Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Locking Gas Cap and Gas Theft

Old 08-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Locking Gas Cap and Gas Theft

HAd a car come through the shop with a n intermittent stalling problem. After a huge amount of time, removed fael tank, and drained. Tech found a ziplock bag in there. It would starve the pump for fuel, once suction was broken it would release and float around. It may take 10 miuntes, it may take 3 days before it would act up. Just thought I'ld throw out another reason there.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:53 PM

if they want your gas bad enough they will just drill a hole in your gas tank and get it that way having a locking gas cap wont help you
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 AM

When was the last time you tried to stick a hose down the filler tube? It is next to impossible now a days. Around here they pop a hole in your tank & take what they want & let the rest pour out on the ground!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM

They climbed under work van and cut filler tube.If they need/want it they will take it.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Tsk Tsk Tsk, the world in which we live in. I remember back in the day (the gas crisis in the 70's) when gas theft was about as common as the morning newspaper. They had all sorts of locks, gas pipe obstructing wire coils and other theft deterents. All to no good as a steel punch, hammer and drain pan and they had all of the gas they needed and you had a monumental PITA in getting the gas tank fixed/replaced. There was one lucky individual (and I wont mention my name) who worked for Oldsmobile that had access to the fleet gas pump. Never ever ever had to worry about only $5 worth of gas or the every other day business as my car (oops!) was filled every night and when not driving around it was locked in a garage.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:04 AM

I worked at gas station and we would give ourselves employee discount. We would turn price down to 9.9 cents per gallon fill up our cars and turn price back up to 89.9. Those were the days before digital.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Scare tactics worked $20 at Dodge for cap $6 for oil filters. Picking up tonight
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RUBBERBNDMAN

I worked at gas station and we would give ourselves employee discount. We would turn price down to 9.9 cents per gallon fill up our cars and turn price back up to 89.9. Those were the days before digital.
An even better deal: At the height of the gas crisis in the winter of 1973-74, by helping the transport drivers at the gas station I worked in (doing a lot of paperwork for them, dumping the gas ourselves so they could go across the street to a bar, cleaning the trucks), each employee was given five free gallons a week off each of three trucks (all told, there were three of us who worked the night shift). Hence, I was getting 15 gallons a week for free. I'd generally put 10 gallons in my Challenger and 5 gallons in my old man's Maverick. That was generally enough for both of us.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The locking gas cap is more to prevent vandalism than to prevent gas theft.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, thieves punching the hole in tanks is the norm these days and it drains faster.

Of course, anybody doing that in Texas better be careful as they may be staring down the barrel of a gun.......which is also know for punching holes.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap and Gas Theft