Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   What is the expected price for the Challenger? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/what-expected-price-challenger-1441/)

lear4406 11-06-2007 01:08 PM

RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

My son has a Go-Man-Go Dodge Charger Daytona with the 5.7. And his MDS allows his Charger to get 18 mpg mixed and 22 highway. I don't know if the 6.1 will get MDS anytime soon if ever. But the mileage from the 5.7 350 HP engine is not bad at all for the power. So much so that Chevy is coming out with their own MDS. Says something about the leaders and the followers. On the highway when his Charger is cruising you can't tell its running on 4 cylinders but... hit the gas and with the flowmasters you can hear the cylinders kick in.:D I think the 6.1 gets about 14 and 18 respectivley. But don't take it as gospel.

JJMPB 11-07-2007 03:23 AM

the dodge magnum has been canceld also the pt cruiser crossfire and pacifica

Jake

DSkippy 11-07-2007 09:12 AM

Not to give GM anything, Lear4406, but they kind of beat us to the punch with the DeVille in the early 80's the old 4-6-8. Didn't have the computing power necessary I guess (it fizzled).

18 and 22 not bad. I guess you're right.

I'm surprised no one has toyed with the idea of some dynamic rear diff idea a set of pinions on a shaft that allow you to have

1. A really highly geared gas saver for normal day to day
or
2. A low geared stump puller.

Have an extra gear to reverse direction at the front of the diff interface with and a straight gear at the back of the diff then some sort of slide on the shaft to engage and disengage the teeth accordingly (to either run off the front or the back depending on purpose)....

lear4406 11-07-2007 11:26 AM

I stand corrected and I do remember those. I will resubmit " successful MDS":D

Axel 11-07-2007 12:29 PM

Sliding shafts and differential. That sounds really scary to me. I can see that ending up like the exploding Pinto until they got that down to a perfection. Don't see the idea as impossible if they could put some kind of transmission between the two, but I bet all of this would add some nice weight to the chassis and would end up counteracting any MPG that would be saved. Of course with today's technology and lighter material, who knows what they could do.

DSkippy 11-07-2007 12:36 PM

Well a few in this forum have mentioned the overhaul of the Hemi and the variable valve timing. That coupled with the MDS would be an interesting fuel saving/performance enhancing combo. I know Honda had a ton o' success w/ their VTec, followed by all the others who rolled their versions. Still blows me away how they get that to work, interesting reading. But have the MDS and vvt that'll be interesting to see.

Cuda340 11-09-2007 02:16 PM

The other day, I stopped by a local Dodge dealer to check out his 2008 SRT Chargers. They were loaded with Options I, II & III. This ran the cost up to $45,000 MSRP (with gas guzzler tax)!

Did you ever think that some day a Dodge would sell for this kind of money?

I am afraid that the SRT Challengers will come loaded like the Chargers and we will be forced to pay BIG bucks and buy a bunch of overpriced options that we really don't want!! [:@]

BootCamp 11-09-2007 04:55 PM

My wife's '06 Charger R/T with MDS has just a tick over 15,000 miles on it.
Over five trips between Upstate NY and Va (and back - 975 miles R T), and one between Niagara Falls and back (750 miles R T) we've "averaged" 25.4 mpg "highway".
Obviously, she doesn't drive very far to work (10 miles/day R T), and averages 16.1 mpg "around town".
The 5.7L highway mileage is actually better than my '01 PT Cruiser (which just rolled 50,000 miles a few weeks back) by 3 mpg.
These figures, BTW, are via the onboard system (which I believe runs off of the transmission). We have the tire pressures up to the max recommended pressure, so I believe the "actual mpg" (if I were to calculate it manually) would be even higher (by about 3 - 5%).

I'm actually thinking of getting the Challenger with the 5.7L HEMI instead of the SRT8 6.1L HEMI partly because of the MDS, and partly because I'd like to get a "Predator" and flash both of the Dodge's with one chip (instead of buying two for two engines / programs).
I was also thinking about going with a Supercharger system on the Challenger/5.7L and having something unique. For the $6K cost of the supercharger, I'd be saving much more than that on the difference between the cost of the trim levels and eliminating the "gas guzzler tax", and still end up having more HP. I'm sure the supercharger would negate any benefit the MDS could bring, but I love the sound of a "pressure cooker" whistling under the hood.
;)

BTW:....JJMPB...
The PT Cruiser isn't scheduled for the production axe until m y 2009 - due in large part to "re-design limitations" (according to rhumors I've heard / read). The PT Cruiser "convertible" IS scheduled to end production this year due to poor sales figures.

Cuda340 11-11-2007 06:00 AM

Boot Camp,

You're probably right about getting the same, or better, 1/4 performance at a cheaper price by moding the 5.7.

I, for one, will still be buying an SRT for both the prestige and the handling/braking package that comes with the acceleration. [sm=smiley20.gif]

DSkippy 11-12-2007 05:20 AM

SRT for me too. In addition to everything on the car, I'm stoked about the SRT Track Day! That sounds like a really cool program and hopefully the new Chrysler keeps this going strong.

Friends own LandRovers, and they rave about the customer appreciation days, sounds kind of cool to have special events provided toward enthusiasts of one's product.

Over 25 on the highway...that's impressive.