Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

quality build of the challenger

Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: quality build of the challenger

they cant be any worse then the 70, 71 chally models...these were junk....when we started getting into these cars in mid seventies it was chargers,,,,challengers were just horrific quality wise....72 onward seemed to work...but those first ones were a nightmare....my 2001 dodge ram has been terrific....and i intend to purchase another dodge ram..i will never own a dodge sedan or other..interior is chessy and cheap and they just dont run well..i had an 03 intrepid with just a few more lights added that the general public cannot...that intrepid was just horrific and in the shop every month...now i drive a crown vic...not perfect but far better
Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Consumer Reports is biased, favoring imports. I know....I used to subscribe.
I've also bought cars they rated on both sides of the scales.
They tend to ignore recurring issues with imports that should be reflected in the reviews and ratings. They also tend to rate US cars too harshly. I can't explain why, but it happens too often to be a coincidence.
BootCamp, I always thought Consumer Reports were what they purport to be, Consumers Reporting, meaning I thought they just collected the views and opinions of the people who actually own the vehicles (along with they're own tests). Is that not the case?

My opinion on Chrysler is that is has historically been one of the best American designers of automobiles, while quality was hit and miss. My mom had a Daytona that spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop, while my Plymouth Horizon was a stout little performer with few issues. I think if Cerberus is going to make this company a winner, they are going to have to seek inspiration from Deming and start producing the products Americans/Canadians can.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 PM

Newer Dodges and Fords have upped their build quality, even over 3-4 years ago. Also, you can tell they're starting to actually put effort into interior comforts and design. Some of the Fords and Dodges actually have better looking interiors than some imports.

I'm talking about overall look and appeal. Design, materials, qualitly, etc etc.

American cars have stepped it up in the past few years, and I expect the Challengers to be no different.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 PM
mac

That is good news. Never have understood why we allowed our quality to go down when we are the ones who taught the japanese assembly line techniques and building quality products after the war.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Never have understood why we allowed our quality to go down when we are the ones who taught the japanese assembly line techniques and building quality products after the war.

mac.....if you really want to know then read this?

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=9443
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

BootCamp, I always thought Consumer Reports were what they purport to be, Consumers Reporting, meaning I thought they just collected the views and opinions of the people who actually own the vehicles (along with they're own tests). Is that not the case?
This is true - in part. Subscribers are randomly solicited for their opinions periodically. How heavily these opinions weigh into the final ratings is beyond me. Consumer Reports also has their own testing center (maybe you've seen it on 60 Minutes, or a report on your local newscast - during a "slow" news day) where they test a myriad of products. I've never been solicited to give an opinion on the creamiest ice cream, or the effectiveness of a stain remover, etc. I believe they exclusively use their testing and lab results for most items.
I recall rating major appliances, automobile dependability, power tools reliability and the like. But I don't have a skidpad or a measured mile for lateral-G and acceleration/braking tests. I wasn't asked about "fit and finish" of our cars, nor was I solicited for an opinion about "seating position", "field of vision", or "ergonomics". Someone at CR has to be making those determinations.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mac

That is good news. Never have understood why we allowed our quality to go down when we are the ones who taught the japanese assembly line techniques and building quality products after the war.
I'm probably subjecting myself to a world of ridicule for this, but I've said for many years that the Japanese aren't particularly adept at inventing anything - BUT they ARE very good at improving/perfecting things others invent (products and manufacturing techniques).
Okay - fire away.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Their culture doesn't allow for that. If you come up with a cool idea, you can't pop up and tell everybody, it has to be a group effort.

You are not supposed to stand out in a company. This does not allow for creativity like in America.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Their culture doesn't allow for that. If you come up with a cool idea, you can't pop up and tell everybody, it has to be a group effort.

You are not supposed to stand out in a company. This does not allow for creativity like in America.
Correct. The cultures ARE different and the Japanese value teamwork over individual effort.
But for the life of me, I can't think of very many things that the Japanese were given credit for inventing. Maybe it's just "old age brain cramps". I don't know.
[&o]
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Kamikaze's....sorry that was too easy.

Quick Reply: quality build of the challenger