Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Handling on the new Challenger...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handling on the new Challenger...

4160 lbs is the weight of the Concept. Look at my previous post on this thread of the picture of the engine plate. That is from the concept car.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok then the production Challenger will be much heavier than the 4160. I wonder what the weight will be. The Chargers weigh in at 4300? Just trying to get a good estimate on the production Challenger weight.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:46 PM

The Dodge.com site lists the 2007 Charger R/T RWD with the 5 speed autostick transmission as having a curb weight of 4031.
If the Challenger has the manual transmission and is on the LY (3 inches shorter) platform, I would imagine it wouldn't exceed 4000 lbs by much, if at all.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Thats my point... if the Challenger concept's body is made from carbon fiber and it weighs in at 4160, then there is no way that the production Challenger will be lighter. And the performance that you see it posted with, will be off also. But I really don't see them weighing as much as a Charger and some weigh in at under 4300 lbs. So something does'nt seem quite right. I did read the tag and it says what is posted 4160. But it just does not seem like it should weigh that much.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

We have discussed this almost a year ago in the thread "Why is the Challenger so Heavy???????

Take a look and see if this answers any of your questions: https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=116
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Seems that they did'nt answer the question then and we are still wondering where the weight came from. I really don't mind it being porky, because I like the look and the drivetrain. A combination that has been missing for some time. I put this in as one of those things that make you go Hmmmmm. Bring my big fat baby on out to play. Now I have a visual on " When pigs fly". My new Challenger tag will be FATA-SOW. Suuuewee suuuewee.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. We did not have the answer then nor now. We will just have to wait.

If those big engines could move those big cars back in the day we can even do it better now.

I still think losing 4 inches on the LY platform could save several hundred lbs..

Back in that thread, 1 Bad Mirada made the comment that because of the enhanced safety in the bodies and chassis is one of the reasons Challenger cars
will be heavier now than "back in the day".
Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Oh no doubt, I think the improvements in engine managment systems and designs for engines in general will more than make up the difference. I read in the mags where the new pony cars are too small and the cars are too large, well you can't make all the people happy. The Challenger in its time was the biggest of the pony cars and it held up quite well over the years. I kid about its weight because, I drive a Stealth and thats all the ricer boys say about the 3000GT and the Stealth. They are too heavy... and we reply with porky jokes. I want a nice mid size car and I won't be in an acceleration contest every time I stop for a light. I will be cruising to and from work or just out for a drive. And the Challenger will look good and feel comfortable doing this with classic looks and style. I understand the weight of the production Challenger, with air bags and power everything adds the weight. Computors and sensors... I know why the Challenger will be heavier than the old. So I will make a prediction... the new Challenger will be under 4200 lbs. But if they add an all wheel drive version, then the weight will be more on that model.