Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I would like to see these cars back in NASCAR
76.92%
No I wouldn't, I like the COT
23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

How many would like to see the Challenger in NASCAR?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many would like to see the Challenger in NASCAR?

Now if they would only remake the BOSS 429 Mustang... The king of em all and nuthin is sexier!

The Boss 429 was a Ford Mustang variant offered in 1969 and 1970 and is arguably one of the most rare and highly valued muscle cars to date [1]. In total there were 1,358 Boss 429's made. The origin of the Boss 429 comes about as a result of NASCAR. Ford was seeking to develop a motor that could compete with the Hemi motor from Chrysler in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series (then known as "Grand National Division"). NASCAR's homologation rules required that at least 500 cars be fitted with this motor and sold to the general public. After much considertion, it was decided by Ford that the Mustang would be the car that would house this new engine.

On the race track scene, many of these cars did very well in Nascar races and famous drivers like Cale Yarborough, Mickey Thompson, and many others drove Boss 429's and won many races for Ford.

Unfortunately sales started to drop off for the 1970 Boss 429 Mustangs and with higher costs, gas costs, and other internal Ford problems, it was decided that 1970 would be the last year of the Boss 429.

In present day, these cars are highly sought after and recent auctions on Ebay and at Barret-Jackson have shown some of these cars going as high as $350,000.00 or more depending on its condition and whether it has been resotred or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_429

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

The day NASCAR goes back to 1960s style "stock" cars I may watch. Right now its like MTVs Real World meets the Blue Collar Tour and drives IROC series cars. Ill stick to SCCA pro stuff.....real cars, real drivers!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM

429 would be one sweet ride, but thanks to CAFE it probably won't happen unfortunately.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm with you brother, although it is not that I am opposed to NASCAR, it's that NASCAR is in a different place nowadays. The COT is the future direction for them, so using a Challenger would be nothing more than a name slapped to it with the fake lighting/grill slapped on the front end. Sure it's a Dodge motor, but it's definitely not ever gonna be a Challenger on the track.

The days of real "stock cars" are gone from NASCAR, unfortunately.

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Not anymore. NASCAR is a joke. The cars are designed by the racing organization, NOT the car companies. I'd rather go down to San Antonio Speedway anymore and watch guys running beat up old Camaros and Mustangs than any NASCAR race.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 PM

I agree, If they actually used the stock engines for the "stock cars" it would be more exiting.The HEMI would rule the tracks again and I doubt the 5.7L Impala SS, 6 cyl Fusion, and whatever Toyota has Would stand up against the 6.1L (maybe 6.5L) challenger/charger.I would watch NASCAR a lot more also.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Not even necessarily NASCAR. I think it would be a pretty damned cool to have IROC standardize on SRT Stock Challengers. That'd be some fun racing right there. A group of professionals putting the SRT through its paces would a be a spectacle to behold and also show who has the chops to win on equal footing.

If NASCAR wants to really draw more to their other series, they'd be foolish not to put together some sort of Pony car series (or Busch or Nationwide or whatever) and have people come back and back their favorite manufactures like back during the golden era.

Kahne's got one more year of my support. He better figure out how to win w/o cheating. (that's the only think I can figure from the 06 to 07 season, from 6 wins, gets caught w/ major violations before Daytona last year, to no wins in 07, hmmmmm, you don't gots to be no Nostradamus for that prognostication).

boogity, boogity, boogity.....let's go DW!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 PM

I think what is disappointing the most with NASCAR is the manufacturers were what made that business, yet they have been relegated to the sidelines. The manufacturers had to build and design a car that would perform on the track, but also be a real vehicle on the streets. The average joe like you and me ending up winning with what they learned on the track and was transformed to a driveable and better selection of vehicles on the road. Engines, brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, all can give credit to what was learned on the track. So whatta we get today...every vehicle being so similar that real racing is relegated nowhere near the track. Sure, the drivers are awesome to drive that quick and so close, but the cars don't give you any passion back as to who is doing things better than the next. Why were Superbirds taken away, cuz it was a design that had too much success and deemed unfair to the competitors. Isn't that what we want, the manufacturers challenging one another, and in turn, the public getting better cars because of it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Of course. That is America. Competition distills superlatives. Sadly, NASCAR, to a degree, has become "Everyone gets a trophy" (everyone being mfgrs). Sad.

Let innovations drive performance, Let performance drive sales, let sales drive profit, let some of profit/revenue drive innovation (rinse, repeat as necessary)

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM

how about them dodge boys 6 dodges finish in the top ten including 1st and 2nd
Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 PM

Anybody here been to Red Letter Dodge today? They've got video of NASCAR drivers commenting on the Challenger.

Well, they say it's a Challenger - "dressed as a Charger." Isn't a "Challenger dressed as a Charger" just a Charger??? Well, OK, it has a manual transmission, but otherwise how would you know the difference between a "Challenger dressed as a Charger" and an actual Charger???

Now, maybe if one of the drivers had said "yeah, baby, you can reeeeally feeeel that two-inch shorter wheel base" or whatever.

Sheesh. At least they had fun. Maybe I'm just jealous! [:'(]

Quick Reply: How many would like to see the Challenger in NASCAR?