Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

How Will You Prevent Theft?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Will You Prevent Theft?

I have been researching security systems and considered the Ravelco security device. I had read many scare stories about how car thieves use decoders to bypass factory security systems. I had a car stolen in front of my house and don't want it to happen to my new Challenger!

In another forum, a similar issue was discussed. Lucky for us, it seems like Daimler-Chrysler has the best factory system on the market and there may be no need for a supplemental security system. (Note: GM's "Pass-Key" is one of the worst).

Here is a quote from the site explaining how the DCX system works:

The security module queries for the code. And its not the same code every time. That chip actually generates a new code every time. The security module knows the math formula that the key chip uses, and so it can tell its a good one. Meaning that its one of the keys that it "recognizes.

The security module solves a math problem, using the code and some other stuff, the VIN is a part of it, solves it, sends the raw data off to the engine computer, which does all this over again, and sends its answers back to the security module. Which then compares its answers to the PCMs, and if anything does not match, your done, shut down. You get three tires, if that third one fails, it takes a Starscan and a call to DCX for a code to reset the system.

For you geeks, its a 32 bit PKI style system, made by TI. Ford runs the same basic system, but only the security module does the check, then sends a simple signal to the engine computer, which can be faked.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Will You Prevent Theft?

I think that if someone wants a car bad enough they will take it despite elaborate security measures.. A couple of guys can jack a car up and put dollies under the wheels in a matter of seconds and roll it to a predetermined area and fornicate it. Security measures can make it more difficult to snatch a car, but there are thugs out there that can get around almost anything.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 AM

There is a sysytem out there that is a pretty good idea, its called the boomerang. I heard about it through a co-worker, basically it is hardwired into the car in a hidden place, somewhere you don't even know about. When the car goes missing you make the call, and through their network they locate the car using GPS. I havent researched it yet but you can check it out at www.boomerangsecurity.com. It will be a must for my Challenger in the future. Cheers.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:05 PM

Fast moving lead projectiles.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never experienced the stolen car thing. I have an alarm on 2 of my 4 cars. I live in an area where I guess its not as pervaliant or the cars I have nobody steals. I hope my luck holds out. I don't even lock my doors at my house. Unless I'm home. I feel blessed by never having anything stolen, not even a bike.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 AM

Trunk Monkey!

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/51/
Old 07-23-2007, 06:41 AM

Trunk Monkey! Yes! I've wanted one for years!

They've added new features to the Trunk Monkey since I saw him last:

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/

Thanks for reminding me of this. He's great!

Heat
Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM

It's just a car dude (albeit a great car). I'll have it insured and if they swipe it I'll just go buy another one.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, sure have it insured.......4 years later somebody steals it..........now Dodge doesn't make the Challenger........no problem, I will get a Camaro instead. [:@]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I saw two of those years ago. It was good to see a bunch of new ones.

Those were great. What a classic.

Thanks for sharing.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: How Will You Prevent Theft?