Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

NEW PEDESTAL REAR SPOILER.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW PEDESTAL REAR SPOILER.

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

100 mph seems like 60 or 70 in this car...
Bet it won't seem that way to the police! [sm=yikesomg.gif]
Old 09-17-2008, 04:26 AM

I have seen some factory windtunnel test on spoilers and I can tell you they hurt your cars performence. Unless you have a tall one like a Superbird.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 AM

I too have copies of all the wind tunnel tests that Chrysler ran on the Charger and Roadrunner back in the late 60s and early 70s. Their tests show that spoilers such as the one on the SRT8 does work...the trick is to have a good front spoiler as well to balance the car's lift. The early Charger fastback (1966) had bad lift at high speeds that made the back end feel like it was lifting and coming around on you..not good at over 100. A small two inch high rear spoiler on the back made the Charger a better all around racecar.
The Daytona/Superbird rear wing started to work around 70 mph, again in conjunction with a front spoiler. I found that the uprights made the Superbird more stable when passing 18-wheelers and the car didn't want to push to the side as you passed. Again all part of a package that included front spoiler, nose. rear window plug, etc. Chrysler also found that the height of the spoiler made little difference, and in fact, the rear wing was as high as it was only because it had to be in order to open the trunk lid. It's all in their report, which I believe is posted on the Wingcar site.
If Chrysler did their homework on the new Challenger "wing spoiler" as they did with the SRTs, then it too should work. Remember how the 70 Challenger would get very light in the front at high speeds? That's why all new Challengers have front spoilers, even the SE. So they do not hurt the performance of the Challenger, they help in a big way....they may not add horsepower, but they do add to the handling, AND at high speeds will help to increase both speed and MPG..........