Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It" (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/sorry-mopar-challenger-lacks-%22%22-2510/)

Tass13 02-06-2008 06:20 PM

Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

I've given it 24 hours and hundreds of looks and I'm still not buying. The fact that sitting inside this car is 100% the same as sitting in the Sorry excuse for a Charger (4 doors, who had his mom at work that day?) makes my stomach turn.

The famous E-body look of the Concept is lost with this box-ended decoy and if I could go back in time to talk to the production engineers I would remind them of the Golden Rule in design engineering.

If you need a "production line" car solution bad, You'll get a Bad Production line car solution.

You rushed, Cut Corners and I'm Sorry to say that even as a life long Mopar driver, I'll be putting my money back in the bank until you let go of the conservative corporate beancounter that blew this chance at building the best selling mopar in almost 40 years.

Fix the lines to get back to the "concept" curvy E-Body we all loved and miss so dearly, lose the 500 extra pounds of trunk space and rear roof line for power gains, add in the Pistol grip 6 speed tremec with the 6.1 Hemi option and Don't forget to throw in a true "Challenger" interior.

Do this and I'll Plunk down the 50k cash and drive it every day until gas is 10 bucks a gallon. If you dont, I'll weep when you go bankrupt (cancel, cancel) but at least I tried to help save the only Car Company I have ever been loyal too; hell I once owned a front wheel drive 2.2 liter "Charger". (you owe me for that) Now my Durango sits waiting for a worthy companion...

The way I see it, I've spent two precious years of my life waiting in Vain. so, come on... YOU OWE ME THIS ONE!!

PS. I'll take the Concept Challenger off your hands if you all really like this car better....Thought not.

MGDMike 02-06-2008 07:36 PM

RE: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

Hey, its cool with me how you feel. But for me.. they did a dang good job. If I wanted a '74 then I'll go out and buy a '74 but I don't. We can't get everything we want out of life.:)

dodgedriver 02-06-2008 07:53 PM

I actually like it better than the first generation...

DSkippy 02-06-2008 08:11 PM

See it in person, before you judge. It's got sweet lines. They're going to hash out any deficiencies, and you've pointed out some valid ones. Time and patience. Though, honestly, they'd have had my money today if I could have gotten it with the 6 and @ MSRP or a possible a tick or two higher (so, it wasn't meant to be for me in 08, 09 is looking fine!)

Paladin06 02-07-2008 04:31 AM

Well, I've had almost 24 hours to review all pics available and rethink my initial response. I think it was the triple black pictures that did it for me. With that said I'm in 110%. Triple black, R/T all possible options available...:D:D

lear4406 02-07-2008 04:45 AM

Tass13 Ive been waiting a long time for this car and the only thing I can say is this is 2008. If you want a 70-74 Challenger... then thats what you need to get. The 2008 run is better handling, braking, turning and overall comfortable ride. Better heating, airconditioning, sound system, and it will also tell you where your going. Over all better HP numbers. You get one heck of a nice ride for a Challenger. And I know Challengers. They are not my first choice when it comes to comfort. But I do like the drive. This 2008 will give you that and more. But if you don't buy one, who cares... someone else will thats for sure. Just wave bye bye as the Challenger train goes by and in a big hurry. This is the one shot you get at a new one, I'll be buying a 2009 with a 6-speed and cruising in style AND comfort:D Can't wait:)

DmnBoy 02-07-2008 05:38 AM

I think the interior is done well-it is simple, functional, and looks good-I do wish they would have done the dash/gauges more like a rallye dash from the 70's, with full instrumentation (oil pressure, ammeter, etc) but the door panels, have a similiar shape, I like the interior handles (in carbon fiber to boot!), the overhead console is clean & functional, and it looks like something that should be in this kind of car-NOT something that should be in a Caddy or BMW-'Luxury' belongs in a luxury car; this is a ponycar/musclecar and looks to be equipped properly-

I too am waiting for '09 and a 6 speed R/T...what would be nice would be a package that gets you the brakes, suspension etc of the SRT but with the 380 horse Hemi and a 6 speed...in Sublime!:)

DK challenger 02-07-2008 07:15 AM

Yep, a triple-black challenger with the red R/T on the grill will look awsome, wonder if they will put R/T on the rear ducktail spolier? Any ideas?

DmnBoy 02-07-2008 07:30 AM

I think that would be smooth...that and maybe a '70 Bumblebee stripe? In carbon fiber to match hood stripes? Hmmm...may have to Photoshop that one...

Paladin06 02-07-2008 08:53 AM

If they don't, I will.:D

ORIGINAL: DK challenger

Yep, a triple-black challenger with the red R/T on the grill will look awsome, wonder if they will put R/T on the rear ducktail spolier? Any ideas?

Albeeno 02-07-2008 08:53 AM

I've heard a lot of variations on the upcoming R/T's output...340, 350, 380HP...what gives? Any idea which (if any) will be correct?

Albeeno 02-07-2008 10:00 AM

-same motor
-same chasis
-same suspension (for the most part)
-same transmission

...as the Charger

I'm just wondering why it took Dodge two plus years to de-tune the suspension; apply carbon fiber hood stripes; remove the rear doors from the Charger; shorten the wheel base 4 inches and re-brand this thing as a Challenger. Can any engineering wizards at Chrysler maybe help answer that for me? After all - I don't think it took Blue Oval that long to do the ole switch-a-roo with the Ford Tauraus to the Ford 500 and then back to the Taurus again, did it?

DmnBoy 02-07-2008 10:01 AM

It would stand to reason that they would use the variable timing 380 hp Hemi(from the new ram trucks)-I had read that was the reason the Challenger R/T had not come out first-the motor wasn't ready yet- I also read that the 380 horse motor would have MDS with the automatic, but not with the 6 speed...[X(]

DSkippy 02-07-2008 10:20 AM

The GT500 still looks better (like there's even a question when it comes to interior???) and it's faster. 4.6 vs "low-5's".
Really? Yet another Mustang in a see of Mustangs? I personally like the Challenger better, but I'm a Mopar enthusiast. Even if I weren't, however, I'd probably still like it because it's not the same thing that's been on the scene for 4 years....OK for 2008 more powerful, might as well slap "New and Improved on the Mustang windshield while you're at".

I'd say the YAWN, should be a YAM.....Yet Another Mustang......and again, Albeeno, check it out in person or look at some the pix Mirada posted in the "Anyone else make it to Philly"...it's much more impressive up close and personal.

DSkippy 02-07-2008 10:27 AM

Oh, wait Albeeno, NOW I SEE (in the picture you posted) ....that's a radical looking Mustang that CAN certainly be confused with many others from the back....we get it Ford, you like making Mustangs.

My point is you're slamming Chrysler for maximizing profit by utilizing an already developed platform and producing another body type on it and giving Kudos to Ford, for a differnt hood, grill and a hopped up engine, then you're argument is weak at best.

If you're just saying the GT500 can out perform it, then, numbers don't lie and there's validity in it.

At the end of the day, after market can make any car out perform any other, but bragging rights for sheer performance (or at least 0-60 acceleration) might got to the 500, but that isn't the only selling point. And if you were to play that game, top speed?

DmnBoy 02-07-2008 10:49 AM

Based on what Albeeno said, Dodge did the smartest thing-utilize a proven motor/transmission package, suspension parts, etc to build a new car that will predictably work and work well! I guess they could have tried sticking an inline 6 from a BMW in it to be different and show off a variety of engineering feats, but I think most Challenger buyers are going to buy this car based on a rock solid proven drivetrain, looks, and expected performance...besides, back in 1969 when the first E-bodies came out, they were built utilizing the chassis/suspension/drivetrains of the larger B-body Mopars...it worked then, and it will work now! It's the KISS method, utilizing what you have at hands for guaranteed results!:)

kevin2323 02-07-2008 11:13 AM

CORRECTION its 0-60 in 4.9 for the challenger(which is probably underated like the charger srt8) and 4.6 for the SUPERCHARGED 4.7 ford engine which your basically paying 20k for a supercharger since the lowest gt500s go for is 60k .... once i drop only 5-7k into my challenger it will be 15k less than the gt500 and will destroy it completely. and since when does anyone that is a supposed mopar loyalist or fan look into the interior of a muscle car..... back in the day the american muscle car interiors sucked and they suck now too but they are better then back in the day and so is everything else about the car.

DmnBoy 02-07-2008 11:25 AM

Now, if Dodge would lighten the interior with 'plastic', and loose about 500 lbs, I think we would be happy to have heavy use of plastic on the interior-if the cars weight was down to 3400 lbs! I would be OK with manual roll up windows and less interior sound deadner for an extra couple of tenths-hell, I have put over 200,000 miles on my Demon 340, and I enjoyed those miles just fine without all that extra plush crap...no doubt it is nice, but it isn't what will sway me into buying or not buying a Challenger!!

Axel 02-07-2008 11:48 AM

Jumping in back to the 380 hp engine. I don't see that happening right away. Remember when the Hemi first went into the cars, or pretty much anything other then the Ram, it lost hp down to 340. Five less hp, not much, but still five that would have to be made up with extra $$ in add ons.

Albeeno 02-07-2008 12:04 PM

If this interior (2005 Mustang GT) "sucks" I need to get my eyes checked...
[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...gtinterior.jpg[/IMG]

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

CORRECTION its 0-60 in 4.9 for the challenger(which is probably underated like the charger srt8) and 4.6 for the SUPERCHARGED 4.7 ford engine which your basically paying 20k for a supercharger since the lowest gt500s go for is 60k .... once i drop only 5-7k into my challenger it will be 15k less than the gt500 and will destroy it completely. and since when does anyone that is a supposed mopar loyalist or fan look into the interior of a muscle car..... back in the day the american muscle car interiors sucked and they suck now too but they are better then back in the day and so is everything else about the car.

Justinec101 02-07-2008 12:16 PM

I think some bright red seats would probably have the same effect on the challenger interior. . . which I plan on doing after I get mine.

Tass13 02-07-2008 03:42 PM

Well, A few comments. My Post was really addressed to the Challenger engineers in the hopes they might get the hint. Second, I've never owned anything built by GM or Ford but it doesn't mean you cant appreciate the effort put into the Vette and possibly the New Camaro or the GT 500 Mustang. (PS you guys, I hate to admit it but a certain 60's Mustang with the factory blown 289 had one of the greatest power to weight ratio's of any production car ever built)

Mopar ruled that era (and is missing it's chance to rule this one) because it had the balls to be different not saving money by finding a use for all the leftover "Charger" parts.(Yes Virginia, there is NO difference between my mother's 4 door Charger and the Challenger's cockpit)
Mopar made a shipload of money taking chances. Just ask the guy who wants this car in "Sub-lime". I dont believe they couldnt model the Concept closer and come on, charge me an extra 2k for a real cockpit, no big deal.

As far as my wanting a 70-71 Challenger, ( I would take a 74 if you gave it to me but only as a starter car for my daughter) If you compare the Concept Body and Interior to what we have in this SRT8 and the "old" challenger I think you'll find it more closely matches the "old" version. Like the Mona Lisa, great beauty is timeless. The pinched body and signature sweep to short stacked rear end reminded you of a crouching panther ready to strike.

The Concept had "IT", the daydream of that car, low-chugging down the avenue on a Cruise night cannot be put into words and the Interior was worthy of a rocketship on wheels. You guys who want to bow down and worship this car as a true innovation and Mopar's answer to the modern muscle machine vaccuum are going to keep those Bean Counters at Mopar Employed and you'll NEVER see what this car COULD be.

I was more expecting a 70-71 Challenger Modernized to 2008 as opposed to Mickey Mouse Version of the sad Charger. WHAT i'm saying to you is that the designers bailed on what could have been a car for the ages, Like a Viper, Prowler, Super-Bee and others.
You guys are all comparing this to a Mustang, I wanted a Vette Killer.

One last comment, to those who said I should go buy the old challenger. If Mopar won't fix this car I just might and I promise you, the 45k I use to build an old challenger will net a car that will embarrass this SRT8 version on the track or street and probably get better gas mileage. And as far as looks go, this Challenger SRT8 would look like your grandmothers car next to any well done 70-71 Model.

Any Mopar driver over 40 disagree??

kevin2323 02-07-2008 03:59 PM

it doesnt suck and neither does the challengers the seats are really nice on the chally and on that stang as well... but look at the rest of the car its all plastic just like all american cars... just cuz the leather is red doesnt mean its better... i actually like the challenger tight nit cockpit type seats better than that red leather but to his their own. stop complaining and enjoy the positives of the car. i hate when forums turn into this.

Carbon 02-07-2008 04:24 PM

Yea, no fun when people complain.

Like it or not, this is probably the Last Muscle Car that will ever be built as a production model along with the Camarro .
After this expect all Hybrids/Electric and Hydrogen from all manufactures.

I'm getting an R/T for sure!

kramtrah 02-07-2008 05:19 PM

I really have nothing to add to the frustrations of a few folks and Albeeno has been a regular contributor for quite some time that he is allowed his opinion. Unfortunately guys we aren't getting every thing that the concept offered, but concepts are just that, a concept and piece meal of ideas scrapped together, whether or not they are feasible for real production or not. The concept interior was right on, but as I said on another thread, making this affordable to the masses such as us will allow this car far more success than it could if they had to make everything just for one model in Chryslers' line-up of vehicles. That means using parts from various vehicles, where and when feasible. ALL manaufacturers offering real production line-ups (volume builds), Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, GM everything, Ford/Lincoln/Mercury do this. Reality for the Challenger is low numbers of production, unlike the Mustang which allows some leeway. This after all is not a hand built one off, not a Bentley, Aston Martin, or Ferrari, but a regular guys' car that has to be afforable to make it worth it in production and effort.

Me, I am incredibly happy with what this has ended up to be, and ordering it as soon as I am able, given the availablity of sublime, if that happens, will only be the capper when I have it in my possession.

DSkippy 02-07-2008 05:34 PM

Albeeno, I don't think it sucks, but it doesn't seem vastly different from the Challenger/Charger interior. I think the new owner ship of Chrysler understands market driven dynamics of the automotive industry and aren't ascribing themselves to Henry Ford's marketing principles "They can have any color as long as it's black". I think they'll heed the feedback address deficiencies and perfect their offering.

Remember; before Ford restyled the sadly Toyota looking mustang back to the 60's it was kind of, imnsho, kind of vapid and blasé. For first gen and working with the constraints they are, I'd say they've knocked it out of the park. Hopefully, this hit, brings commitment and acts impetus to drive innovation and evolution.

I think this is a defining point in the history of the company and I hope they understand and appreciate the gravity. Why not gamble big and go BIG and put out some real scorchers (style, comfort, quality and most importantly performance).

MGDMike 02-07-2008 06:44 PM

I feel that all the complaints are legit. As a matter of fact I'm for them.. hey, isn't that we get what we want out of car. If folks don't chime in from time to time then a vehicle will stay the same and the end product will always be what we don't want.

However, I believe personally this car wasn't never intended to be a 'vette killer.:eek: We talking the the ZR1 (aka, The Blue Devil)?Please, if I had the money for that I would be all over it!

lear4406 02-08-2008 03:09 AM

If you want a Vette killer, then a Viper is more in step. The Challenger competes with the Camaro and GTO and Mustang. The times we live in and the state of the Automotive industry we should be glad the car was made at all. We have sweated out on this Forum for two years all the scenarios. To put down an effort to bring back a car that in your memory does so many things right. I drive a 71 Challenger and all I can say is reality check. I love my 71, but it is not a 2008 smooth ride by any means. You drive a new Challenger and then an old Challenger. Night and day. My son has a 2006 Charger Dayton and to put down a nice car like the Charger is just wrong. Stop living in the 70s and enjoy the 21 century. This my be the last gasp, but we've been there before. All said and done to whine and complain is human, but this is it and I for one will jump into the mix and thank Dodge for the effort and for what they have allowed me to enjoy from my 71. Thank you Dodge and job well done.

MGDMike 02-08-2008 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

If you want a Vette killer, then a Viper is more in step. The Challenger competes with the Camaro and GTO and Mustang. The times we live in and the state of the Automotive industry we should be glad the car was made at all. We have sweated out on this Forum for two years all the scenarios. To put down an effort to bring back a car that in your memory does so many things right. I drive a 71 Challenger and all I can say is reality check. I love my 71, but it is not a 2008 smooth ride by any means. You drive a new Challenger and then an old Challenger. Night and day. My son has a 2006 Charger Dayton and to put down a nice car like the Charger is just wrong. Stop living in the 70s and enjoy the 21 century. This my be the last gasp, but we've been there before. All said and done to whine and complain is human, but this is it and I for one will jump into the mix and thank Dodge for the effort and for what they have allowed me to enjoy from my 71. Thank you Dodge and job well done.
Very well put..

Axel 02-08-2008 08:47 AM

I love that red interior on that Mustang, I however don't love the leather and the back. Those seats in the back are so comfortable, but the height requirement is 4 ft. Any larger and you have issues. lol. I also don't care for all that bright junk. Seems that is the thing that people want in the Stangs, but I would rather not. If I could get rid of the chrome around the heater vents I would. My wife's Avenger has all that bright and it's a real joy when the sun is hitting it just right as you are driving. To me it doesn't accent the car, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I had to get mine shipped from another state just to get it the way I wanted it. I don't even like the chrome on the outside of the Rams. I had to have the sports package when I got it. Just me and my opinion though.

As for Mopar ruiling the era and bringing in the dough, maybe at one point they brought in the dough, but I don't think they ever ruled the area. There was competition all the time, but I think Ford has always had it with the Mustang and I can't quite figure out why. At least I believe that's who had the best selling of the time since I can't seem to find numbers on sales. Maybe because it was more affordable or something, I don't know because safety sure wasn't at the top of the list. I believe, and I could be wrong on this also, that Mopar came in to late to really take any domination of anything unfortunately. Had they entered sooner then I believe that they would have been able to beat the competition hands down. (Now everyone that lived that era, or know more, correct me as I'm to young to know any better. lol)

Back to the money thing, if they have been doing so good and being different, why did a Germany company buy it out and then turn around and sell it at a loss? As for the change, concepts are built without any regard to safety or any other government standards. They are a show car that is never meant to be driven by the masses. If any company tried to bring out a car exactly like the ones that they had back in the day, then they would probably be in a lot of trouble with the government. If you want to blame someone for the outside that you don't care for, which I have to say is quite awesome though I have a few complaints that are no big deal, then you need to talk to the government and ask them to relax all the safety standards that they have for vehicles. As for the interior, you can blame Chyrsler all you want for that one because I agree that was just a major mess up in my opinion.

To me this muscle car hits it right on the head in terms of reproduction. Mustang is a very close second, Camaro is a joke. Interior wise, Challenger is a joke, Mustang is close and Camaro is close in terms of reproduction of the original. Don't know who would win that one. I would have to do some comparisons.

In terms of complaining. From what I hear you could be in a minority when it comes to the design of this car. The interior may be a different story, but in terms of this being a bad desing on the outside, I don't see again. Again, I have my complaints, the mirrors are strange, the butterfly valves are gone and I miss the rear concept light, but this other has grown on me, but overall they did a pretty dang good job. You don't see many concept cars come out that are this close at all. I can think of another one, though I'm sure there are many others, which would be the Viper and I hear that thing has a bad fire wall so it gets pretty hot in the cockpit.

I'm sorry to say, but if you don't like it then there are other cars out there for you. Please enjoy. (side note, most of this is in response to Tass13 comments)

Albeeno 02-08-2008 12:11 PM

I just want to say a couple things really quickly, if I could. I've been reading all the posts here since yesterday and want to address a few of them. Before I do that, I want to pass along a little trick that is helping me get over the fact that none of us, no matter how much we still believe it might happen, is ever getting THEE CONCEPT. Therefore, in order for me to help get past this, I have deleted every single pic I have of the concept, every article I've collected on the concept, etc. It's yesterday's news as far as I'm concerned. I don't even wanna think about it, let alone look at it. Hey, if this is what it takes, then sobeit. OK, so I have some issues...I'll give ya that. :)

Interior: Not the best, nowhere close to what I was expecting, but I do actually like it nonetheless....still, I don't love it. Can I live with it? Oh yeah!

It's competition: I didn't ever think this thing would be in the same league as a Vette...ever. This thing was built with two basic principles at work: 1) To crush Mustangs and Camaros and 2) To look cool as hell...while crushing Mustangs and Camaros! That's it, nothing more, nothing less. I mean we all know what we're gonna get when we order a #1 supersized at McDonald's...a Big Mac, a ton of fries and plenty of Coca-Cola to wash it all down. Plain, simple, and kicks a lotta butt. I think it's only fair that we all know what to expect with the Challenger.... I just think some people are expecting a 14oz filet mignon, for the price of a #1 at McD's.

My perceived bias for Mustangs: OK - I apologize if that bias rears its ugly head every once in a while. I'm presently on my second Mustang and I have always loved it. I stress "loved" - our realtionship, most recently, has become what some might call slightly "strained" after I did $12,383 worth of damage to it one icy, December morning on my way into work. I got her back (51 days later) and it's just not the same...nor will it ever be. That's another story for another day. My point here is that in the past if I had compared the Challenger to the Mustang, it's only because I don't have any other benchmarks to compare the Challenger to - especially not a Corvette. I wouldn't insult a Vette like that! Those things are in a league of their own; end of story. So my apologies if my "Mustang-ness" has caused any of you to just puke in your mouth. But, please understand, I mean zero disrespect to the Challenger, I just want a basis of comparison to the Challenger..whether it be on the topic of looks, price, performance, etc. GOOD, glad I got that off my chest.

I absolutely can't wait for the 2009 R/T to come out...now all I have to do is decide on what color. Harder said then done....

lear4406 02-08-2008 12:20 PM

We all deal with it in our own unique ways and Albeeno yours is unique. I hope you have a blast in your new Challenger and I can't wait to hear your stories of the road:) This is it folks and its as close as you will get. It does everything better than the old. Stock for stock. With mods all bets are off. I now sit in waiting for the 2009s and I will live vicariously through you lucky guys who will be the first in your city to have star status:D And may I say " YOU LOOK MARVELOUS". Have fun guys and give us lots of pictures and stories;)

joeyr 02-08-2008 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

We all deal with it in our own unique ways and Albeeno yours is unique. I hope you have a blast in your new Challenger and I can't wait to hear your stories of the road:) This is it folks and its as close as you will get. It does everything better than the old. Stock for stock. With mods all bets are off. I now sit in waiting for the 2009s and I will live vicariously through you lucky guys who will be the first in your city to have star status:D And may I say " YOU LOOK MARVELOUS". Have fun guys and give us lots of pictures and stories;)
Honestly albeeno I dont fault you either, I think the mustang is great car. In fact one of my friends dad had two mustangs, a third generation `93 ( I think) with pipes so loud they would wake me up every morning at 5:30 like clockwork when he blew past my house. He eventually got a ford harley davsion truck and a 2003 mustang SVT cobra, which was a bit quiter but was still mean. I dont have many mustangs in my top ten list, but those stand out in my mind. Also a friend of my who's overseas in the Airforce got her a mustang, which she has wanted as long as I knew her. She said she had a chance to drive it in Germany.

I know what you mean, Lear. At my church an older guy and I both want the challeger, and I believe he will most likely get his before mine, so I'm content with him getting it and enjoying it with him. Hopefully we can go to the track together.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-08-2008 03:10 PM

There is nothing wrong with the Mustang. My son has a 2006 Mustang GT and when I get my Challenger and my wife get's a Camaro (owned a 1976)
it could be war at our house. :D

73Cuda340 02-08-2008 04:10 PM

ALbeeno, don't fret man, I think you still rock.

I admit I like the new mustangs too and when I think of the Challenger, I can not help but compare the two. (I susppect I will compare the new camaro to both the mustang and Challenger.) My oldest daughter (now 11) loves the Mustangs (of course she has a real pony so I think it is the moniker she love more) but she also loves the Challenger because the old man has his '73 'Cuda 340 pictures on his wall along with every other piece of memorabila depicting old and new Cuda's and Challengers.

For me, I passed on the 2008 Challenger only because it did not come with a manual transmission. I almost jumped on it, (I was #1 in line in Nashua having put a deposit down [in hopes a manual was offered]), it was my daughtet who brought me back to reality, "Dad, if you are going to get this car you have to get a manual transmission." Ok I said, but you wont be able to drive it, I told her. She smiled and told me for that car, she will work hard to learn - That was enough for me (of course there was a lot more dialog but this is the gist of it.) All said and done my daughter and I are going to pick out the colors and options. We both agree we want the biggest baddest engine and extras available (she wants it for bling - actually to be cool, I want it for the tuned exhaust sound and some comforts.)

So I do not fault anyone's opinion of any car - after all, they are just cars (as my cousin who works at Chrysler Corporate keeps telling me.) Of course I wish I could get him excited about cars again. I keep pestering him with questions and his response is always, ok, I will give you a one day head start, then I have to inform the dealers. 8^) Any way I digress. The Challenger is what it is. You either like it or ya don't but it is what it is and that's all it is ever going to be. Personally, I think the interior leaves me wanting, the exterior is fantastic. It could only be improved with some decals and butterfly valves. I would like to see a stripe down its side, but an after market experience can fix that itch.

So now we all wait for 2009. There is a fair amount of information already available. In fact, we know all there is to know except for a few (color facts) but the rest is a given.

People enjoy it, get one if you can. Definitely test drive one. I have been in one, and I think it isn't bad. It does feel remarkably similar to the Charger, but a little more,hmmm, squirly. Of course it was a mule and things could have changed but it was interesting to say the least. My cousin was laze fare about it, but got me a ride and I will never forget the experience - but I have to tell ya; The people who have the "job" of driving them and showing them do not have that gut wrenching desire to "have to" own one. They reflect my cousin's opinion, it is just a car.

So maybe it is just a car. It made me think, "what the heck am I in love with"? I think memories of my youth. Speed, sound, car shows, attention - any of the above. But at the end of the day, it gets parked in my garage, not my bed (and it costs more than my wife, who has very few demands (except horses)). 8^))

I think I will get one as soon as the 2009's become available - but I am still wondering if the 2009 1/2's will be more to my liking. There are some interesting things coming the second half of 2009 for the Challenger - but I do not know if I can wait. My youth is leaving me all too quickly.

I think overall Dodge scored a 8+ out of 10.

Enjoy all,
09Challenger2009

Jeremiah 29:11 02-08-2008 05:37 PM

My youth is leaving me all too quickly.
You are as young as you feel. So keeping thinking young and you will be. "Ride that Challenger Passion" with your daughter.

Thanks for sharing that father/daughter moment. Good for you. Everybody needs to experience those moments with their sons and daughters. Sounds like you are a great dad.

Justinec101 02-08-2008 07:28 PM

"There are some interesting things coming the second half of 2009 for the Challenger"

What would those things be?

73Cuda340 02-09-2008 07:17 AM

You know I wish I knew. My cousin can be pretty tight lip'ed. He makes these statements but stops short of embellishing. Sometimes he will be more specific the day before or a couple of days before an announcement, but that is the best I can hope for. So I am in the dark as much as many others here. My cousin has worked for Chrylser for some 28 years, and I have been pestering him as long about what Chrysler is doing/thinking. I have come to recognize for my cousin it is "just a job", not much unlike how I view my occupation. For many familiarity breeds contempt or something close - apathy.

I recall many years ago he and I would cruise in my 'Cuda, now, he says the Dodge Challenger is a high stakes gamble, a frivilous attempt at revitalizing Dodge's brand. I think I understand where he is coming from and it makes me a little sad. If (and it may be a big if since I am going way out on a limb to speculate) Chrysler intends to use the Challenger as a means of revitalizing the Dodge brand, THEN it ONLY needs to be as good a car as people "perceive" it to be. That is, they get it real close and allow our imaginations and reminiscence to do the rest. Will it be enough to pull people back to Dodge? Something like, I buy a Challenger and then I get my wife to buy a Caravan - something along those lines. Hey, it may work.

I am sorry, I wish I knew. All I can say is right now I intend to order an 09 as soon as I can - unless my cousin says something like, "shame, oh well, if only you had waited" - but of course he wont say that until after I order it. 8^) - Such is life!

09Challenger6.1

Tass13 02-11-2008 08:09 PM

Alright, A little History Lesson.

First and foremost, in the late 60's early 70's DRAG racing was the rage. Translated to the street, that was Stop light to stop light or a little midnight airport running. We all know what happened to the T/A mopars. Back track and roundy round were not the MOPAR strength.
BUT>>>> NOTHING GM or FORD made could hold a candle straight line to the HEMI or even a well tuned 440-Six Pak. Even the Vette and the venerable Shelby had trouble seeing anything but tail lights back then. Hence, any 1/4 mile motor is a HEMI now, am I wrong?

So, while this challenger most certainly was not expected to keep up to the vette over the river and through the woods to grandma's house, I was hoping for the Vette killing, camaro crunching, mustang mauling eat my dust 40-110 in 3 seconds shut it down before you get to dead man's curve hey-day that Mopar RULED. Or at least, in my humble opinion, Vette killing look of the Concept W/ that oh so special interior and 1/4 mile designed left hand gauge cluster!

Think about it boys, the concept had that 1/4 mile cluster to REMIND us mopar fans of those heady by-gone days of dominance. Was I NOT to assume that the engineers had that fact in mind when they installed that "gauge" in the Concept? Any Mopar guy would have gotten the hint... HEMI CHALLENGER, won't corner for crap torsion bars, but will beat your ass the shortest distance from point A to B. rebirth...including the "rocketship" interior.

Now, some commented on affordable to the masses. DAMN... how many people could afford a Daytona, Super-Bee, Hemi-Cuda or even a 440 Six-Pak shaker hooded side exhaust Challenger back then? Build the Monster and the ones that cant afford it will by the slant-six model... Come on. I for one, would pay the money for the "concept" challenger. Then sell the dumbed down version with a smaller hemi, charger interior and boxy rear end to the wanna bees. No??

Tass13 02-11-2008 08:26 PM

Maybe Someone will start a "Saleen" or a "Shelby" or god-knows what Company to address this issue?

BODY KITS for an ass end overhaul??

CRATE MOTORS with BLOWERS for the Hemi-house?

ROLL CAGES??? NARROWED REAR DANA"S?? WEIGHT REDUCTION BUMPERS????

RACING INTERIORS with Chrome Pistol Grip SHIFTERS and a TRIGGER STYLE NITROUS BUTTON!!!!!!!!
......sorry, the possibilities are too exciting.

All We'll have to do is buy one of these new ones for 35k, add another 30k, Gut it out, carve it up and Whaaaa laaaa. Vette Killer! (no cornering allowed) That my friends will sell more challengers than that poor canadian factory can make... and then I woke up.

:)