There are zero dealers in Canada letting them go for less than 65-70,000. Its ridiculous. I understand the mark up, of course, its a limited run! However, Chrysler releases them (or so I would think) for US...not so the dealerships can make an over abundance of money on them. I somehow doubt that the limited run was a reward to dealershps and car salesmen.

Its bad trying to buy one in the U.S, and its outright disgusting in Canada, since were only getting 500 up here. 45,100 off eBay works for me...thanks anyway Dealers.

JLockhart 07-23-2008 12:36 PM

Someone help me out here, because I just don’t get it. Is a consumer ripping off the dealer when they pay LESS than MSRP for a car? In what essential way is it different when a dealer charger more than MSRP when that is the price the market will bear. Either way, it’s a transaction both parties agree to – so where is the rip off?

A dealer can try to charge any price they want, but they can’t force anyone to buy it at that price. No one has to have a Challenger to survive, it’s strictly a want and not a need.

The Challenger will find its market value, whatever it is. If all dealers sold Challengers at sticker, there would be a bunch of opportunists buying them and then reselling on Ebay. And if the dealer overprices the car, that is their error, and they will end up holding an expensive piece of inventory until they figure out what the market price really is.

Personally, I would not pay a penny over sticker, but I know some folks will. Maybe some are idiots. Maybe some make well into 6 figures, want the car right now, and are willing to pay to be the first on the block to have one.

One year from now, there will be plenty of Challengers out there, the new Camaro will be the latest musclecar, and you’ll be able to get a Challenger at a discount. I love capitalism.

Just my thoughts, I might be missing something, and it wouldn’t be the first time.

rickerda 07-23-2008 01:11 PM

Well said...

ORIGINAL: JLockhart

Someone help me out here, because I just don’t get it. Is a consumer ripping off the dealer when they pay LESS than MSRP for a car? In what essential way is it different when a dealer charger more than MSRP when that is the price the market will bear. Either way, it’s a transaction both parties agree to – so where is the rip off?

A dealer can try to charge any price they want, but they can’t force anyone to buy it at that price. No one has to have a Challenger to survive, it’s strictly a want and not a need.

The Challenger will find its market value, whatever it is. If all dealers sold Challengers at sticker, there would be a bunch of opportunists buying them and then reselling on Ebay. And if the dealer overprices the car, that is their error, and they will end up holding an expensive piece of inventory until they figure out what the market price really is.

Personally, I would not pay a penny over sticker, but I know some folks will. Maybe some are idiots. Maybe some make well into 6 figures, want the car right now, and are willing to pay to be the first on the block to have one.

One year from now, there will be plenty of Challengers out there, the new Camaro will be the latest musclecar, and you’ll be able to get a Challenger at a discount. I love capitalism.

Just my thoughts, I might be missing something, and it wouldn’t be the first time.

Hemi R/T 07-23-2008 01:27 PM

MSRP stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price but some dealers think its Manufacturers Sucker Retail Price when they add on their mark-up..

jrgkls 07-23-2008 02:04 PM

This is an e-mail exchange I had with a salesman in Texas. The 3rd and 4th e-mail should explain everything HAHAHAHAHAHA. I hope I pieced it together well enough to follow. I left the dealer name in the header but not the salesman's name.

1st e-mail
Price 65K

Response: Ignored it

2nd e-mail
Subject: Me again Texas!! " 08 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 " PRICED REDUCED!!
To:
Date: Monday, July 14, 2008, 7:09 PM

Response: Not now thanks, let me know when it drops to $42,000.

3rd e-mail
Subject: Good Morning " 08 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 " Order your own 2009
To:
Date: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 9:31 AM
I understand, the Numbered Challenger's are bringing a premium, same as a numbered painting and such these Hot Rods will Appreciate not depreciate. Would you order a 2009, I'm taking order's for the new model year. The full aray of color's are available including the old Dodge B5 Blue, along with your choice of three Powerplant's 3.5 V6 250 HP SE Trim, the 5.7 375 HP Hemi R/T, and of course the MONSTER! 6.1 Hemi 425 HP SRT-8 available w/the Standard Tranny in '09.
Please go to Dodge.com to view all the configuration's and colors and stuff.
God Bless You & Your's,

Response:I beg to differ with your assessment of the current and future value of the 'Numbered Challenger's'. There are numerous 2008 Challengers on ebay that haven't met the reserve and are reasonably priced in the low 40's.
Yes, I will be ordering a 2009 Challenger but not from Ragland. I would be truly uncomfortable with ordering from a dealership that is trying to sell me a car for more than $20,000 over MSRP when other dealers are selling the same car slightly above MSRP.
Thank you for your time.

4th e-mail
Didn't mean to offend, those Dealer's must have more than one..What I didn't know or understand was that this 1st "go-round" when a dealer ordered a Challenger, they have to agree to purchase about $13,000 worth of tool's, thats why on the first ones sold there was a "market adjustment".

I didn't have knowledge of this until Mr. Ragland informed me.

Be Blessed,

Response: Ignored it

2007HemiCuda 07-23-2008 04:29 PM

Wow, so you pay for the dealership's new tools?

Yankee 07-23-2008 04:53 PM

I'm with you guys on the gouging dealers, I think they should be flogged incessantly within inches of their lives.

BUT...

What really burns my biscuits even more are the people who actually pay for the extra gouging and make it all possible in the first place. If these morons who "just gotta be the first on their block to have one" didn't pay these outrageous "adjusted dealer market" fees, they wouldn't exist.

So, you see, my beef isn't really with the gouging dealers. It's with the people who make it possible. Make sense?

Husker Donn 07-23-2008 05:17 PM

I stopped in a dealer yesterday that had two Hemi orange cars. No sunroofs. They wanted 5k over. When I told him that they were selling on ebay for list, he laughed @ me and said that they would sell them to left coast dealers if they couldn't sell them here. Now I am the one laughing. He said they have had them for two weeks.

These guys dont seem to understand the economy is in the tank and the general public has no intrest in a car that gets what, 12-14 mpg? I hope Chrysler llc stays in business long enough for me to get my 09 R/T! lol

When I told him I had a 09 on order and was purchasing for invoice, he said "yeah we will be selling 09's down to MSRP."

I found me a good dealer and salesman, same guy i bought my Daytona from 3 years ago, so there is @ least one dealer who gets it.

jrgkls 07-25-2008 10:47 AM

Just got a call from another dealership wantng to sell me an '08. Told him I want to order an '09 SRT. He couldn't give me a price because he claimed the owner hasn't decided what the pricing will be. What the H ell? What now?

CUIN10 07-25-2008 12:24 PM

Contact the Better Business Bureau and you will have your deposit back the same day! It's against the law!

jrgkls 07-25-2008 12:40 PM

Latest from Ragland - remember it started at 62k

Is anyone else still dealing with this kind of crap?

Ragland Motor Co.

Thank you for your inquiry and the opportunity to earn your business.

Mr. Ragland has reduced the price in an effort to keep this "Street Rod" here local along with the Tax Dollar's, he has dealer's calling on a daily basis to try to purchase it. It is one of the last Orange Challenger's left around these part's.

Based on the inquiry notes on your emailed inquiry, I do have this '08 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 with stock# 28331 in stock and it does need a home.

This is Number 1413 of 6,400 Built.

I can sell this Dodge Challenger SRT-8 to you for the "Market Value Adjustment" price of $54,985 + T.T.L.

RUBBERBNDMAN 07-25-2008 12:43 PM

They will be coming down....$46k buy it now on ebay......$2k closed transport $48k in driveway....

BootCamp 07-25-2008 01:19 PM

JLockhart, I agree with just about everything you said. However show me a customer who has bought their Challenger for $20K under MSRP and Ill agree that the game is fair. Some of the stealerships operate like a circus sideshow. Half dont even know their product!
The end result is youre paying a premium price for an 08 based on speculation or impatience. Im waiting for a musclecar to drive and enjoy, so the huge markup over MSRP isnt for me.

Dodge Favre ever 07-25-2008 01:25 PM

Yesterday I had lunch at a McD's across from a Dodge dealer. Out front was a Hemi Orange Challenger sitting. I passed this dealer before I knew it was there. Out from the showroom came a customer and salesman. The customer completely ignored the Challenger looking at a Caliber. I saw a biker driveby, watched him. Sure enough he made a U-turn and stopped to look. He was there for about 10 minutes looking at the car. The salesman outside didn't to talk to the biker. No else came outside to talk to him either.
So I figured I would go over there to look at it too. Just to check the badge # 4325 I was there less than a minute out pops another salesman. :D

PS. 52K

RUBBERBNDMAN 07-25-2008 01:36 PM

I got a call this am from dealer wanting to know if I wanted car still,I said at sticker he said no but he is sick of circus in his showroom.I upped offer to 45k he still didnt take so he will go through another week end of tire kickers bothering him and his staff.

adaptabl 07-25-2008 03:34 PM

Ive talked to dozens of dealerships in Canada, and I even had one tell me that an 08 SRT8's MSRP for Canada is 56,900....There are zero dealers in Canada letting them go for less than 65-70,000. Its ridiculous. I understand the mark up, of course, its a limited run! However, Chrysler releases them (or so I would think) for US...not so the dealerships can make an over abundance of money on them. I somehow doubt that the limited run was a reward to dealershps and car salesmen.

Its bad trying to buy one in the U.S, and its outright disgusting in Canada, since were only getting 500 up here. 45,100 off eBay works for me...thanks anyway Dealers.
Call a Windsor dealer. They have many in stock and will sell to anyone at MRSP or below. I talked to one salesman who said they had a list of 22 names looking to buy one and no one was still interested after they arrived. 500 for canada is lots to go around.

Justinec101 07-25-2008 04:35 PM

"The customer completely ignored the Challenger looking at a Caliber"

What is wrong with people??? I was looking at a challenger, a guy and his wife came up and stood there looking at it. She goes "I'd rather have the truck". . . AAAAHHHH

RUBBERBNDMAN 07-25-2008 09:18 PM

I saw RAGLANDS post on Auto Trader today PRICE REDUCED and if you find the ad check it out,it states "MAN UP" please.He should man up with a no reserve auction on EBAY

mac 07-25-2008 10:43 PM

Well, I might be getting my challenger sooner than I thought if they are starting to have problems selling the 08's and now the 09 production starts. Rather wait and get a very good deal than buy now and regret later (I am cheap).

1971cuda convert 07-25-2008 11:23 PM

I dont think there haveing proublems selling the 08s for around msrp or a couple grand above .Its when they want 10 or 15 thousand over its geting tough . A used one sold here last week through the regular car auction and brought 47900 used .

mac 07-26-2008 08:19 AM

I think you are right the main reason they have not sold is they are being listed above MSRP to high by various dealers Even my local was taking orders for 09s for 5000 above MSRP but I guess you can ask for any price, it will just sit like the housing market I still believe the later production 09s will not command full MSRP but I could be wrong

SRT/ATE/U 07-26-2008 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: adaptabl

Call a Windsor dealer. They have many in stock and will sell to anyone at MRSP or below. I talked to one salesman who said they had a list of 22 names looking to buy one and no one was still interested after they arrived. 500 for canada is lots to go around.

I called A dodge dealer in Windsor, and they do indeed have one. Salesman told me MSRP was 52,500...I asked what number of 500 it was and apparently the Canadian ones dont have numbers, the tag on the dash just said First Edition Challenger 500. Either not numbered or its #500...im guessing the first.

Currently I have one from the states that I bought off ebay for 45,100. There seems to be a bit of uncertainty as to wether or not they can sell an american car to a canadian, but my old man lives down there too, so I can go that route if needed. Bottom line is, 45000 + shipping, tax and border charges is gonna run me 51,000 all together...52,500+ tax, delivery and all the other crap is gonna be closer to 60...Great to be Canadian..

firebird1999us 07-26-2008 10:10 AM

Here's the sticker at Town & Country Dodge in Conyers, Ga:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...itledprice.jpg

SRT/ATE/U 07-26-2008 11:22 AM

Sigh, heres another great example. I spent all morning calling dealerships across Canada, just to see what they were charging. I got probably a dozen at 52,500-57,000. Then I get ahold of a guy in Winnipeg, He says he has 4 Challys. 2 black, 1 orange and a silver on the way. I say ok, how much are you asking for them? He replies 72,000. So i say ok, so 20,000$ over msrp? He says "Yes, dealerships across canada have decided that this is the asking price, and you wont find any for under 70"

Sigh.

2007HemiCuda 07-26-2008 11:40 AM

Let time be your friend, when the 2009s and Camaro roll out watch prices drop. If you want to be first on the block then buck up and pay.

SRT/ATE/U 07-26-2008 11:44 AM

oh i realize that, and i dont think the 52,000 is that unreasonable...however having some guy tell me that 72 is the going rate is what upsets me.

SKiDs33t 07-26-2008 01:11 PM

Well, if you found them for 52-57 then you know hes lying through his teeth. Let him know hes full of it.

00DakotaR/T 07-27-2008 02:17 PM

After reading this post I had to call my local Dealership, Tacoma Dodge. They had three and two went to custom buyers, the third had his financing fall through, so they initally asked for $66,000. After calling, im not sure if he was truthful or not, they told me they unloaded it last week for just over $60,000. It hurts to hear about someone willing to pay that much for a car like that. Reminds me of the scam they call Barret-Jackson, due to them I cant afford nearly any muscle cars now.