Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Funny call from dealer!

Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funny call from dealer!

He called me Friday I offered sticker he said it had custom wheels 47k.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 00DakotaR/T
...... Reminds me of the scam they call Barret-Jackson, due to them I cant afford nearly any muscle cars now.
I guess how you look at it depends on which side of the gavel you,re on. Sellers who were in our position 30 years ago and bought their Challengers for under $5300 love it. I hope Im as fortunate 30 years from now. Yeah - like I,ll still be around then.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM

On that kind of note I can understand about guys that have had their cars kept nice for the last 30 to 40 years, and now it is paying off. What really bothers me about it is the rich snobs that have become car collectors to buy a car then wait a year and try to sell it for more. I love mopar, but no Plymouth is worth $1,000,000.00. With collectors buying and selling all the old muscle cars for so much, Joe blow down the street now wants $48,000. for his 318 74 Challenger. Now that leaves guys that can afford some older cars stuck buying old big cars, which are nice, but I would love to get my hands on an old E body.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 AM

Even worse is a guy I called a few weeks ago when I saw an ad in the paper for a '73 Maverick (I had two over the years: a '70 and a '77. Both were excellent cars for the money at the time). Out of curiosity, I called to see how much he wanted (I was willing to go as high as say, $5,000 for a fairly decent one). He tells me, $72,000. At first, I thought he misspoke and actually wanted $7,200, which I would have considered high. No, he actually wanted $72,000. I asked him why he thought it was worth so much. His reply was that since it was an old car, it was worth a fortune. Jeeez. [&:]
Old 07-28-2008, 04:36 AM

I love mopar, but no Plymouth is worth $1,000,000.00
The true value of a car? Whatever someone is willing to pay.

With collectors buying and selling all the old muscle cars for so much, Joe blow down the street now wants $48,000. for his 318 74 Challenger.
And Joe will probably get the $48,000...
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 AM

On that kind of note I can understand about guys that have had their cars kept nice for the last 30 to 40 years, and now it is paying off. What really bothers me about it is the rich snobs that have become car collectors to buy a car then wait a year and try to sell it for more. I love mopar, but no Plymouth is worth $1,000,000.00. With collectors buying and selling all the old muscle cars for so much, Joe blow down the street now wants $48,000. for his 318 74 Challenger. Now that leaves guys that can afford some older cars stuck buying old big cars, which are nice, but I would love to get my hands on an old E body.
I understand what you,re saying - the collectors have no passion for the cars. The collectibility / supply & demand monopoly that dealerships are benefitting from now on the 08s is ours down the road. I think we stand to gain MUCH more than the dealers in the long term.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

I love mopar, but no Plymouth is worth $1,000,000.00
The true value of a car? Whatever someone is willing to pay.
I understand what Dakota is saying and he's right: NO Plymouth is actually "worth" $1 million. No car ever made is actually worth $1 million, unless it's gold-plated. However, what mopar says is right, too: "value" is whatever someone is willing to pay. There are always people who WILL pay inflated prices. Look at the folks who payed thousands over MSRP for an '08 Challenger. All they would have had to do is let the cars sit on the dealers' lots and the price would have started falling. Look at what's happening on e-Bay. What a car is actually worth and its value are two separate things.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 AM

I had 1 email 2 phone calls before 10am. I have one but they are willing to sell at MSRP. Keep looking if you dont have..watch and be pissed if you paid $65-$70k. 0953 in the parking lot ready to roll.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 AM

I have had the worst business conversations in my life with the sales manager of the san jose, ca, steven's creek dealership I'm dealing with.

he called me a cocky smart ass, and then I asked who I needed to complain to about the customer service and he started apologizing.
this was all because i was giving him the business after not returning my calls or messages for a weak straight and explaining to him how a normal car transaction is supposed to work.

this is a 40+ year old "professional" talking to a 21 year old kid paying cash.

all in all, I'm still getting the car.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 PM

CASH? like paper route money? SCARFACE comes to mind when I read this..anyone else?

Quick Reply: Funny call from dealer!