Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

so by saying a 28k mustang outperforms a 40k srt8 performance model makes me laugh...
I didn't say that. I said matched, not outperformed. There is a difference. And for the extra 12K you save with the GT you can mod it and it will blow the doors off the SRT8.

I still like the look of the Challenger better.

I'm going to believe motortrend and others before "forum trolls". The 0-60 is not under 5 on the Charger SRT8.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=1
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pes_comparison

For the record I may still get a Challenger in 2010. Currently saving up. But only if they tweak the performance and I can still get into it for around 40K @ that point.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 AM

those 2 articles prove my point and contradict your point. one article says 0-60 in 5.4 the other one stated it in 5.0 flat, these guys are just as bad or as unreliable as the "forum trolls". i would trust a forum troll who has owned a charger srt8 for over 2 years and has run on tracks and clocked 0-60s in high 4s than these so called 'expert' testers who take the car out around the track once, floor it and get these bad times then never drive the car again. if you know anything about the srt8s is that you cant gun it.. you have to feather it and then floor it. it takes some practice but once you get it, your 0-60 is amazing. but i cant change your mind, go ahead and buy your 28k gt its great value and performance but will it beat the srt8? no way in hell, at best itll be kissing my rear tailight.

ps: even at 5.0 it still bests the 5.1 0-60 the gt puts out and the top end too.

lovin the discussions on this forum, we should rename the forum ford vs dodge.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM

looks like these muscle car wars are getting started already
Old 02-20-2008, 10:11 AM

YEEEEEE HAAAAAW! By Summer `09 when the Camaro is out again, it'll (officially) be Game-On! BTW, has anyone heard anything about Ford upping the HP in the Mustang GT to 350? Thought I read that somewhere recently... No doubt they're crappin twinkies right now about the potential sucess of the Camaro and Challenger.

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

looks like these muscle car wars are getting started already
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 AM

i heard 325hp for the gt maybe 350 for the boss 302
Old 02-21-2008, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

i would trust a forum troll
I wouldn't.
but i cant change your mind, go ahead and buy your 28k gt its great value and performance but will it beat the srt8?
May not beat it but it certainly isn't going to get murdered by the SRT8. Not anywhere near the neighborhood to justify the extra cost of the latter.

Not to mention spend a little more on the GT to mod it and you can blow the doors off the SRT8 and still save thousands.

BTW I read some "forum troll" who said his GT clocked 0-60 in under 5 so I guess since you trust them so much you'll have to admit you're wrong right? LOL!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM

Well I for one don't live and die by 1/4 mile times, so if a Mustang guy can spend a few thou and beat my SRT8, more power to him - I really don't care. I don't buy my cars to show them off at the dragstrip, I buy them for ME (and the wife too, of course).

If I do ever take my car to the dragstrip and some hot-shot Mustang (or whatever) with mods out the ying-yang beats me, I'll be the first to shake his hand and congratulate him at the end of the race, because at the end of the day, it's all about what makes ME happy, not some stats on a statistics sheet.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 AM

i really think these cars were made to handle not drag race i still say they should put a live axel in the R/T challenger it would cut some of the weight off the car IRS isn't for drag racing live axels are
Old 02-21-2008, 07:01 AM

I know where you guys are coming from. It's almost an apples to oranges comparison (SRT8 Charger vs. GT). The Charger is a more practical semi-family car. Hence the extra weight and extra required horsepower. But he and I were talking strictly performance for the $$. All other considerations secondary in that discussion.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:03 AM

this discussion would go on forever...........................DODGE wins... ok conversation over. lol jk

but do you see my point riptide? even edmunds and other companys cant get a good clock on the times due to traction(they each clocked numbers not even close to each other 5.4 and the other 5.0). it takes a while to learn how to launch the srt8s but imho i believe that the mustang 4.7 l or 5.0 wont throw you back into your seat like the srt8 can plain and simple, and it plain and simply outperforms the gt in every way which in the end makes it will give it car lengths since it has better 0-60 and better top end.

and yes the challenger is a big heavy car, WITH BIG HORSEPOWER WOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

Quick Reply: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"