Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

The reason for the non-mopar colors

Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The reason for the non-mopar colors

I did a little googling and I stumbled upon this.

#
I would like to help clear things up about how cars are painted in a factory. First of all guns are not used the type of equipment used to apply paint to the body is done either by electrostatic bells or by a robot using a robobell applicator. Most production is random. Sure there my be more silver cars painted on one day then say black ones but it just depends on build sheets. Color changes can be done in a matter of seconds usually under 10 seconds. The plant has a paint kitchen with pumps designated for each color with circulation lines moving the paint to the application equipment. All automotive paint now is two componet type and the catalist is added to the color (resin)at the applicator via a 2-K system. It is very expensive to have a bunch of colors because of the equipment involved like pumps, circulation lines (thousands of feet) filtration ect… If they are building other cars at brampton like the 300 and charger ect.. which comes in chryslers standard colors like silvers reds blacks they don’t have a bunch of extra equipment to add colors. Keep in mind most car plants don’t build every peace of the car they have satelite plants that build parts like facias,
mirrors, spoilers ect.. and all those plants would have the same type set up to paint those parts. My guess is this is why colors may be phased in at different times of the year. I install industrial finishing equipment for a living and its a very complex system to paint cars with some plants making up 600 hundred units per day.
I think Chrysler should have been honest and told us this rather than spouting B.S. like "we are listening" and "it's a new day at Chrysler" and "we'll give the customers what they want."

Chrysler's real policy is to cut production costs down to the bone and to not go to any trouble for us. That's the truth right there. That's why the Challenger is a Charger with just a few small modifications and no mopar colors and no concept interior.

If they feel that they have to paint all their car models the same colors because it's too expensive to buy more hoses and stuff, then I think they should paint some of them in high impact mopar colors for the next 2 or 3 years. Maybe it would increase the sales of their other cars if they didn't come in the same old boring colors as 95% of the other brands of cars on the market. The advice books I read said that if you want to succeed in life and in business, you should go the extra mile. Well I don't feel like Chrysler is going the extra mile for Challenger fans. I feel like they are doing the bare minimum. I don't think that's a formula for success.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:30 AM

Default RE: The reason for the non-mopar colors

the auto industry is goin down the tubes and you expect them to listen to what you want give me a break man
Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 AM

In my business, my sales live or die based on me finding out what my customers want and giving it to them. I'm sure it is the same in every business. Giving my customers what they want is life or death to me. If I don't give them what they want, then I can't sell anything. If I don't sell anything, I can't pay my bills or eat. When Chrysler is in financial trouble, it is even more important than ever for them to give the customers what they want. But some businesses are just not well-managed and they don't care enough or do enough to cater to the customer's desires. Those are the ones that get in trouble or go out of business.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 AM

the auto industry is goin out of business
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 AM

I wonder wich one will go out first? I hope its not dodge, i still have to get my challenger!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM

the challenger will be around for at least 3 years so i am sure you will be able to get one
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 AM

That information abouth how the paint goes on makes a lot of sense. I do wish they'd be a little more generous with the colors though. If I didn't like black so much, I'd probably be a lot madder. If they plan to rotate in some retro colors at certain times, it would be nice of them to give some advance notice. Bottom line though, if color is that important, just wait to buy until the selection becomes better. I'm convinced that it will get better, and by 2nd half or 2009 calendar year there will probably be much better choices. Keep in mind that the first 09's have not even been built yet, there's still a long way to go.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm sure there will be high impact colors. Just look at the Charger-Yellow, B5 Blue, Purple, Lime Green. These colors did not come out right away on the Charger, and they probably won't come right away for the Challenger.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM

They only made 1400 Chargers with each of those high impact colors. Just token numbers.
If they do that to the Challenger, that's gonna suck. It'd probably be almost impossible to get and priced way over MSRP.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM

If they jack up the price of the special colors by a few thousand (on top of whatever special package you have to buy to get the color in the first place), you can always just buy one in silver (or whatever color is languishing in disfavor on dealer lots) and have it repainted any color at all.

Quick Reply: The reason for the non-mopar colors