Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Tranny & bunch of other things

Old 10-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny & bunch of other things

sorry maybe for some duplicate n00b questions but ...

any1 knows, will there be only 6 MT ? or will there be "triptronic" (steering wheel) shifting available too?

have any1 came across any prototype test results/opinions on a track behaviour? (no 1/4 mile but regular circuit where you have to actually turn the steering wheel... )

what engine & brakes options?

weight... really that much as 4100 lb/1850 kg? does it come with bag of sand in trunk or something?

thanks again

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Tranny & bunch of other things

Right now we can only speculate as we really haven't been given any Gospel truth about what it will offer. The only thing that appears to be a guarantee at this point due to the press releases is it will offer the 6.1L with the Mercedes-based W5A580 5-speed automatic transmission with Autostick (sometimes allows you to choose which specific gear ratio you would like to be in, but does have an override to your decision). This is controlled not by paddles on the sterring wheel, but by the floor mounted shifter by tapping it to the right for an up shift and to the left for a now shift. The MB system is really strange from the other ones that the Drive position plays as both roles instead of a separate place on the shifter to make help the transmission understand that you want close to full control instead of a suggestion.

This article explains it decently, though this one covers more Chrysler's system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostick

Rumors state that it might have a 6-speed manual either the good, old T-56 Tremec or potentially the TR-6060 Tremec which is an upgraded version of the T-56.

I don't know about the track capabilities. The only engine we pretty much know for sure at this point is the 6.1L as that has pretty much been confirmed in the press releases. I really don't know for sure about the brakes as I have never really paid attention to that. The weight I think routes from the basis of this platform was based off of a MB platform and built to be very safe which contributes to the weight.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/860CA90B422D461AB7F02CDB344530A2.jpg[/IMG]

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-16-2007, 04:50 PM

thanks man!

why the heck did they choose MB semi-automatic (?) transmission??? I thought it was a Chrysler connected to MB at some point? Plus I really dont like anything thats got to do with Benz

so lets pray 6 MT option will be there!

and if the engine is 6,1 hemi will it be the same from Charger??? Any info on fuel tank capacity koz 60 liters for SRT really sucks, one has to stop almost every 170 miles to refill!

The weight is really an issue here... so 6.1 will be able to pull out like what?? 430HP??? Power to weight ratio hurts my heart!

How about a trunk and rear seats?? What I loved about Stang was relatively large trunk and one adult could fit in back seat ....

thx again!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: AirborneCZ

thanks man!

why the heck did they choose MB semi-automatic (?) transmission??? I thought it was a Chrysler connected to MB at some point? Plus I really dont like anything thats got to do with Benz

and if the engine is 6,1 hemi will it be the same from Charger??? Any info on fuel tank capacity koz 60 liters for SRT really sucks, one has to stop almost every 170 miles to refill!

The weight is really an issue here... so 6.1 will be able to pull out like what?? 430HP??? Power to weight ratio hurts my heart!

How about a trunk and rear seats?? What I loved about Stang was relatively large trunk and one adult could fit in back seat ....

thx again!

Honestly I ask myself that question and the answer keeps coming back that I think that Daimler wanted higher economies of scale and get paid royalties for having Chrysler use their technology. It might also have to do with that Chrysler's only five-speed auto might not have fit in the LX cars and they didn't want Chrysler to build something of their own since Chrysler might make something that would embarrass MB. There were a lot of things that Chrysler managed to do better than MB when they had the freedom to try that MB pulled the plug on it because it was done more efficiently and better than they did it (ex. the Chrysler ME-412 supercar).

Until recently Chrysler was part of the DaimlerChrysler marriage that happened back in 1998 where Bob Eaton sold out Chrysler for the most part. I don't know for sure about the fuel capacity on the Challenger, for the most part the 6.1L will be the same engine, only possibly it might have a cold air intake or something because the photo of the concept Challenger reveals a K&N airfilter exposed at the front of the hood where in the Charger and other LX cars do not have that air filter. The engine output is RATED at 425hp; however, either Car and Driver or Motor Trend did a test on I think it was the Magnum SRT-8 and they found that it produced close to 467hp on the dyno.

I don't think we have any numbers yet on the back seat or the trunk as that has not been released yet up to my knowledge. I'm sure they will offer a manual based on all the rumors I have heard.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-17-2007, 03:51 AM

467hp on the dyno
bloody hell!!! 467 rwhp that must have been like 600 hp!?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 AM

so ...
SRT 6.1:+ 425
5.7 Hemi: ?
3.5 V6: ?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 AM

5.7 Hemi is rated at 340 horse at 5,400 RPM. Good info about it and the 6.1 is available at hemi.com.

3.5 V-6's horsepower rating varies from car to car and year to year. It's generally in the 230-250 range.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would really like to see a functional ram-air system be adopted from the concept car. However, from what I have read, this will not happen. The concept car has a few things that will not make it to the production version such as the K & N ram-air system and the carbon fiber body. (Cost-savings).

The hood scoop will probably be the same as the one on the Charger SRT. It will only provide cooling air for the engine and the manifolds and will not have butterfly valves.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Thr 6 MT will debut in the 2009 model year, 100% for certain. Available in both R/T and SRT models.

Any info on fuel tank capacity koz 60 liters for SRT really sucks, one has to stop almost every 170 miles to refill!
Challenger SRT will have a 19-gallon tank (about 72 liters).

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey
5.7 Hemi is rated at 340 horse at 5,400 RPM. Good info about it and the 6.1 is available at hemi.com.
The Challenger R/T will not have the current 5.7 Hemi, it gets the all-new 5.7 with Variable Cam Timing, estimated around 375 hp.