Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

More Production Rumors

Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More Production Rumors

No way. Some rumors make sense, but this one does not pass the "smell test." Why wouldn't they offer a manual? If there were some production reason, then ok, but this just wouldn't make sense. To many enthusiasts like a manual tranny. Look at the poll on this site. The largest choice is the most powerful Hemi with a stick. Car makers don't just turn their backs on that type of thing when they can produce what the public wants.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, but it is so early in the game we are just guessing and speculating kinda like a conspiracy theory where the wheels spin with a lot of energy but it goes no where.

My philosophy lesson for the day. LOL!

I do believe however, they will come out with a manual first in the 1 st year and may add an autostick in the 2nd year.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Back in the 1970s, a lot of cars HAD to be equipped with automatic transmissions to cut the pollution output. I don't know if that's still the case (although I suspect it is), but if so, I wouldn't be surprised that an automatic would be required for the Hemi engine. What killed the original Hemis -- even more than the gas crisis of 1973 -- was that they were an incredibly dirty engine, pollution-wise.
The pollution problem also killed the 1970s versions of Mazda's rotary engine (then known as the Wankle) -- which obviously didn't use as much fuel as a 426.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 AM

Whoever you heard this from, don't listen to them again!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 PM

This sounds very interesting, looks like the car is a "GO" but DCX dosen't feel like saying it yet. Maybe word will come at the close of New York.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.p...opic=74802&hl=
Old 03-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

RoswellGrey is correct in that Hemi engines did cause a lot of pollution and as such they are not using a Hemispherical shape in the combustion chamber anymore. They only thing that resembles
the original Hemi is the better valve flow design that it had. In the new 2002 introduction of the Hemi the chamber shape is no longer a "Hemi".
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

i should probably mention that allpar is by no means a "source", any more than any other forum is...especially considering that "bob" posted it...i know him, and what he posts is nothing more than rehashed magazine articles...hes a kid with some free time on his hands.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

RoswellGrey is correct in that Hemi engines did cause a lot of pollution and as such they are not using a Hemispherical shape in the combustion chamber anymore. They only thing that resembles
the original Hemi is the better valve flow design that it had. In the new 2002 introduction of the Hemi the chamber shape is no longer a "Hemi".
Can you say, "Semi-Hemi?"
Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the clarification Jeremiah 29:11. I know I will sound like a heretic for saying this, but I was never that impressed with the 426s and wasn't one of those people dancing in the streets when Chrysler resurrected the name.

For a time, I was half-owner of a '68 Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum and three-speed automatic. Frankly, that car could easily blow away most 426s on the street -- enough so that at $50 or $100 a pop (big money in '73 and '74), it basically financed four semesters of college for me.

As I saw it, the old Hemis were incredibly touchy engines, requiring you to regap the plugs and readjust the carb every time you ran them hard. That was never a problem with the 440 Mag.

And again risking cries of "heretic!" I should note that a big reason so few Challengers with anything over a 340 are with us in the 21st century is that you had to be REAL careful going off the line with one, because the back end always pulled real hard to the right. The general consensus back then was that the wheelbase was too short to properly dissipate the torque. Unfortunately, too many people weren't good enough drivers (or were too stupid) to compensate for this rather annoying tendency and a lot of perfectly fine Detroit rolling iron wound up wrapped around light poles, fireplugs or other stationary objects.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM

The 426 Hemi is the most efficient engine ever produced Volumetrically and Thermally! The round and even chambers keep the engine from detonating like most wedge designs, the chamber has a lot fewer hotspots! Combine that with the best flowing heads ever designed and you have an engine that doesn't waste fuel, it turns it into POWER! Your statements are totally BACK ASSWARDS!

Quick Reply: More Production Rumors