Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

shipping cost

Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping cost

does anyone know or has anyone dealt with this kind of situation. Shipping a car from up north down to the south. Im thinking of shipping an ordered challenger down here to miami from washington. Anyone have a ballpark figure on shipping cost ect?
Old 01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
mac

Default RE: shipping cost

Back in 2001 I looked into shipping a car from Georgia to Oregon and believe it was 1500 dollars. Could be 2000 now not sure. You should google it and find some shippers and E-mail them for an estimate. I assume you are talking about Wash state and not the District of Columbia. Here is one I found, but do not take this as an endorsement, just one of the first to pop up on google, but has an instant estimator.

http://www.nationaltransportllc.com/...FRqYiQodtFCGQA
Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 AM

$1,500 shipping in an enclosed carrier sounds about right. Obviously you can get it done cheaper if you want to go open carrier. I shipped a vehicle from Southwestern Indiana to Denver for $750 on an open carrier. My advice would be to shop around. There are plenty of carriers out there. One thing to consider also is: if you go with a cheaper carrier, there could be delays in getting the vehicle picked up. The way I understand it, when you schedule a pickup, it goes into a national database and some carrier will grab it based on their routes and what you are willing to pay. Seems like the more you are willing to pay, the quicker you can get it picked up.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 AM

I understand also you can get pretty good deals if you find a carrier making a return trip that has no scheduled load, or a minimal return load.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 AM

3 months ago i priced NYC to ATL for 1 car and the cost was 575.00 for 45 day estimated shipping time. Got the quote off ebay motors or autotrader cant remember which.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 AM

I haven't shipped a car myself, but have had friends do it. Both times they had issues. Once, the car on top in the carrier leaked fluids down onto the friend's car below, and then the other time there was damage from road debris on an open carrier. On a new Challenger I would not necessarily go for the cheapest option, but rather go with someone who will guarantee that the car arrives in the condition you expect. Maybe my friends just had bad luck, but they both wished they'd gone with higher-end carriers when all was said and done.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM

I have a little story to tell - When I bought my `05 Mustang GT that November I travelled from Boston to Dayton, OH to get it. I couldn't find the exact one I was looking for with all the trimmings close to home. Mainly because they were flying off the lots with in 2-3 days of delivery! Things have obviously changed some three years later and now you can find one at almost any given Ford store. Anywho, it just so happened the "perfect" one that I wanted was way out in OH. Overall I had a great experience and all I can say is that it was, without a doubt, the funnest 12 hours I ever spent in the cockpit!

Do yourselves a favor and drive your new Challenger back home if you purchase it out-of-state. Just be prepared for a lot of gawkers, a lot of questions when you stop for gas, etc. and the occasional driver in your rearview who wants to try and keep up.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wind up buying my 2009 SRT out-of-state, I will probably fly to the city and drive it home.

I already asked the SRT engineers, during a chat session, if driving 500+ miles would hurt the engine during break-in. They said that there was no problem, just as long as I avoided wide open throttle! [sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 AM

My anecdotal experience. Last year I shipped a 2005 GTO and 2006 Solstice from Boston to San Leandro (Oakland) thru Dependable Auto Shippers. They are online. Paid about $1650 total for both cars in an open carrier. Cars were perfect upon delivery and this was during winter when you'd expect more crap on the road. Both were dropped off at the same time, but arrived a few days apart. Somewhere along the line they split them up. A bit of a hassle to pick up two times, but the cars were fine. Also ask for a top spot on the carrier. Worth the extra $50 or so just not to have someone else's fluids leaking on your car, less road crap on them, and out of reach of people.