Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Remote Start

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start

My R/T has Remote Start.

Here is how it works, as I understand it.

Remote Start press the button twice... horn will honk twice, the car will lock itself, and the car will start.
You can turn the car off by pressing the button twice again. (The car will automatically shut off after 15 minutes if you don't get inside it.)
You can restart the car again by pressing the button twice again... horn will honk twice, the car will lock itself, and the car will start again.
You can turn it off again by pressing the button twice again.
At this point the Remote Start is disabled, and you will have to get into the car to and start the car... the Remote Start is reset once you start the car normally from the inside.
If you try to Remote Start the Car while it's disabled, the horn will

The auto start is also disabled if the alarm is set off... again to reset the Auto Start you need to start the car normally from inside the car.

My probem is that sometimes, on below freezing mornings, after the car sat all night, when I try to Remote Start the car, I find that it's disabled... because it honks once and locks the doors and does not start.
I know the alarm didn't go off overnight, and I know I didn't Remote Start the car twice in a row.

What can be causing this? Is the cold making the battery have a lower than optimial charge? Am I leaving some accecory on that I shouldn't? Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Remote Start

I have not had this problem but have not had to try and start the car in freezing weather yet. Mid thirties is the coldest weather we have had.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:49 AM

i want to have remote start so bad, that after i read your post i went out to my car and tried to do it
and then i read my manual to try to learn more, and just got more disappoint haha
i wonder how much it would be for mine?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM

Get this - I have an 08 SRT and if you look in our owners manuals there is a section that describes how the remote start function works, complete with pictures of the key fob. So I fire off an email to Dodge customer service and here is the reply I got:

Dear Steve:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding your 2008 Dodge Challenger.

We appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us.

In response to your email concerning the keyless entry, we suggest that
you contact your selling dealership, as the remote start feature is a
standard feature of your vehicle. Furthermore, concerning the carbon
fiber look hood stripes, we would like to inform you that the
information you are seeking is unavailable with us.

Thank you for your email and for sharing your concern with us.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no RS on the 08 SRT8.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 PM

You know that. I know that. Dodge customer assistance does not know that.

I will print out that email and demand my dealer fix it with I have some time to screw around. Should be fun to watch them squirm.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Zoomin

I know that you are a late bloomer Joining in 8/2008 and you have posted almost 100 posts so why are you trying to get any information from Customer service? you stand a better chance calling them and when you do say hello to Mike Smith and Bill Johnson for me tell them Budman sent you. They have a slight accent but they will tell you everthing you want to know.

ORIGINAL: Zoomin

Get this - I have an 08 SRT and if you look in our owners manuals there is a section that describes how the remote start function works, complete with pictures of the key fob. So I fire off an email to Dodge customer service and here is the reply I got:

Dear Steve:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center
regarding your 2008 Dodge Challenger.

We appreciate the time and effort you took to write to us.

In response to your email concerning the keyless entry, we suggest that
you contact your selling dealership, as the remote start feature is a
standard feature of your vehicle. Furthermore, concerning the carbon
fiber look hood stripes, we would like to inform you that the
information you are seeking is unavailable with us.

Thank you for your email and for sharing your concern with us.

Sincerely,

Lisa
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 AM

Anyone come up with a fix for this?

We are having the same problem with our remote start not functioning when it's cold outside. It's at the dealership right now. They were able to replicate the problem but diagnostics are not coming back with anything so they are having trouble figuring out what's wrong.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM

This is a good illustration of why a person should NEVER get more than the bare minimum of equipment on a car. The more stuff that's on it, the more things that can go wrong.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 AM

It's funny you say that cause we originally ordered a bare R/T during the summer but they got this more fully equipped R/T the same color on the lot randomly four months later so we bought it partially out of sheer impatience since our car hadn't even started the build process at that point. We did like the leather and some of the other options once we looked at it.

The push button start inside the car has given us zero problems, it's just the remote start itself. It's not the end of the world, just annoying to have something that doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Remote Start