Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

MSD and Exhaust

Old 11-11-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD and Exhaust

My R/T has MSD...
I understand my exhaust is set up diffenrently because of MSD. There are 4 instead of 2 mufflers because they want to make sure the car doesn't sound like a 4CYL when the MSD kicks in on the HWY.

Can I? How do I? Get a better sounding exhaust for this car given the MSD?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:00 AM

Default RE: MSD and Exhaust

Just a bump...

I've searched the forum and found some helpful info, but I want to see where this thread goes.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 AM

These cars do have a unique sound. They sound good but different than what you expect from a muscle car. I drove mine yesterday and passed the 2500 mile mark and I think it is getting louder. I am not considering an aftermarket exhaust, but if I were it would be Kooks or SLP Loudmouth II.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 AM

Are you talking about the Multi-displacement System (MDS)? If so, I have the MDS on my Ram and you can put on whatever exhaust you want. To my knowledge there is no special exhaust system for vehicles equipped with MDS. Your car will be quieter when the MDS engages, but you don't want your car to be loud when you are at cruising speed. If you are cruising and you punch it you will hear a louder exhaust note while you are accelerating. Get whatever exhaust you like.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Dido... I think Clasko did a good job explaining that one... The one thing the R/T guy's have to worry about right now it super-charging , I know other cars like Hyundai have an MDS system and an active super-charger, but I also know some MOPAR applications you have to get the MDS deleted...So hopefully Dodge will have the a full set-up for the whole line of V-8's, unless I missed someting and it's already availible...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks... that was helpful.

I thought the MDS cars came with 2 mufflers and 2 resinators because they wanted to prevent the car from sounding like a 4cyl when in 4 cyl mode... And I thought that the cars without MDS only has 2 mufflers and does not have the 2 resinators...

If I'm wrong, which I suspect I am... then what is the point of the resinators?

What are my exhaust options as far as getting rid of resinators (stright pipe) and keeping stock mufflers or aftermarket mufflers. Or getting rid of mufflers and keeping stock resinators?

Thanks again for the help understanding.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM

There are some members here who have opted to cut out the resinators and replace them with straight pipe and seem to be happy with the results...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM

in my opinion, MDS is absolutely pointless. You will never get 4cyl in city. And as far as freeway, on my 2008 avalanche if i barely touch the accelerator it kicks back up 8. Bacailly it only is ever at 4 when you are not touching the accelerator and doing about 60 mph.... That or the avalanche is busted. Who knows.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM

From what i've read I thought MDS kicked in at about 45-55mphs and it's when your at cruising speeds... I see what your trying to say Kyle but, if you use cruise control often im sure it will help a whole lot... One member on here just reported back from a trip to the Keys and he was getting somewhere in the 20's mpg Im not sure how high but if you go find the thread im sure you'll be impressed... I use cruise control a lot on my truck and it doesn't have MDS and from what me and Kevin have disscused before it seems to help my MPG's out at least 1-2mpg... Im getting close to 16mpg's all around on my HEMI with-out MDS and I use cruise control as much as I can honestly... So in my case I could see MDS being a big plus saving me maybe a GRAND a year on gas... Everyone drives differntly at different times though...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son had a Charger Daytona with MDS and it works. He also had the flow masters on it and the sound was sweet. We cruised on the highways with 4 cyl. and it made a funny sound when he kicked in the other cyl. But the MDS does work.

Quick Reply: MSD and Exhaust