Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

talked with a dealer today here

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default talked with a dealer today here

Well, I went and asked a dealer here about dates for the 2009 and what they were getting as far as 2008s.

Turns out this dealership has an allotment of 4 Challenger 2008s, and 2 were open.

So I asked (amongst some other questions about 2009s) what the options were, and what they were going for...

They were fully equipped (all options) - the msrp was $41985 - he was accepting $51985. And went on to say if it went unsold it was going up for auction on Ebay motors.

Now he did admit this was because of the "collector" value, etc - and that if I wanted to save money wait for the 2009s.

But, I have to say - that's one hell of a price jack up - and I hate to say it a little numbered plaque is not worth $10k.

So what do you guys think, a $10k markup over msrp?
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Default RE: talked with a dealer today here

I think it all depends on how deep your pockets are and how you feel about the price. I think it's fine that he's marking them up by $10K, because that's just supply and demand and the free market. Anything is worth what people are willing to pay for it. I like that you can get the car you want just by paying more. It seems to me like the fairest way to determine who gets a 2008 Challenger. Usually dealers can only get a small profit on each car (I guess), so this is a rare chance for Dodge dealers to make a nice profit and if I were them I would certainly take advantage of it too.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM

I'd tell the man to go and suck an egg..
Old 03-24-2008, 10:54 PM

They should offer a $10k rebate on the '08s, simply for having to be stuck with an automatic.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 AM

These dealers are jokers.

$10k extra for first on the block but stuck with automatic.

Stopped into a dealer the other day and he said $65k for an 08 - couldn't help but laugh.

I'll wait for manual. I'd be willing to pay an upcharge to get "everything I want" - Sublime, SRT8 6.4L, 600 hp, Manual trans, removable hardtop, MyGig, Perf tires, color keyed interior, a unique interior (like the prototype), a nice steering wheel, carbon fiber shaker hood, hood pins, MDS, VCT, ASAP, etc.

Eric
Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 AM

A lot of Ford dealers did the smaething with GT500s. As long as it was posted on the window. Manufactures acan only suggest what the cars should be priced at. If someone puts it on an auction, then so be it. It does suck, but not much can really be done about it. There are always people out there with more $$$$ than God and wil spend it that way.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 AM

If i didnt buy my challenger i would have put the money down on a new lexus is-f and that cars 61 grand. So i think im getting a deal. I have wanted this srt 8 car since i first saw the concept.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

In a free market, any commodity is worth exactly what any one individual will pay for it. If they get buyers at 51, 61, or 71, then the Challenger was worth that.

Am I Captain Obvious or General Lee Redundant?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 AM

A $10K markup is nothing. I know of one dealer who has a $25K markup and says it with a smile on his face.

ORIGINAL: LordFoul

Well, I went and asked a dealer here about dates for the 2009 and what they were getting as far as 2008s.

Turns out this dealership has an allotment of 4 Challenger 2008s, and 2 were open.

So I asked (amongst some other questions about 2009s) what the options were, and what they were going for...

They were fully equipped (all options) - the msrp was $41985 - he was accepting $51985. And went on to say if it went unsold it was going up for auction on Ebay motors.

Now he did admit this was because of the "collector" value, etc - and that if I wanted to save money wait for the 2009s.

But, I have to say - that's one hell of a price jack up - and I hate to say it a little numbered plaque is not worth $10k.

So what do you guys think, a $10k markup over msrp?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

A $10K markup is nothing. I know of one dealer who has a $25K markup and says it with a smile on his face.
Well come on now... that's a little redundant - a dealer is ALWAYS going to have a smile on his face! It's just going to be a bit wider if he gets someone to pay it.

I'm sure there will be people that want to pay $10k or $25k or whatever to be first on the block with a special numbered plaque, that's fine. I don't think too much naked greed by the dealerships during this first round will be doing them a favor for the 2009s. I can just as easily order my Challenger from a dealership that wasn't quite so naked about bending his customers over and to make a buck

Quick Reply: talked with a dealer today here