Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What is the expected price for the Challenger?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the expected price for the Challenger?

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

I am planning on buying an SRT Challenger in 2009, as are a lot of us.

However, I was wondering if anyone else who is planning on buying an SRT could be swayed into buying an R/T? These would be the reasons:

*The horsepower of the 5.7 may be increased to 380 hp.
*The 5.7 with MDS does not have the $2,100 gas guzzler tax.
*The R/Ts MSRP is about $7,000 less.
*The R/T is a more practical every day car and gets better gas mileage.
*The R/T has a lifetime warranty.
*Possibly less insurance.
*Less costly maintenance.

*Also, the R/T Charger currently has a $3,000 factory rebate (we will probably not see this on the Challenger, however).
There are other reasons why people will still buy the SRTs. For one reason, people might buy the SRTs because it would become more of a collector's model. It's an investment of sorts. The R/Ts will probably not be worth nearly as much 30 yrs or more down the road. Considering that God willing I should still be on this planet due to my age 30 yrs from now, I would prefer to have the one that is worth more in the long run.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-29-2007, 12:58 PM

For me, I'm after the biggest, baddest model available. Anything else is just "uncivilized"..
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

so what is the average combined gas milage of the 6.1 liter
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
There are other reasons why people will still buy the SRTs. For one reason, people might buy the SRTs because it would become more of a collector's model. It's an investment of sorts. The R/Ts will probably not be worth nearly as much 30 yrs or more down the road. Considering that God willing I should still be on this planet due to my age 30 yrs from now, I would prefer to have the one that is worth more in the long run.
Of course, if you intend to keep the car for 30 years, the lifetime powertrain warranty you get with the R/T is even more valuable.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

so what is the average combined gas milage of the 6.1 liter
According to Chrysler's web site, the 6.1 gets 13mpg city, 18mpg highway. Of course there was a * next to that! The combined would be about 15-16 mpg*.

*My guesstimate
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM

so the gas guzzler tax on the 2008 SRT8 challenger is gonna be over 2 grand
Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 PM

So starting at 38K you add the 2.3K for the Gas Tax, and then you have to add all the options you want. Hmmmm, seems to me the "plated" Challenger will come in at about the same price as the SRT8 Charger, roughly 44K out the door. Oh, ya, then there is that little matter of the gouge and screw mark-up, let's see, add about 5-7K for that, eyup, that puts the first releases just about where we all thought they would be, 52K.

A fool and his money - screw waiting 30 years to get that back - I am into an '09 after all you Bankers and Lawyers buys yours.

73Cuda340 \\\\\\\\ 09Challenger6.1 (trying it on for size 8^) )
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: pestep

Of course, if you intend to keep the car for 30 years, the lifetime powertrain warranty you get with the R/T is even more valuable.
First of all, welcome to the site pestep. Not necessarily, the thing you have to remember is that the lifetime powertrain warrantee is limited to just the powertrain and would be very easy to void. Chances are you would have to have the dealer do all of the services instead of any DIY (do it yourself) which will be charged at a premium. I admit I'm not an expert at warrantees, but I'm sure most of the things you would have to repair the warrantee would not even cover (gaskets, sensors, and the such). It would probably just cover the engine itself if it was blown. Considering how I plan to take care of it, this will probably not be a very big issue.

Besides the value of the Challenger itself with a 6.1L as opposed to the 5.7L will probably be the value difference between a 426 Hemi powered Challenger as opposed to the 440. The 426 is still worth a whole lot more because it is more sought after due to the legendary reputation and it is more rare despite the fact that the 440 is really a more practical choice with ever so slightly less power. It will even itself out and then some.

Remember guys that the fuel economy might be different with the manual. Generally, manual versions get better fuel efficiency thanks to the fact that they are more efficient in the power transfer. It also could be improved depending on what gears are used in the Tremec. If the combined top gear ratio is taller in the manual version than the combined top gear ratio in the automatic, that will help remedy the problem. The short gearing that the LX car's 6.1L models feature deserves a lot of the blame for the lower fuel efficiency, as well as the inefficiency in that MB designed 5-speed auto.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-30-2007, 02:32 AM

also the fact that in 30 years gasoline powered cars wont be around or be allowed to be used on the streets since by then we will all be using flying deloreans with mr fusion
Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 AM

The combined city/highway EPA rating for the SRT Challenger w/auto will be 19 mpg. Hard to say what the manual will end up at, different gear ratios and all.

Quick Reply: What is the expected price for the Challenger?