Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

T-Tops

Old 04-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Tops

Do you remember them? What do you think they would be like and would you buy it on the NEW Chally???
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Default RE: T-Tops

I think that t-tops are cool, but I'm not sure that they would look good on the challenger. How about a targa top? Dodge had a concept car called the yellow jacket in 1969. This design became the challenger in 1970. The yellow jacket had a targa top and I think that it looked really good. However, I have heard that Chrysler is working on a hardtop convertible in the next year or two for the challenger so I think that pretty much makes any debate on t-tops or targa tops mute.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:57 AM

Forget T-tops. I still remember a long wire story I edited back in the '80s about several kids who got killed in a Trans Am with T-tops. Their families finally were able to prove in court that the T-tops has basically destroyed the structural integrity of the car. Apparently, T-tops are cut out of the existing roof when the car gets to the end of the assembly line. Hence, like many convertibles, the car actually isn't designed to have them. I'd just as soon have as much metal around me as possible.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Forget T-tops. I still remember a long wire story I edited back in the '80s about several kids who got killed in a Trans Am with T-tops. Their families finally were able to prove in court that the T-tops has basically destroyed the structural integrity of the car. Apparently, T-tops are cut out of the existing roof when the car gets to the end of the assembly line. Hence, like many convertibles, the car actually isn't designed to have them. I'd just as soon have as much metal around me as possible.
I remember hearing the same thing. This is one reason why I would prefer not to have them. Plus, I don't think they would look right.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Gosh, if that is indeed true, that is a very poor design. I never realized they did that to TransAms.

They should at least be strengthened just like every convertible is strengthened to compensate for structural integrity.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.