Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Seat position in the old vs. new Challenger

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat position in the old vs. new Challenger

One thing I remember about the older Challengers and I wonder if anybody remembers the same thing is not only how low
the car was off of the ground (mine was lower than a Corvette) measuring from behind the front wheel) but how low the seat was in the car.

I was almost on the floor and if I raised my feet 3 inches, my legs were straight.

I am certainly hoping the new Challengers are more ergonomic than that.

I think back in the day, that no word like ergonomics had been invented yet.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 AM

Default RE: Seat position in the old vs. new Challenger

I don't think there was a lot of difference in seat height between the '70 Challenger and the modern Mustang. At least in the Challenger, though, you had some leg room.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when I was 19 years old I let my Mother drive my Challenger and I rode shotgun. The seat had a bad habit of coming unset and sliding back. My Mother is 5'1" and when she hit the gas to pull out of our driveway the seat let loose. She slid backwards and her feet flew up on each side of the steering wheel The car came to a complete stop and she could'nt reach the pedals. She had to re-ajust the seat full forward so she could regain control of the car. I was rolling and in complete laughter at that sight. She was mad and scared. That was the last time my Mother drove my Challenger. She was always cool that way and is still today. She would jump out of a plane and parachute because she thought it would be fun. She wanted to drive a muscle car because she thought it would be fun My parents are some of my best friends and they have taught me alot. One is thing is for sure... laughter is a good thing and should be done as often as possible. Thanks Mom for the great memory and I still laugh when I see this in my head Tires burning and the abrubt stop, what a sight.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Lear you give some of the best story's. I bet that was a great sight. I am still very young so when i was around 14 my mother decided to ride on the back of my 4 wheeler. Needless to say i rode a wheely for nearly 10 feet and i believe shit came close to pissing on herself....Good times.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM

AAAHHH those are the things you will remember and tell your friends. Then your kids and then your grand kids... if you are fortunate enough to tell the tales. These are the good ole days.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Newer seats are adjustable on the height, if this isn't enough, you can buy a seat cushion from Wal-Mart that can help remedy this problem. I use a seat cushion all the time due to the fact that my car's seat has the tendency to cut off the circulation on my legs as they push upwards into my leg when I'm pressing the throttle.

Lear4406: LOL! I bet that was funny to watch. The humorous thing I get to watch once in a while is when my mom tries to drive my car. My mom has been driving minivans since 1991 (the first one had the base 2.5 I4) and as a result is not used to driving anything with over 200hp in it as she never gets the top engine choice. Although my Intrepid is far from a muscle car, the throttle is quite sensitive and everytime she tries to drive it she's give it too much gas and she says "Whoa, slow down!" as the tires start screeching. It's quite hilarious for both of us.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-28-2007, 02:54 AM

The only thing I don't like about the seating in my Challenger, is the steering wheel. I wish it was adjustable and telescoping. i have to squeeze my legs in to get it to fit underneath of it. Now I'm a skinny guy 6'4 and 175, so I could only imagine how a bigger guy feels.

My mother never wanted to drive any of my cars. Once she had to take my Charger out, when I was in highschool, to take it and have an alignment done. Needless to say, she has never driven an older musclecar since. Although she does have a ls1 Trans Am.

My dad on the other hand loves driving it[sm=gears.gif]. He probably drives my challenger more than I do, being I have it in his garage and I live 2 hours away.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Lets hear it for all the MOMs out there that prayed for us and worried about us every time we fired our beast up and drove out into the night. May GOD bless them and keep them as he has for oh so many years. And I hope I have'nt caused any gray hair or a wrinkle here or there. Our MOMs are the best and we remember every moment that puts a smile on our face I love hearing you guys talk about the every day things your family and friends do that make up life that is so Americana. We are the last of a dieing breed of car folks who remember the good old days and that these are the good old days once again. You young guys grab it now and hold on to it quick, their gone before you know it. What we have now is not a garuantee that we will have it tomarrow. So fire that boy up and go show the street who's boss.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking of memories....all of my neighbors knew what time it was in the morning as I headed off to college by the firing up of my Challenger
and hearing the glass packs roar. I never knew that until years later when a old girl friend neighbor of mine told me that. I just laughed.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Jeremiah, I always WANTED to let the neighbors know when I was leaving. It was getting back home I was worried about -- not to let my parents know how often I came in WAY late.

Quick Reply: Seat position in the old vs. new Challenger