Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

HOW CAN YOU TELL WHETHER THE MDS CYLINDER SHUTOFF SYSTEM IS WORKING??

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW CAN YOU TELL WHETHER THE MDS CYLINDER SHUTOFF SYSTEM IS WORKING??

No MDS on stick models.... and on my 06 Charger RT, it was almost seamless... it requires a constant speed, I think it can be as low as 20mph and as high as 85... but is based upon constant speed... at least that is my understanding
Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Default RE: HOW CAN YOU TELL WHETHER THE MDS CYLINDER SHUTOFF SYSTEM IS WORKING??

I wonder how hard it really is for them to stick the MDS on a stick. You would think that it could be something as simple as kicking it off as soon as the clutch is engaged, but I'm sure it's not that simple, brake pushed, etc.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM

MDS will only activate when you're in Drive. MDS WILL NOT activate if you're in auto-stick mode.

Standard shift vehicles don't have MDS.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:22 PM

I talked to a chrysler engineer about MDS on stick cars. He said there was no way that customers would accept the transition on clutch cars. They tried about a dozen different versions, but they were all too jerky during the transition. The slip in the torque convertor masks the transition, making it pretty much invisible.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM

Well there you go. That would make a lot of sense. I'm sure if they could figure something out to put between the clutch and the transmission, or even in the transmission, to make it more seemless, they might be able to pull it off. Of course that is a lot of research and probably to much money to try and come up with something like that for just 1 more mpg highway. It would be really nice though if they could do that while you are sitting there in neutral and it runs off of two cylinders, yeah I know, dreaming.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Rememeber MDS closes the valves and disengages the valves on 4 of the cylinders based on the computer measuring speed, load, acceleration etc.

With a manual, you have taken over part of the the computer would do automatically and if you could set it up to disengage 4 of the cylinders
it would jerk the car because of the direct gearing in a manual instead of using a torque converter which absorbs the transition.

Having a 6 speed with a high overdrive, you will get good mpg when you put it in high gear anyway when you are cruising on the highway.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.