Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

Chally SRT, 41,985, Ford 49,000. If you are not at the strip what is 0.3 seconds in the 1/4. More room, better looks, better ride and handling, and faster top speed. If you must have the speed add a few dollars to the Chally and beat the pants off the Ford for the same money. Heck you have 7K to spend. I think and even better buy and play car will be the R/T with the updated 5.7 and 6 speed. This thing has low cost rocket written all over it.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM

First of all I thought the new mustang platform was updated since 05'.
Secondly The Cobra's And Gt500's look way better with the body work done to them. They definatly stand out among other mustangs... don't kid yourself.
And finally just buy a blower and then you can take on a Viper.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM

Well guys...I own both cars..I posted pics of them together. The GT500 is a rocket,like a thrill ride everytime I get in it..I can tell you this,It won't dissapoint you in the performance dept.. Styling...I love the front of the car..Back it's not as good.. The Challenger..I think the styling is tops,a great take on a classic style. smooth looks with out gimmicks. Performance: So so. doesn't feel like 425hp..more like 350hp. no great rush of power. don't get me wrong,I like this car,but more power is needed to compete with the GT500...I think the car will be faster and feel faster with the 6 spd.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM

what price did you pay for each? 500gt $70k, challenger $40k ?

for about $20k more we can make the challenger feel like a rocket.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM

where is everyone getting 49gs for a gt 500. my local dealers(both of them) had one in each and they both stickered at 42 and 43. and that is what they sold for. so dollar for dollar gt >challenger in the performance depo. but i believe that the challenger is the better buy b/c it just seems more of a car i would not be afraid to use. i agree the mustang is kinda plane and needs to be updated. imo challenger in everything except performance. i would buy the chally over the gt 500 everyday. unless you want "stock" performance
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM

I agree with all the posts except one thing... the price of the challenger. Alot of people paid over Msrp for the challenger,including me + 5k. With TT&L it is going to cost me 50k.I checked around every Dodge dealership I could find and in my area(300 miles)and I got a good deal. Now I got into the challenger late.. the end of May, so that may have made a difference. I checked into the gt 500 and a vette last year just for the thrill of going fast and for me the challenger just was better looking with the vette coming in a close second. SO I am very glad I waited. IMO the viper is still the cream of the crop but I could not spend that kind of $$$ on a car. So I say, it is your $$ spend it how you want to. Jim
Old 06-25-2008, 09:12 PM

follow up on the previous post:

on the gt500 I checked on last year. I asked both of the ford dealerships in my city and they both said +10k. Also this is the first car that I will own in almost thirty years so it had to be special. I have been a truck guy all my adult life cause if times got bad for me you can always make $$ with a truck. Jim
PS my challenger.. you are one good looking lady..even without the cars.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 PM

OK now how about some pics of your wife with the cars.
ORIGINAL: my challenger

Well guys...I own both cars..I posted pics of them together. The GT500 is a rocket,like a thrill ride everytime I get in it..I can tell you this,It won't dissapoint you in the performance dept.. Styling...I love the front of the car..Back it's not as good.. The Challenger..I think the styling is tops,a great take on a classic style. smooth looks with out gimmicks. Performance: So so. doesn't feel like 425hp..more like 350hp. no great rush of power. don't get me wrong,I like this car,but more power is needed to compete with the GT500...I think the car will be faster and feel faster with the 6 spd.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN

OK now how about some pics of your wife with the cars.
Finally! SOMEONE gets to the REAL issue here!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the cars are similar in many ways and both are pony cars. But with the blower on the snake the performance will be enhanced. Thats just the nature of the beast. But there are other factors to consider if this car is to be driven on the street any legnth of time. All comparisons should be stock for stock, after mods all bets are off. With the introduction of the 6-speed thimgs should get closer in the performance area. I choose the Challenger because I bleed hemi orange and have been waiting over 30 years for Dodge to come back to it. Now when I get my 2009 SRT-8 Challenger it will look stock from the outside but packing some real heat under the hood... just like my 70 So I'm not concerned that a Shelby GT500 has the braging rights and a false sense of superiority. Lets settle it at the stop light... I mean drag lights

Quick Reply: What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500