Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Looks Like DCX will make V6 and Pricing

Old 07-08-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looks Like DCX will make V6 and Pricing

Crowd wild about Challenger

By Eric Harkreader, July 8, 2006

Scott Wellen listened patiently for 20 minutes as a DaimlerChrysler representative described the Dodge Challenger concept car before him.

He had one burning question:

"Does it come with racing stripes?"

Although the rep had an answer -- the car will likely be painted in solid colors when it's released for the 2008 model year -- the question must have been music to his ears.

Wellen and his wife had driven cross-state from Indiana County just to see the orange gloss and black leather monster in person.

It was the culmination to "weeks" of research online, he said. The couple arrived at 7:30 a.m. just to see the car, but had to kill time for two and a half hours at the All-Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle Fairgrounds until the two-ton behemoth was unveiled.

'Definite' buyer

And -- if you even have to ask -- he's already set eyes on one of the 50,000 vehicles slated for the first-run production.

"Definitely. I had one in the '70s and I'm getting one again," Wellen said. By DaimlerChrysler's estimation -- and the reported $1 billion spent designing the Challenger -- he's not alone.

"It's the baby boomers who are finding themselves with empty nests and who are no longer putting their kids through college who are driving" the push for '70s era muscle cars, said Ronald McDaniel, director of advanced service and technical information at DaimlerChrysler's Auburn Hills, Mich., office.

Dodge is one of several brands produced by DaimlerChrysler. After answering an avalanche of questions, McDaniel was still getting an earful as bystanders listened in on media interviews and lobbed their own queries and suggestions his way.

"You guys are killing me," McDaniel said, as one car enthusiast after another made suggestions on what the final product should be.

Although not finalized and at least a year out from production, the car before him was essentially what consumers will get a chance to buy, he said.

Coy about price

As for a pricetag, McDaniel said only that it would likely compare with the Dodge Charger and the Chrysler 300, with which it shares the same chassis. Those models start at $22,320 and $23,375, respectively, according to ForbesAutos.com.

But McDaniel was equally quick to point out the differences with the Challenger, which was originally produced from 1970 to 1974. It was the first model year that ranked highest among enthusiasts and upon which the concept version is based. Most notably, the Challenger will be the only coupe that Dodge offers, he said.

And, while it's extremely close to the original -- a little bit larger both inside and out, with shaved off wheel bases and a shorter front end -- there are some differences.

"Unlike the original, this Challenger will stop as quickly as it starts and corner a lot better," McDaniel said. Plans call for a wide range of engine varieties -- everything from a six-cylinder model to the 425-horsepower, V8 model he was touting.

As for fuel efficiency, McDaniel said it's too early to estimate, adding the technology is changing rapidly. The Charger gets between 14 and 19 miles per gallon in city driving and 20 and 27 mpg on the highway while the 300 gets between 17 and 19 miles per gallon in city driving and 25 and 27 on the open road.

But none of the six- and seven-deep crowd showed an interest in gas mileage. For brothers Joe and Jared Nossal, who drove with their uncle down from Pinckey, Mich., it was the car's sleek lines that were most appealing.

"It's amazing. In my opinion, it's the best concept car out there," 18-year-old Joe said.

And while he's not likely to get one himself, he says both his dad and uncle have fallen for the throwback legend. Some day, though, Joe Nossal said he hopes to get one for himself -- or even a resurrected model from his own generation. Chevrolet's Camaro tops his wishlist
Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Looks Like DCX will make V6 and Pricing

That is great news...hope it holds up
Old 07-08-2006, 09:47 AM

Great find... Thanks for posting!

XS
Old 07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

This article backs up most of my arguements on this issue. According to this it will be priced similarly to the Charger. I really hope they offer a V6 version. They would loose so many possible sales if they don't. I just hope they put in a V6 worthy of using in the Challenger such as the 3.8L, 3.5L 24valve, or 4.0L 24valve, instead of unworthy V6s (namely the 2.7L). It doesn't have to be fast since the original Challenger had the Slant Six, which was not fast by any means, but in now days market you have to have a base engine that is at least adequate; otherwise, it damages the performance image of the car.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

The 3.8L in my 2006 Dodge Caravan does quite well in terms of launching onto a freeway ramp with a vehicle full of people and it weight 4112 lbs without any people in it.

I would recommend it for a bare minimum for the Challenger without hurting its image.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The 3.8L in my 2006 Dodge Caravan does quite well in terms of launching onto a freeway ramp with a vehicle full of people and it weight 4112 lbs without any people in it.

I would recommend it for a bare minimum for the Challenger without hurting its image.
Yeah that engine line is good about that. My parents have a 3.3L in their 2002 Caravan and that has very good low-end torque for a minivan. The 3.8L varient would be more appropriate due to its higher output. The output in your Grand Caravan is 205 hp & 240 ft-lbs of tq which is just 5 less hp than the Mustang 4.0L V6. If they would use the other exhaust system or whatever they used before which gave them 215hp & 245ft-lbs of tq on the 2001-2005 minivans they could give themselves a slight edge.

However if they intend to charge more, then they better at least offer the 3.5L or 4.0L to help justify the higher cost, or else most customers will laugh at the price and get a Mustang instead. They should also forget about making the v6 varient about fuel economy because this crowd doesn't care about fuel efficiency. They should give it a lower speed rear-axle ratio with the A580, or maybe a rear-wheel drive version of the new 62TE, so then it can compete in acceleration with the 4.0L Mustang. I think I read that it does 0-60 in around 6.9 secs. Also a manual transmission is naturally a must.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM

The 08 Challenger will have numerous engine options, Including...

Base V6 engine, to compete with Ford's Mustang, Costing around $28,000 - $30,000
5.7 Hemi = $31,000 - $34,000
6.1 Hemi = $35,000 - $38,000
7.1 Hemi = $45,000 - $50,000
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: 77 Monte Carlo

The 08 Challenger will have numerous engine options, Including...

Base V6 engine, to compete with Ford's Mustang, Costing around $28,000 - $30,000
5.7 Hemi = $31,000 - $34,000
6.1 Hemi = $35,000 - $38,000
7.1 Hemi = $45,000 - $50,000
I am no expert but I never heard of a 7.1L Hemi. Actually surfing around and went to www.hemi.com which has a pretty cool look and feel (kind of light on content at 1st glance) and I do not see a 7.1L. ??
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 AM

7.1 Is the new Hemi currently in development, It is supposed to be the biggest Hemi, and more powerful than the 426 Hemi and 440 Magnum engines. It should be out by 2008 and be offered in the new Charger, Challenger and Cuda, If the Cuda goes in production.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:03 PM

New Cuda? A Chrysler Cuda -- or is DCX resurrecting Plymouth? If so, maybe there's hope for a revived Duster, too!

Quick Reply: Looks Like DCX will make V6 and Pricing