Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SE has Competition

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE has Competition

Dont go believing the MPG numbers and HP numbers any motor company put out in the press. Many of these numbers are for sales, insurance, and enthusiasts purposes only. High MPG, High HP, and technology sell items, trust me I am in the business. The big three have been going at it for a decade now. Now we are seeing the Euros and Asians at it too. People will never learn. This sort of practice will never end. It is just like the two biggest bullys in town fighting over turf. It is like computers you buy one this month, then a better one comes out next month. I say fudge-it. I buy what I likes and like is what I gets. Perfomance is great and all, but I ain't racing in the streets, on the strip, and or pulling a Vanishing Point. Like many here have said in the past, "If you bought a muscle car for MPG, this car ain't for you". Buy what makes you feel right behind the wheel, buy what puts a grin on your face.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Ahhh yes... The Grin... I think you nailed it...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM

I just looked at the Subaru outback (a station wagon) to check the 0-60 times.
A regular one does it in 8.2 seconds, just slightly slower than the SE.
A turbocharged one does 6 seconds. So that will beat the Challenger SE and is
about the same speed as a Camaro. The SE doesn't sound too zippy to me.
Looks like it's about as fast as an average non-performance car.
That's pretty funny, thinking about turbo Subaru outbacks beating Challenger SE
and Camaros.

I think GM screwed up big time by not making the Camaro look like a hot muscle
car from the late 60's/early 70's. It just looks like a modern car. It has no nostalgia factor.
They totally missed the whole point of what the resurgence of muscle cars is about.
They had a golden opportunity to start from scratch and make something really hot.
They could've done anything with it. They blew it. The people in charge of body design
at GM SUCK!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM

This is the first I've heard of camaro pricing. . . not sure of that 22k number. 300hp, even if it's a V6, is what the mustang GT gets and that car starts around 26k, and the mustang is on an older/inferior platform. Plus my understanding was that the camaro is on the same or similar platform as the G8, that car starts at 28k for a 261hp V6. If the 22k number is true then it is a no brainer for camaro fans or people who are tied on styling between the camaro and challenger.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM

The Challenger wins, hands-down in the looks dept...if I was considered about MPG I wouldn't have purchased an SRT8. The Challenger at 4000 plus pounds would not be on my list, if MPG was the only consideration. The SE Challenger still looks better than a base Mustang or Camaro and it comes with hood scoops and front spoiler, standard.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Uhm , there are many v6's that are at 300hp. Like the 350z (which I would take any day over the camaro).

Billionarie is right. The camaro isn't a head turner like the Challenger at all. The Camaro should have been called a 2010 M.C because it looks like a wannabe challenger , and doesn't have that "old" look.

i'd rather have the 350z then the camaro se.

ps: I heard the camaro SS has only 400 hp ? And i'm pretty possitive that the srt8 has more horses then the Camaro.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Rudy61SRT8

Uhm , there are many v6's that are at 300hp. Like the 350z (which I would take any day over the camaro).

Billionarie is right. The camaro isn't a head turner like the Challenger at all. The Camaro should have been called a 2010 M.C because it looks like a wannabe challenger , and doesn't have that "old" look.

i'd rather have the 350z then the camaro se.

ps: I heard the camaro SS has only 400 hp ? And i'm pretty possitive that the srt8 has more horses then the Camaro.
has 420 hp and weights less and has a 6 speed auto
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM

The WOW factor of the Challenger can not be beat...some people think my car is a tricked out 1970...
Lets see the Camaro do that. As for rice burners...They are yours!
I have a SILVER SRT8..08 model and I love it.
There it is ,go get it !
Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM

without a doubt the Challenger is a better looking car.I saw the two concept Camaros at Barret-Jackson last year in Palm Beach and was not impressed at all.I also saw in Road & Track or Car & Driver the supposed interior for the production models and it's just plain ugly IMO.The front end on the Camaro looks like a Cadillac XLR and the back looks like a Mustang so where is the nostalgia?I don't care if the Camaro or even the GT500 can beat me,when I first saw this car I said short of selling my bike I'll do whatever I ahve to to get one and that was before they announced what engine they were going to have.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 AM

I've had a handful of people ask me "is that a 1970??!?!?!?!?!" also.
ORIGINAL: RUBBERBNDMAN

The WOW factor of the Challenger can not be beat...some people think my car is a tricked out 1970...
Lets see the Camaro do that. As for rice burners...They are yours!
I have a SILVER SRT8..08 model and I love it.
There it is ,go get it !
I've seen lots of Camaro pics on the comp I should have gone to the breakers with my parents to the last car show i'm sure I would have seen one , but the pics i've seen it looks like it could pass for a new gen monte carlo :-P

Quick Reply: SE has Competition