Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"

As for the debate about the GT vs. SRT, I already commented that comparison is a completely illogical comparison. One of the biggest flaws in that comparison is that they are comparing an automatic SRT to a manual GT. I know that the 2008 does not have a manual yet, but the fact of the matter is the GT is not limited to a manual; therefore, you compare apples to apples in transmission offerings.
The fact is the automotive media like everyother type of media in the world is very bias and they have their favorites just like we do.

True that! Big time! Yep. They're showing the inequity through a flawed comparison while they still can. Since the competition hasn't fully engaged the battle yet, they are now claiming a victory, because they KNOW, when the 2009 Challenger comes to town adorned w/ 6sp and 380 the GT is going to have to go back to the drawing board.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Ford says 0-60 4.9 for the GT.

What is the official Chrysler figure for the SRT8 Charger?

We can go back and forth all day on times we read from people in forums. People have done better than 5.3 in a GT.

As for top speed, who cares? Most of the time those are estimates anyway and I have had one hell of a time finding any examples of someone who actually took a Charger up to the estimated top speed. Or even over 145 for that matter. It's hocus pocus.

Seriously, does the transmission even matter any more (auto vs. man)? I've heard that automatics these days are typically just as quick as a manual.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Hey, I have the answer to all this arguing. If you want a Challenger, get one. If you want a Mustang get one. I knew there had to be a simple solution.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 PM

thank you RLSH700 for reiterrating my argument to these ford fans ... jk albeeno and riptide...but thank you as a moderator and a car enthusiast for helping my argument out.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Riptide

We can go back and forth all day on times we read from people in forums. People have done better than 5.3 in a GT.

As for top speed, who cares? Most of the time those are estimates anyway and I have had one hell of a time finding any examples of someone who actually took a Charger up to the estimated top speed. Or even over 145 for that matter. It's hocus pocus.

Seriously, does the transmission even matter any more (auto vs. man)? I've heard that automatics these days are typically just as quick as a manual.
The official from Chrysler was about 5.1 secs, yet in most real life comparisons the SRT-8 got 4.7-4.9secs vs. Ford's claim of 4.9 secs for the GT which has yet to be backed up after all the tests; therefore, a lie by the manufacture as it is making unreliable claims. The suggested 5.3secs is an average for the automatic as I have seen both for the auto, vs. the manual is pretty consistent at 5.1 secs. I was talking hypothetically what you could expect IF the comparison was with both of them using the same type of transmission as it is not logical to compare a manual to an auto when the car featuring the manual can also be equipped when an automatic is available. You should try to compare like transmissions to make things as even as possible to get past the fact that a manual tends to be a more efficient transmission option. The fact is the transmission does matter and the acceleration times you will see between the two on the Mustang and other cars (normally .2 in the 0-60 run).

Some of the reviews I have read for sure with other SRT models including the 300C SRT-8 have stated that they top it out and it was above 165 mph. It depends on whether or not you intend to take it on the track or not. Another thing is if you are wanting to run from the authorities (something I don't recommend trying). The GT500 would be about 5-7 mph faster than the fastest official police cruiser on the market (the Charger 5.7L Hemi version), the Challenger with a rated top speed of over 170 would certainly boost your chances, but ultimately you have to be able to outrun a Motorola which is a difficult task.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Per RLSH, the point is moot until you get like configured cars next to each other. Ford propagandists are going to enjoy this lack of head to head, real deal coparison and not just 0-60's, how 'bout running the gauntlet, until the wait is over and the real wars begin and then end (thanks again CAFE).

Old 02-22-2008, 02:47 PM

These alleged 0-60 times for the SRT8 under 5 sec are probably nonsense. How about we see some real times taken with accurate equipment and not the built in clock? Almost every major publication with professional drivers and more sophisticated timing machines are getting over 5 seconds.

As for the top speed the Charger might go a little faster. But not many of us are thinking about evading the law. lol
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey... I've got an idea... let's get a couple of us dyed in the wool Mopar guys over to the Mustang forum and start a thread... I know... we'll call it "The Mustang really lacks it" and see if we can get 'em going on a debate about HP and styling and anything other subjective criteria we can think of. I'll call myself Ripbo and someone else can be Albeetide and of course we'll definately need a 13assT, and we'll see if we can make Challenger fans out of them...

Sound like fun... ...ahh, maybe not... never mind...

All in all, though this sparring has been interesting and informative. Cheers!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM

RLSH700 im going to have to correct you on that statement from chrysler that said they said 0-60 in 5.1..... they actually said 4.9 which is underrated. chrysler vp said it during the chicago auto show. if any of you watched it, he said 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 quarter mile in 13.3 top speed 177mph

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

ORIGINAL: Riptide

The official from Chrysler was about 5.1 secs, yet in most real life comparisons the SRT-8 got 4.7-4.9secs vs. Ford's claim of 4.9 secs for the GT which has yet to be backed up after all the tests; therefore, a lie by the manufacture as it is making unreliable claims. The suggested 5.3secs is an average for the automatic as I have seen both for the auto, vs. the manual is pretty consistent at 5.1 secs. I was talking hypothetically what you could expect IF the comparison was with both of them using the same type of transmission as it is not logical to compare a manual to an auto when the car featuring the manual can also be equipped when an automatic is available. You should try to compare like transmissions to make things as even as possible to get past the fact that a manual tends to be a more efficient transmission option. The fact is the transmission does matter and the acceleration times you will see between the two on the Mustang and other cars (normally .2 in the 0-60 run).

Some of the reviews I have read for sure with other SRT models including the 300C SRT-8 have stated that they top it out and it was above 165 mph. It depends on whether or not you intend to take it on the track or not. Another thing is if you are wanting to run from the authorities (something I don't recommend trying). The GT500 would be about 5-7 mph faster than the fastest official police cruiser on the market (the Charger 5.7L Hemi version), the Challenger with a rated top speed of over 170 would certainly boost your chances, but ultimately you have to be able to outrun a Motorola which is a difficult task.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

RLSH700 im going to have to correct you on that statement from chrysler that said they said 0-60 in 5.1..... they actually said 4.9 which is underrated. chrysler vp said it during the chicago auto show. if any of you watched it, he said 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 quarter mile in 13.3 top speed 177mph
I remember very clearly that he also said 60-0 braking was 100 feet, which is being stated as 110 feet elsewhere. A full 10% difference.

Quick Reply: Sorry Mopar, This Challenger lacks "It"