Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

GM To Reveal Camaro Plans This Week

Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM To Reveal Camaro Plans This Week

It wouldn't surprise me if they found more out about the Camaro than we know thus far about the Challenger
but maybe DCX will speed things up with all this Camaro news. Is this wishful thinking on my part?

Report: GM To Reveal Camaro Plans This Week

Date posted: 08-07-2006

DETROIT — General Motors is about to make it official.

As reported earlier this year, GM is planning to produce the Chevy Camaro in mid-to-late 2008 as a 2009 model, according to supplier sources. But according to a report in the Detroit Free Press, GM will make production plans official during a speech this week by Chairman Rick Wagoner at a conference in Traverse City.

Consumers and media alike have been buzzing since the Camaro concept was unveiled in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It will be aimed at the same audience — mostly aging Baby Boomers — as the Ford Mustang and the soon-to-be-revived Dodge Challenger.

The Free Press said the production Camaro is expected to be offered with a choice of three engines, including a V6 and two V8s. The car will be built on the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the next-generation Pontiac GTO and one or two new sport sedans from Chevy and Pontiac.

What this means to you: GM couldn't sit on such a winner at a time when they need them. But how long a lifespan will all these neo-muscle cars have in an era of $3-plus per gallon of gas?

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Default RE: GM To Reveal Camaro Plans This Week

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The Free Press said the production Camaro is expected to be offered with a choice of three engines, including a V6 and two V8s. ... But how long a lifespan will all these neo-muscle cars have in an era of $3-plus per gallon of gas?
Obviously, they'll have much longer lifespans with V-6s being offered as an option. Hopefully, this will help put a V-6 in the Challenger, too.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 AM

I think that production of the Camaro will produce even stiffer muscle car competition. This is a good thing for the customer.

Is the Camaro / Challenger really being built to target the "Aging Baby Boomers"? I'm Gen X and I love it, I actually think that sentence should be that the Camaro / Challenger is being built for the "Aging Baby Boomers Wallet." lol

I guess it is true because every new Mustang I see has an old man puttzing around in it, lol.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Just keep in mine this is an article and not my writing.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think they need to offer a V6 with it; otherwise, they will be cutting themselves very short in sales. Obviously the person who wrote the question about the success about the Camaro with fuel prices doesn't know GMs history of fuel mileage with V8s. The manual versions of the Camaro 5.7L were getting around 28 mpg, that is a higher fuel mileage rating than what my V6 is rated at. If they offer DOD & VVT on the Camaro mix with the tall geared T-56 Tremec they very well could get 30 mpg. Also if people are willing to buy SUVs from GM that are rated at 22 mpg, they will get a more fuel efficient Camaro.

I think there will be models of the Challenger that are made for people who care about fuel economy and power and others just for power. The 5.7L models will probably be made for those who want a compromise. If the 5.7L is given a T-56 6-speed I wouldn't be surprised if it got around 27-28 mpg.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

I think that production of the Camaro will produce even stiffer muscle car competition. This is a good thing for the customer.

Is the Camaro / Challenger really being built to target the "Aging Baby Boomers"? I'm Gen X and I love it, I actually think that sentence should be that the Camaro / Challenger is being built for the "Aging Baby Boomers Wallet." lol

I guess it is true because every new Mustang I see has an old man puttzing around in it, lol.
I don't know, I see people of all ages driving them. The thing is a good portion of people in Generations X & Y are currently raising families or they just drive Honda Civics with exhaust systems the size of coffee cans. The question is if GM wants to do it right or wrong. If they want to do it right, they will offer the less expensive engines for the lower levels, meaning they will either offer the 3.5L or 3800 series III as the base engine instead of the 3.9L DOD VVT. A version of the 5.3L to compete against the GT instead of having a base V6 then jumping to the 6.0L Corvette spec engine for the Z28 while missing the middle ground.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts