Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

just some basic questions

Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just some basic questions

Hey guys

Just curious i'm trying to make my mind up early so i don't have to deal with last min decisions..
On the challenger:
1.)whats going to be the weight of the srt8
2.)Whats going to be the Hp and Torque : and if what is going to be the Rwhp

just trying to decide on to get a 09 Srt8 challenger 6speed manuel
or
get a 03/04 Mustang Cobra "Terminator"
and of course on both of them put a cold air intake and catback exhaust
Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 PM
mac

Default RE: just some basic questions

I will give it my best shot, but the more experienced guys on this forum might have better information than what I have found.

1. It will be RWD

2. Weight of concept car is 4,160 pounds. Not sure what the production weight of the car will be.

3. Horse power is 425 (SRT8)

4. 420 lb torque (SRT8)
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM

wow 4,160lbs pretty heavy car....
but yet again its the concept the production might be lighter *hoping*
be nice if they weighed around like 3700-4000lbscause that weight is going to kill it...

even though it still gets 0-60 in 4.5s and 1/4 in 13s...

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

The concept was carbon fiber, the production will be metal and because of it could be heavier, unless putting it on an LC platform makes it lighter.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:36 PM

o well thats a kick to the nuts

anyway u guys still think that the production model Srt8 in manuel a will still be able to do 0-60 in 4.5s and the 1/4 in 13s ??????
Old 01-07-2008, 09:31 PM
mac

I for one don't know. In the old days automatics were always slower than a standard tranny but in recent history some automatics beat the standards. With this high output engine, the computer controlled automatic might just give you a better time but just a guess on my part.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:47 AM

ORIGINAL: mac

I for one don't know. In the old days automatics were always slower than a standard tranny but in recent history some automatics beat the standards. With this high output engine, the computer controlled automatic might just give you a better time but just a guess on my part.
I would say in the hands of someone who drives a standard transmission well, the manual should have a bit of an advantage with 6 speeds available to the power-band, as opposed to 5 in the autostick. While the module will shift the automatic transmission seamlessly, there HAS to be an advantage to having 6 gears in the manual, with a shorter final drive in it. This would obviously get you to terminal speed quicker than fewer gears with more "distance between them".....in theory anyway.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't make up your mind by weight alone. The Challenger of the 70s was the heaviest of the pony cars and one of the quickest. Dodge puts alot of punch in their cars. I have a 340 in my 71 Challenger and it is quite potent. A 440 or 383 in this car is even more torquier. And for those few with a Hemi... well I don't need to say anymore on the Hemi. It's history speaks for itself. I think that the way the car looks is your buying point, so make the choice on that. You can make a pig run with a pony and Dodge has no problem there. You will be seen in these cars cruising more than you will racing. Take it to your local 1/4 and you won't be dissapointed Take it out on a drive and you won't be ignored I get the thumbs up where ever I go and everyone has a story to tell you when they come up and talk to you. Don't buy the new Challenger if you don't want the attention and also a mans got to know his limitations and the power the SRTs will put down is not for everyone. Good luck on your choice and have a blast in whatever you choose.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 AM

you defenitly get attention driving my 70 always does
Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 AM

Also, let's not magazine-race the car before it even appears on the dealer lot. The car is a lot more than 0-60, 1/4 mi. time and HP/lb.ft. figures. Most people won't be able to even come close to magazine times anyway. It's understandable to want to be able to say "my car does this and that in X time", but take a more holistic view: is the price right, am I pleased with the handling, can I live with this car on an everyday basis, do I like the interior and exterior, etc., because there will always be someone with some shit faster than yours, unless you own a Strike Eagle or something.

Quick Reply: just some basic questions