Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

GM vs. DCX

Old 05-31-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GM vs. DCX

Comparing the Mustang gt to the challenger concept is not realistic because the concept has a 425 horse hemi engine. They are not in the same class or the same price range.

Compare the Mustang gt500 to the challenger concept. This will give you a more accurate price range. I'm guessing 45-50k for both.

Now if DCX makes a challenger to compete with the mustang gt at 30k. It will have a 300 hp motor and less costly tranny in it also to bring cost down.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I totally agree....you have to compare it to the Ford GT500 and not a standard Mustang. Certainly apples and orange comparison.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

BTW: Sorry about the hood scoop post. I looked but didn't see it below and realized later that it had already been discussed. Thanks for not beating me up about it also!!!

2008 Chevy Camaro vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger

I ask myself about this question because I am an x-gm guy. I owned a trans am and had nothing but problems with it and for some reason I still loved it. This all changed when I saw the Challenger. I new I wanted one and decided that I was going to become a DCX guy. So please bear with me as I learn the intracasies of the Dodge world. I like the fact that Dodge puts V8 in its cars and even though the Charger is 4 doors, the SRT8 is pretty sweet.

I am still pissed the the Camaro/Firebird line was pulled. Maybe if the 4th gen's didn't look like crap they would have sold a few. The new Camaro looks terrible to me. It is the worse retro of the 3 major American retro muscle cars. I can not see the 69 camaro in that car especially the back end. Same old gm I guess. So the answer is simple to me. I do not want to buy that car from gm. They should be ashamed of the gto. The look really embarrasses the company and the classic gto. No wonder they do not sell. Finally, i went to a new camaro concept forum and all the posts were about rustangs and kicking everyone elses ass on the street and I said that is not me, not that crowd.

I think that Dodge has a winner here.

Welcome to the site bored out. If you are asking if the Challenger will be affordable, then I would say it depends on what your definition of affordable. Many of these people will tell you I am convinced that they will include an entire line-up, more than just the 6.1L model. They need to have a V6 model for people who just like the style and don't want to pay the insurance premiums and pay for the engine they really don't need. I would like them to offer a strip down version with the 5.7L HEMI for those who just want preformance.

I also share your distaste for the current styling of the GTO and future styling of the Camaro. The Camaro to me looks more like a bad rip off of a Honda Accord from the front, and looks like a current Corvette that had something dropped on it. The GTO looks identical to the 1997-2003 Grand Prix coupe, which ripped off its styling from its baby brother the Grand Am (the second to last generation). I also am not impressed with GM's lackluster quality and I don't believe these outlets that claim newer cars are more reliable, no matter what brand they are.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

loki933, the base retail for the Charger SRT-8 is $38,095. If they offer this engine in the R/T instead of the SRT badge as it appeared in the concept, then it probably won't cost near as much. I expect that it will cost in the lower 30s.

About the cost of Techman BD's Mustang, you guys are really surprised? I'm not. When was the last time you got a car for what it was actually listed at brand new. It is always inflated, and with the high demand for the Mustang, it doesn't surprise me that they jacked it up that high.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

I am surprised nobody has commented on my previous post detailing the price of the 06 Mustang GT a few days ago.

Does anybody want to share their thoughts?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I am surprised nobody has commented on my previous post detailing the price of the 06 Mustang GT a few days ago.

Does anybody want to share their thoughts?
Well the only thing I would like to comment on is you made a mistake about the automatic. The new Mustang GT uses a 5-speed not a 4-speed. The truth is the base number $25K is hardly ever what it is sold at. I believe your right that it can be charged at this price. I have no trouble believing it. This is why I believe the Challenger will be slightly higher but not by far because of this.

BTW, I agree with your analysis that the concept Challenger is closer to the GT500 than the ordinary Mustang GT.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

and the GT500, once the initial rush is past, will be going for 40,000...for a car that has a proven, ultra high performance drivetrain....
Old 06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

and the GT500, once the initial rush is past, will be going for 40,000...for a car that has a proven, ultra high performance drivetrain....
Okay and your point is what? The drivetrain in the Challenger is already being proven in the SRT cars. Granted the name does not have as much legacy, but what does the Challenger have to prove in its drivetrain?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

my point is that there shouldnt be a comparison to an engine that is a year old, and "only" produces 425hp...when the mustang is using an engine that has been used for quite a while, and has 500 hp.

plus, the challenger is a new car..there are bound to be "bugs", where as the stang is not...

so..

40 grand for a car with a more powerful, proven engine and proven chassis, compared to a car that is made out of a sedan chassis, with an engine that hasnt really been pushed much, with 75 less hp...for the same price??
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

my point is that there shouldnt be a comparison to an engine that is a year old, and "only" produces 425hp...when the mustang is using an engine that has been used for quite a while, and has 500 hp.

plus, the challenger is a new car..there are bound to be "bugs", where as the stang is not...

so..

40 grand for a car with a more powerful, proven engine and proven chassis, compared to a car that is made out of a sedan chassis, with an engine that hasnt really been pushed much, with 75 less hp...for the same price??
Hold on. The GT500 is rated at best the last time I check at 475hp. I have seen dynos (I believe it was Motor Trend's review of the Magnum SRT-8) that claim the 6.1L is producing 467hp. Plus, if it offers a functional air scoop (which I believe we decided it did) that would boost the output some as well considering how the 300C & Magnum SRT-8 lacks one and will have the same rating. It will probably be further underrated. Proven engine that has been out for a while? In order for an engine to be proven it must be reliable. This engine is hardly proven. The 4 valve supercharged version of the 5.4L was first introduced in the GT. The Lighting was 2 valve. I was watching a showdown on the Speed Channel where they were comparing a GT to a Viper and in the middle of the test the GT's engine broke down. They are going to be using a different supercharger on this model; therefore, some flaws could develop. You can't use the supercharged 4.6L to aid you in this arguement because then you would have to include the 5.7L as well. Plus, I have heard rumors about problems they had with previous supercharged Mustangs.

The 6.1L will be more proven by the time the Challenger is released in '08. It will have what 2-3 years under its belt; whereas, this version of the 5.4L supercharged will just be starting out with its new supercharger. The Mustang has its own bugs still. It hasn't been noted for being the most reliable last time I checked. Besides what do you think is going to last longer? A supercharged V8 with 4 valves per cylinder or a simple high output pushrod. My observations of history show a simplier engine lasts longer.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: GM vs. DCX