Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

So Which is Quicker?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So Which is Quicker?

Just keep in mind that having a race/fast car does not make you a race/fast car driver. More often then not the driver loses the race and not the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Never Mind Paladin I found it thanks to your page!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Rudy61SRT8

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Stock for stock, I'd have to give the SRT the edge. Even with the auto and a tad extra weight, they still have 50 more horses than our R/Ts.

A few mods on the R/T could easily help even up the odds, though
put a few mods on the srt and let's see ....
put a few more mods on an rt then let's really see!

we can keep goin all night
Old 12-23-2008, 07:14 PM

That's generally true, but not all cars are created equal. Some SRT's will be faster than others, regardless of the driver. And we all know Hemi Orange is faster than all the other colors.

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Just keep in mind that having a race/fast car does not make you a race/fast car driver. More often then not the driver loses the race and not the car.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

the srt is faster by a few tenths...that is about it....
I could race a stick civic and beat a manual challenger if the driver spins too much and cant shift..
Huh? That's truly astounding! Why wasn't this posted before now?
I thought I'd get a decent meausure of performance for the $44K I laid down for my SRT8. Guess I was really wrong, eh?
I should see what I can get for my '09 6 speed Challenger SRT8 as a trade in on a new R/T and a 2 yr old Civic. That way I could have 2 cars that - with just a little modding and crisp shifting - could beat the overrated SRT8!

Then again, maybe I should put more thought into this than I did when I just ran out and ordered the SRT8 - after many months of comparing engines, transmissions/gearing, suspensions, standard equipment, and careful consideration of options.

I wonder if the same statements are made of Shelby's by GT owners on the F*#^ boards?
[]
Old 12-24-2008, 01:42 AM

wow you really didnt understand my comment...oh well....some people wont get it. maybe in caps it will help.

STICK VS STICK IT IS A DRIVERS RACE...

HENCE WHY A GUY WITH A PIECE OFCRAP CIVIC COULD BEAT A GUY IN AN SRT8 MANUAL

EXAMPLE...THE SRT8 SHIFTS SUPER SLOW OR MISSES GEARS ECT ECT.

geez these srt8 guys read civic and flip out, relax.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 AM

Let me see if I've got this right, we put someone who doesn't know how to drive in an SRT8 and a professional driver in a Civic. Then the Civic could win? Driver error or catastrophic mechanical failure can change the results of a race.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 AM

I wouldn't say "flipping out"....... but lets make reasonable statements.
CAPS or no caps, you could put a comatose guy in an Ferrari Enzo and he wouldn't beat a shopping cart. So your statement of beating anything (let alone an SRT) with a Civic is moot.

There's a reason why the SRT's cost so much more than the R/T's. If they were that close in performance, they'd be close in price as well. AND there'd be no point in having the different trim levels if "two or three mods" bring them equal". Actually, it would give me cause to wonder why the SRT engineers didn't just add those mods to the R/T and call it an SRT.
The SRT is MUCH more than just .4 quicker in the 1/4 mile. Compare ALL of the stats/numbers if you're looking to represent a fair comparison. Compare cornering, steering, braking, ......everything. To make a "blanket comparison" based only on 1/4 mile times is wildly inaccurate.

I'm NOT slamming the R/T. It's a GREAT package - which is why my wife has an R/T Charger. They're a great value and perform extremely well. But making statements like "the srt is faster by a few tenths ... that is about it ..." is a gross mis-/under statement.

Lets play fair.

And PLEASE don't insult my intelligence or talk down to me ("some people won't get it").
You seem to make a habit of posting grossly inaccurate generalizations.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:32 AM

This is funny. Reminds me of the late 80s Mustangs flame wars when the guys who bought the GT 5 liters found out the base model notch back 5.0s were quicker. Accept that in our cases we have considerably built engines in the 6.1 relative to the 5.7. Forged crank, tighter tolerances, specially ground cam, higher performance heads, tune intake runners, windage provisions, near after market quality intake filtering & exhaust, factory shorty headers, better harmonic balancer, Brembo brakes that haul the 2 ton package down from 60 in supercar quality fashion. And let's not talk about the after market options. The upper limit of the 6.1 is nearly 1000 HP before you start having to strengthen the lower end. The 5.7 shouldn't be pushed much past 600 if reliabilty is to be maintained.

The R/Ts are great Bang-for-the-buck muscle cars. They weren't meant to be the uptimal street performance king.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:06 PM

it isnt a habit , it is my opinion

Bootcamp, the RT is close in price when you add the options and such that the SRT8 has...the SRT8 isnt 10k more or w.e becuase it is lightyears faster than the rt. Listen I am not denying that the srt8 is faster but it isnt by much just look at the numbers...390hp(by dynos) 400 tq rt vs 425 hp and 410+lb of tq srt8
it is simple. The srt8 comes with the extra goodies which for some people is great and for others isnt.

and I am not known for the things you claim, I am known for stating my opinion and backing it up with facts. And engaging in a respectful debate

Also you are right about the statement I made...the srt8 can corner better....I was talking about performance. If you want to talk about options ect ect the srt8 has the edge bigtime. The SRT8 is worth what you paid for it but dont make it out to seem like you paid 10k more and got 100hp and 100 tq more...you just got a better OVERALL package....not a strict performance increase.

Quick Reply: So Which is Quicker?