Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SMS Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand

Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMS Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand

So we will see a Saleen Challenger!!

Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand
Posted Mar 14th 2008 6:33PM by John Neff
Filed under: Aftermarket, New York Auto Show, Sports/GTs, Saleen

Unbeknownst to many, Steve Saleen's empire incorporates a number of brands beyond the one that pumps out modified Mustangs, including Saleen Autosport, Saleen Productions, Saleen Speedlab, Saleen Performance and Saleen, Inc. The legend has just announced he'll be adding one more brand to his portfolio focused solely on "high-end of the diverse American Muscle Car and Global Supercar markets." Called SMS Limited, this brand will allow Saleen to develop and distribute high-end supercars developed in-house, i.e. having nothing to do with Ford. We've also confirmed that the Saleen S5S Raptor concept debuting at the New York Auto Show next week has nothing to do with SMS Limited and remains a joint development between Saleen, Inc. and ASC.

In the press release after the jump, Saleen also reveals that his company will have turn-key tuned versions and performance parts available for the entire trio of modern American muscle cars coming onto the market in a couple years, including the Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger and Chevy Camaro. Finally, he also makes mention of Saleen's return to American Le Mans Series racing, which we'll learn more about in the near future.

New Saleen supercars; Saleen versions of the next Mustang, Challenger and Camaro; and a return to ALMS racing? Sounds like a solid business plan to us.

[Source: Saleen]

PRESS RELEASE

March 13, 2008 - Orange County, California. Steve Saleen announced today the formation of "SMS Limited", Lifestyle Performance Automobiles, the pinnacle brand in his portfolio of companies. As a professional race driver and innovative businessman, Steve is well known as the founder of numerous Steve Saleen Brands including Saleen Autosport in 1983, Saleen Productions in 1993, Saleen Speedlab in 1997, Saleen Performance in 1999, Saleen, Inc. in 2001 and now SMS Limited in 2008. In the years of building the many brands, Mr. Saleen oversaw and participated in every aspect of the business, product development, sales and marketing. His latest endeavor will focus on the expansion into the high-end of the diverse American Muscle Car and Global Supercar markets.

"I am drawing upon 25 years of rich experience in the automotive industry to address the rapidly expanding global market of automotive lifestyle vehicles, technical performance parts, accessories and apparel" explains Steve Saleen, Chairman and CEO of SMS Limited. "SMS will enable us to do what could not be done at Saleen, Inc. due to their heritage with the Ford dealer network and Ford vehicles. We are using this freedom, along with our new technology developed at SMS to create world-class specialty vehicles."

"We are currently developing our Signature Series of ultra high performance vehicles and technical performance parts which will address the new American Muscle Car offerings", discloses Mr. Saleen, "our charter focuses on delivering the best solutions at the best performance value to the varied world of the automotive enthusiast, be they Dodge, Chevrolet or Ford faithful."

"Supercar fans will be delighted to learn about the all-new vehicles and new technology we are currently developing", reveals Mr. Saleen "these cars will deliver superior performance and innovation for both the track day enthusiast and the passionate on-road driver". Billy Tally, Chief Technical Officer, adds, "These vehicles have been engineered to meet the demands of the world's most challenging race tracks". Mr. Saleen continues, "Sportscar racing enthusiasts will be excited about the upcoming announcement of our return to racing in the American LeMans Series. You will hear more about that very soon."

"Developing and manufacturing cars is one thing, but selling them is quite another" continues Mr. S
Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: SMS Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand

I thought Steve left his company a year ago.

I would really have to look at what Saleen is doing to a Challenger before I would consider it. My guess it will be very expensive as well.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I would really have to look at what Saleen is doing to a Challenger before I would consider it. My guess it will be very expensive as well.
Yep -- he left Saleen, the company he founded and named after himself, on not so good a terms too as I recall. And you're 100% correct on the second part of that too: Saleens are ridiculously expensive. Put that name on there and it equals $20k markup on just the base ones. I'll never forget the 2003 Saleen S281 (not extreme) I saw on the the lot at Team Ford for $60k before the markups. The best part was the crappy paint job on the ground effects...and that's when Steve was running the company

Also there are many a story about actual Saleen rims breaking at the track...a guy on the Mach1registry.com called Saleen about it and they basically told him the wheels were more meant for looks than that type of driving??? You know, the type of driving that the company markets the cars on being capable of!?!?!

The most recent issue of Road&Track has a shootout between the new Shelby GTC, Saleen S281, and a comparable Rousch...the best part? The Saleen, in addition to the other cars, hovered around $50k and was basically a GT with a brake package, a body kit, wheels, and just about the same performance numbers. So yeah -- thier stuff doesn't impress me
Old 03-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I would love to see an aftermarket company provide a Stage 1,2,3,4 type of approach (like Roush does for Ford) for the Challenger.

That way I can upgade when I want.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds excellent. Nice to hear that it will have someone other than Hennessey.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: firebird1999us

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The most recent issue of Road&Track has a shootout between the new Shelby GTC, Saleen S281, and a comparable Rousch...the best part? The Saleen, in addition to the other cars, hovered around $50k and was basically a GT with a brake package, a body kit, wheels, and just about the same performance numbers. So yeah -- thier stuff doesn't impress me
I read that as well and I was pretty much unimpressed with what Saleen offered as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Well I guess I will not be looking at a Saleen car.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 AM

Interesting. I'd like to see what the company ends up offering. He's done some nice stuff for the Mustangs so let's hope it carries over to the Challenger.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saleen is big on customizing the exterior of his cars. I wouldn't be suprised if he makes a T/A or 'Cuda model with a 500+ hp engine. That would be sweet!
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Im with you Jerimiah I'd also like to see stage kits. I.E. The Roush Mustangs.

Quick Reply: SMS Limited: Steve Saleen announces new supercar brand