Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

I'm getting a bit disappointed... Please help!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting a bit disappointed... Please help!

Now that the R/Ts are getting road tested with the 6-speed... I gotta tell you all I'm more than a bit underwhelmed. 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, with the 1/4 in 14.1..? That's it?

Even the manual SRT8 disappoints, with the 5.5 0-60... come on!!!! A lowly 305 hp 1998 LS1 Z28 blows those figures out of the water. Now granted that car is a few hundred pounds lighter... but still, I'm very disappointed with the performance figures of the Challenger thus far, I don't mind saying.

If this is the best the Challenger can do, it'll surely be a laughing stock when the 422 hp LS3 Camaro SS comes out - GM is already projecting 0-60 in less than 4.9 seconds with the 1/4 in low 13s, and it'll get better MPG to boot (and probably be a helluva lot less expensive).

Now don't get me wrong, folks - I'm not about to jump on the GM bandwagon, and I still love the Challenger... but for all the time I've waited to get one, I just expected a whole lot better. I'm not looking for a car that will blow a new Camaro's doors off, but I don't want to get embarrassed by one either, which looks like a very distinct possibility if this is as good as it's gonna get.

I know, I know... "with a few mods you'll be able to do _____" yadda yadda yadda... I shouldn't HAVE to do any mods just to be able to keep up with a base Mustang GT, much less a new Camaro.

The car looks gorgeous and ultra-cool... but if that's all I have to look forward to, I just might change my mind... and I really don't want to. I'm hoping those road tests were unusually slow test mules.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:29 PM

Default RE: I'm getting a bit disappointed... Please help!

Yankee...get a clue before you post a rant on here. You obviously do not have a car yet, so I will clue you in.
I have a bone stock '08 srt8.
Best 0-60 time out on the street was 4.4 sec
Took it to the track once to see what she'll do and again, bone stock, 13.205 sec run.
And just to clear up your perception of the mustang gt; I raced one at the track. You can even see the video on google video. (jonathan's 2008 dodge challenger srt8) I ran a 13.295 on that run while the brand new mustang gt ran a 15+ second run. You actually can't even see him in part of the video because he is so far behind!
And as you said...a few mods and....
well a few mods and you will be in the high 12s. show me any "mustang gt" with only $1500 of mods that is running 12s that isn't running a 250 shot of nitrous that will end up blowing up in a month.
and one last thing...go buy a slowmaro or buttstang so my chally is worth more later.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:02 PM

If dodge reported what the car would do in perfect conditions I would not be able to afford the insurance.

Better drive one bud before you decide to believe what you read. The only car (in our class) I fear on the street is a better modded Challenger
Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM

do insurance companies really go by "track times"... I thought it was just the horsepower numbers... that's why they were so under-rated in the lated 60's...
In all seriousness I really don't think the Challenger is going to be worth a whole lot in the next few years... wasn't back in the hay day they could hardly get them off dealer lots. I remember a story about the Super-bird and how they just sat there.
But anyway it is the sharpest looking car out there hands-down.
But to you Billionaire... I've been feeling what you've been saying a lot the last few day's being stuck inside with this Storm Fay crap... and am starting to lean to a Charger SRT, shoot you can find them with hardly any miles on them for less than the price of a new R/T Challenger. Mmm Plum Crazy too.[8D] And after looking at the interriors on both Im kinda like the solid black and black suede of the 2007 Charger's. I don't like the two-tone much, but the latter is really clean.
Didn't someone quote dodge as saying the automatic was going to be faster than the manuel too??? Someting like the GTO's of a few years ago...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Sorry meant address that to YANKEE not Billioaire...opps.[&:]
Old 08-22-2008, 09:12 PM

Ahem... Mr "jono"... read my post again (go ahead, read it, because you obviously didn't the first time). Did you see ANYWHERE that I referred to the 08 models? Yes, those are damn impressive. I have no beef with those.

My "rant" was specifically referring to the 09 R/T and SRTs with the 6-speed manual... NOT the 08s with the automatic... k? Still with me? Got it now? Want me to type slower? Do you not agree that the stats for those particular models aren't exactly up to par with what they should be?

Looks like I'm not the one who needs to "get a clue", but thanks for trying anyway.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Default RE: Im getting a bit disappointed... Please help!

If we are going by the Edmunds Road Test, then perhaps you should re-read that article. They clearly stated that the SRT8 was not running well that day. It could be that one of the SRT8 review cars that Dodge is sending out to be reviewed is a dud.

As for the 6-Speed vs. Manual bit. The day is gone when a Manual Transmission (in the hands of anything but a true pro) can beat a good Automatic. Automatics have come a long way in efficiency and shift speed. In Manuals, there is too much room for driver error for a performance comparison to be fair. The reason I am buying a Manual is not performance (although the Limited Slip Diff is a nice bonus). I personally just love driving a stick.

The bottom line is this: If you prefer the consistency of an Automatic, then by all means, get one. And if you prefer the performance and styling of the Charger, buy one of those instead. Just make sure you do your research before you commit so that you arent disappointed.

[sm=rant.gif]
Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Ahem... Mr "jono"... read my post again (go ahead, read it, because you obviously didn't the first time). Did you see ANYWHERE that I referred to the 08 models? Yes, those are damn impressive. I have no beef with those.

My "rant" was specifically referring to the 09 R/T and SRTs with the 6-speed manual... NOT the 08s with the automatic... k? Still with me? Got it now? Want me to type slower? Do you not agree that the stats for those particular models aren't exactly up to par with what they should be?

Looks like I'm not the one who needs to "get a clue", but thanks for trying anyway.
If you do some research you would see that the old RT with only 340 hp did 0-60 in 5.5-5.6 in most magazines except edmunds. whoever goes by car magazines is redicuous, especially this bias magazine. The rt shoulld see low 5s with the new engine.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jono

Yankee...get a clue before you post a rant on here. You obviously do not have a car yet, so I will clue you in.
I have a bone stock '08 srt8.
Best 0-60 time out on the street was 4.4 sec
Took it to the track once to see what she'll do and again, bone stock, 13.205 sec run.
And just to clear up your perception of the mustang gt; I raced one at the track. You can even see the video on google video. (jonathan's 2008 dodge challenger srt8) I ran a 13.295 on that run while the brand new mustang gt ran a 15+ second run. You actually can't even see him in part of the video because he is so far behind!
And as you said...a few mods and....
well a few mods and you will be in the high 12s. show me any "mustang gt" with only $1500 of mods that is running 12s that isn't running a 250 shot of nitrous that will end up blowing up in a month.
and one last thing...go buy a slowmaro or buttstang so my chally is worth more later.
Heck I have a 04 Sebring 2.4l 4cyl with minor mods that kicks mustang gt's all day at the track
Old 08-23-2008, 05:13 AM

Yankee, i felt the same way you do when first reading the edmunds test, but i realized we need to wait till the car is in the hands of someone who can actually launch and drive the 6 speed. i wont start worrying until we see car and driver and motortrend get those numbers too which i dont think is gonna happen. as kevin2323 said, the old hemi does around 5.5, so the new one with extra hp has gotta do a few tenths better.

Quick Reply: I'm getting a bit disappointed... Please help!