Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

Felt like weighing in on this one. I have an 08 Chally on order. I truly love the GT500 front view. That car just looks hot and it is. But... The Chally has a level of design that really hits that retro design spot. I have a friend who races the tuner cars. He has a Mitsubishi EVO that has better acceleration specs that the Chally. Hmm. I can not get the least bit excited about a tiny little rice grinder that looks like a roller skate with a spoiler. I do feel the rush when I see the Chally and the GT 500. There is nothing like American Muscle. The total sensory experience makes tuners seem like a slot car. It makes me proud to see the most outstanding, most noticable cars on the road American made.[sm=americanasmiley.gif] They are both great cars and the comparison is like comparing two fine wines. Both great but someone always has a personal preference.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:49 AM

I have to chime in too:

1) I would respectfully disagree with your opinion on this statement...I still get plenty of gawkers in my lowly `05 GT
2) The chasis was completely re-designed for the `05-Present Mustangs (see S-197 platform). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth-g...n_Ford_Mustang
3) That "tiny engine" once again found its way onto Ward's Auto's 10 best engines. http://wardsauto.com/reports/2008/tenbest/ Interestingly, I didn't see one example of a Slopar motor to be found anywhere on the list...as usual. A little advanced research prior to your next most would be appreciated...

ORIGINAL: GPMAN

I have to chime in.
1. The Mustang style is stale
2. The Mustang still has the same chassis as Fords did in 1985
3. The Mustang has a tiny engine with a blower not ideal.

I don't ever in my 48 years recall a car having a WOW factor like the Challenger. The car is just plain bad to the bone and will ride like a nice sedan which the Shelby does not. The Shelby's remained 20,000.00 dollars over sticker for more than two years. If this car will do that I'll be thrilled because everything I buy from my airplane to race cars to sports cars go down down down.
My first car was a 1970 Grand Prix and I loved the long hood. This car reminds me of that one
Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Actually, the 5.7 L Hemi was on Ward's 10 best engines list from 2003 to 2007. They have already announced 2008's best engines, granted the Hemi did not make it for the first time in 4 years but the announcement came before Chrysler updated the Hemi making it achieve better gas mileage and more power. But every time the Hemi did make the list, it was ranked higher than the 4.6L Ford motor.

So your statement, Albeeno, is just plain wrong when you say you didn't see one example of a "Slopar" motor on the list, as usual. It is actually unusual to NOT see the Hemi on Ward's 10 best engines.
Let me spell it out for you:

2003: Hemi ranked 3rd; the Ford 4.6L did not make the list.
2004: Hemi ranked 3rd; the Ford 4.6L did not make the list.
2005: Hemi ranked 4th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 5th
2006: Hemi ranked 4th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 5th
2007: Hemi ranked 5th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 6th

Do a little *simple* research before you claim to do advanced research.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM

With all of the debate I thought I would add to it. My wife has an 06 Mustang GT and I keep after her to move up to the GT500. She really doesnt like it at all. We had the opportunity to take one for a ride and she wasnt impressed. You could have talked me into it in a heartbeart however. I like the styling of the car. Back in the day I owned a GT350H and really liked that car. Now, however I would not take one over a Challenger, not in a million years. Having seen both cars up close (and driven the GT500 and soon my 09 Challenger) the styling, look, overall WOW factor goes straight to the Challenger. Yes the GT500 has 500 hp, big deal, a supercharger. Put a blower on the Challenger and really test the cars equally. Say its not fair having to add to the Challenger? Well they had to add a blower to the GT500 to get it to make that 500 hp. Only fair to play on an even field. I would certainly think that with this "fair" run..the snake will be working hard to play catch up. My opinion.

BTW, my challenger, too darn sweet in black and I am sure that the Silver would be off the hook, but IMHO a Hemi orange coating would make things way smoking hot!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:49 AM

oh god albeeno should we reference them to our countless post going back and forth on the subject of evening the playing field and such. i feel dejavu comin on. haha

ps. here in miami no one gawks at a gt....well becuase its miami. and i hate how down here people buy their v6 mustangs turn the exterior into a gt500 looking stang then wen i look at the rear there is 1 little muffler poking out giving away its v6 engine[&o]