Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Handling on the new Challenger...

Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Handling on the new Challenger...

The 4,100 lb. weight figure is what has been reported for the concept car (see Car and Driver specs, below). Only the concept car's hood was carbon fiber. It is extremely unlikely that carbon fiber will be used in the production version. We will have to wait 145 more days to see if Dodge was able to shed some pounds from the Challenger.

DODGE CHALLENGER

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 2-door coupe
Estimated base price: $35,000
Engine type: pushrod 16-valve V-8, iron block and aluminum heads, port fuel injection
Displacement: 370 cu in, 6059cc
Power (SAE net): 425 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 420 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 115.9 in
Length/width/height: 197.8/78.6/57.0 in
Curb weight: 4100 lb
Performance ratings (mfr’s est):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.0 sec
Top speed (drag limited): 174 mph
Projected fuel economy (C/D est):
EPA city driving: 14 mpg
EPA highway driving: 20 mpg
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Correct me if I'm wrong, knowledge is good. As far as the handling on the new Challenger... it will be a lot better than the old E-bodies. Suspension and independent rear end is an improvment over solid axel. And from what I see so far, not too shabby for straight away acceleration. Not better than a solid axel but not too shabby.
There's no handling or ride comparison between the current LX platform and the E-bodies of the 70's.
While the solid (live) axle of the E-body Challengers is better suited for the strip (acknowledged by use of the live axle used in the black concept car for the dragway), the ride, handling/cornering, body roll, turning radius and squat from a dead start under hard acceleration in an LX car is like comparing champagne to Boone's Farm. With the LY having the same track as the LX but a slightly shorter wheel base, the LY Challenger should turn a bit better, be a hair lighter, but hide bumps in the road just a little less. I'll assume that since it's a two-door, it will be equipped with a bit firmer/sportier suspension so you'll have more road feel through the chassis and steering than the current LX cars, but still enjoy the better overall ride and traction of four wheel independent suspension.

Engineers are much more saavy now than they were 35 years ago. The competition is much more formidable and engineers know that the whole package has to feel right to compete. It used to be that "the big three" were after bragging rights as to who's car was the fastest/baddest/most desired on the street - who could stuff the most HP under the hood for straight-line acceleration. Now, "the big three" are "number three through five" in the US. It was a hard lesson (still being learned) that the Japanese car makers brought over-seas with them and basically, "took the US automakers to school". Finally, GM, Ford and Chrysler are learning that they have to balance HP, cornering, fuel economy, reliability, appearance, safety and functionality to sell cars and stay in business. Now, big brakes go on a big car, the gearing has to match the wheel size for an optimum balance between performance and reliability, and it takes much slicker marketing than dumping a scantily clad girl in front of their car in a TV ad with a catchy jingle to sell cars.
Did anyone know what the Corvair's crash test rating was when that car was on the market?
Did the Monaco come with front and side-curtain air-bags?
Sorry, I digress.....
The point I was getting at is that EVERY new car, and nearly every new "light truck" and SUV handles better than the cars Detriot was rolling out in the early to mid 70's.
Take a trip to your Dodge dealership, take an SRT8 Charger for a test-drive, and lie to the salesman and tell him the ride is too harsh - you're not interested. Then go home, drooling and knowing that the Challenger will be better than that! I don't think you're gonna be disappointed.

Getting myself all worked up..........I think I messed my pants.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Somewhere I read where they might make the concept hood aluminum. Maybe I dreamed it.

Here is the weight below at 4160 with the LX platform. In the 2009, that should be a LY platform and I am hoping lighter.
In 2008, it will probably be the LX platform.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/826539BCBF20483D9A583AA215A5AABF.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm pretty sure that the concept Challenger is made from carbon fiber. I mean the whole body and thats why I wondered what the weight is on it compared to the production Challenger, with a steel body. I might be wrong, but I believe I'm right. If someone knows for a fact please chime in.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM

Only the hood was carbon fiber. I doubt that it will make it to the production version. I expect the Challenger to be around 4,000 lbs.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

Only the hood was carbon fiber. I doubt that it will make it to the production version. I expect the Challenger to be around 4,000 lbs.
I believe this is correct. Carbon fiber is VERY pricey. And the shorter wheelbase LY "should" yield only a slightly lighter car than the LX platform.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Located in Fountain Valley, California, Metalcrafters builds all of DaimlerChrysler's concept cars and needed about six months to build the Challenger. Its body, which is made entirely of carbon fiber, would take time to create.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Located in Fountain Valley, California, Metalcrafters builds all of DaimlerChrysler's concept cars and needed about six months to build the Challenger. Its body, which is made entirely of carbon fiber, would take time to create.
I stand corrected, Sir. I recall that statement when the concept first came out. My bad.
[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 AM

I was wondering if the 4160 is for production or what the weight of the concept is? I have always read Challengers weight... so I believe they are estimating the weight of the production Challenger. At least I hope so. Because if they are talking concept, then it will be much heavier. But I think they mean production Challenger will weigh in the 4100 range. When you look at the weight of the Chargers, then the 4100 is a good estimate.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

From what I have read about the LX platform, they handle very well. With some of those older models that you have indicated that you owned, I'm sure you will be happy with the Challenger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: Handling on the new Challenger...