Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Handling on the new Challenger...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling on the new Challenger...

I'm curious how the handling will be on the new Challenger.

I've driven Vettes, Z-28s, and spent a lot of time reworking the suspension on my Monte Carlo SS (which I sold a few years back). Recently I drove the new Mustang and felt impressed with the braking and how tight the steering felt. I could take that car into 4 wheel slides into corners and it felt very predictable.

Has anyone driven the 300 or the Charger to give me a description? I already have faith about the motor and the rest of the car, but am I hoping too much for a tight handling nimble car to handle all that power around curves?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Handling on the new Challenger...

I've driven a 07 V6 magnum, I had as a rental car. I was pretty impressed with the handling being it weighted so much. I would think the V8 models would have a little different suspension set up though. I did put a beating on the car while I had it. Nothing like having a brand new rental with 100 miles on it. I did more 180's and burn outs in the magnum in 5 days, then I've done in the past couple of years.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 PM

I test drove an SRT-8 Charger a while back and I used to own a C5 Vette and Viper GTS. For the most part, the Charger just felt like a big car, which it is. It handled well, but nothing like a Corvette. You really can't compare them as they are totally different cars. Also, the Charger is a 4-door that weighs nearly 900 pounds more than a C6 Vette.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Unlike the Mustang which has done a good job with the leafsprings, the Challenger will be IRS and I am looking forward to that.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't driven a Charger SRT but here is some comments about its handling from About.com, automobilemag.com, and the carconnection.com

"The Charger comes with electronic stability and traction control, but it's tuned to allow a bit of show-off wheelspin. That can be a problem in the curves, especially if you're using the manual-shift feature to keep the revs up- a stab of throttle coming out of a turn is enough to kick the rear end out, and it takes skill (and room) to recover. Luckily, those big Brembo brakes do a great job of scrubbing off speed before heading into a turn. Also in the Charger's favor: Responsive steering and an independent rear suspension that stays well planted on the bumps."

"Acceleration and braking may be impressive, especially for such a big car, but there's no hiding the Charger's 4160-pound curb weight, whether you're power-oversteering at the track or just bombing down the road. The Dodge stays relatively flat through corners, yet you can't help wishing for more body control. The steering is quick enough, but its messages are muffled by vibrations from the steering column. And as for the cool-looking, stitched-leather seats? The seat bottoms are too short, and the seatbacks cut into your shoulder blades."

"With a suspension lowered a half-inch from other Chargers, and special spring rates and anti-sway bars and an electronic stability program geared to allow more thrilling antics before halting the fun, the SRT8 makes good use of those oversize tires. This isn't a car that handles flat like a MINI or squirts between corners like a Miata, but a bruiserweight pounder that growls along consuming road. The steering is actually quite good with very quick reflexes and the turn in is rapid thanks to the relatively sticky Goodyears. The driver never will never forget he's piloting more than two tons of car stretching out nearly 17 feet long, but this is one sharp-handling sedan. And whenever it starts to understeer, adding some throttle will balance the car back to neutral. This car is fun to toss around. It just needs room to maneuver."

I am confident that the SRT boys will give the Challenger as good or better handling than the Charger!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I am also hoping that with the LY platform it will not weigh 4160 lbs. like the concept car did.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

ive driven an SRT8 300c on an autocross course, and it felt much better than my stratus RT coupe...

you might think "the stratus RT coupe isnt exactly a ferrari", but while my stratus handles slightly better than a stock RT, with low profile, upgraded tires and it is slightly lowered, keep in mind that the 300 is a huge sedan, that is capable of 12 second quarter mile times, and it went through the autoX course, both the long sweeping corners and the short tight ones, like a sports car...it did not, in any way, feel like a 4500lb sedan...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

That is good to know and there is hope yet.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

i think that the srt8 300c might outhandle my tiny AWD plymouth laser...although its been a while since i drove the 300...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read where the concept Challenger weighed 4160, but I also know that the concept Challenger is made from corbon fiber. So is this an estimated weight of production Challengers or will they weigh more. I believe the concept Challenger is much lighter than the 4160 we hear. 4160 is more than likely the weight of the production Challenger. Correct me if I'm wrong, knowledge is good. As far as the handling on the new Challenger... it will be a lot better than the old E-bodies. Suspension and independent rear end is an improvment over solid axel. And from what I see so far, not too shabby for straight away acceleration. Not better than a solid axel but not too shabby.

Quick Reply: Handling on the new Challenger...