Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What will Challenger concept lose in production?

Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What will Challenger concept lose in production?

ORIGINAL: bored out

I was looking at the dash and I can't imagine that telemetry thing being part of the production model. That is not necessary, quatermile times and speed. It is cool but even the average Challenger driver would not need it. You can only quarter mile on a track and if your doing it on the street then your endangering you and others. When your at the track they give you a print out of that info.

I think the largest gauge should be the tach anyway.

Yes, I think everbody is in agreement that the telemetry system would go it would be cool to have it as an aftermarket accessories.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bored out

Charger Production

Charger Concept

They don't look the same to me...
That is very scary and let us hope this doesn't happen to the Challenger. We certainly don't want to drool then stool.....LOL!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

you cant use the 99 charger concept as a basis for comparison. that was a complete concept, and there was never any REAL intention of production. when the designers of the challenger concept were given their instructions, one of them was to "make it as close to production as possible", much like the viper concept.

also, keep in mind that the mustang that was shown first (the silver one) is very similar to what the production GT500 looks like...

as for those awful gawdy wheels, if someone wants "dubs", which have awful rotational mass and kill the acceleration of the car, they should go buy an escalade or some other vehicle that isnt meant to go slow. there is a reason that few (if any) companies make drag radials in the huge sizes...because performance cars have rims that are designed to reduce rotational mass...like a nice 17 inch DragLite.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 AM

I hope it loses the grille and comes with an original honeycomb only style, I like the deep/open look! I also hope they break up the solid tail light!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:34 PM

I think the designers of the Challenger concept car did an outstanding job! It LOOKS like a 1970's Challenger - inside and out. They got the modern look without sacrificing the muscle car roots it originated from.

Judging from what I've read and heard (no, I don't know anyone of any importance in the auto industry or in Detroit), I'm guessing the Challenger will come with a 6.1L 6-speed manual with CatBack or FlowMaster exhaust in the top level trim model (maybe something named the "SuperBee" since the "Daytona" marque went on the Charger?). The R/T badge is prominantly displayed on the concept car which sports the 6.1L 6-speed manny tranny...but I don't think that means too much right now. While I personally think the "SRT" level has been beat to death with other models in the past, it wouldn't surprise me to see it on the Challenger. I hope they fabricate a low-profile spoiler for the top trim level, as well as a lower nose (one piece air dam) with integrated fog/driving lights.

I also agree that the 18" wheels that the Charger R/T wears will be plenty large to give good looks, good performance and proper wheel well clearance, with a possible option for 19's.

I think they'll keep the front end appearance pretty close to the concept car (with working hood flaps) since it's very similar to the original Challenger, and I HOPE they put more original styled taillamps on it instead of the 1986 Buick Somerset lightbar across the back (as they have on the concept car). The louvered tail lights from the old Challenger would be a nice touch!

I think DCX is targeting the Mustang/Camaro Baby-Boomer retro-segment of the market, and to do so effectively (and make it financially profitable), will have to offer a 6 cylinder in an "entry level model", as they do with the Charger and Magnum. With the substantial financial investment of bringing a new model through production, it makes good business sense to offer something for everyone, capture a bigger segment of the market, and regain a good part of the initial investment it took to get it into production while it's new and people are eager to get it. DCX knows the sales figures on the Mustang, and won't ignore how many of each trim level they've sold (the majority of which are 6 cylinder models).

I can't imagine much change for the interior. It's clean, simple, and all business. It should be easy to bring to production as it is. I think there may be some changes as to a brushed or machined aluminum dash plate, or the leather/cloth trim for each trim level. But I think the styling will basically look the same as in the concept.

Judging by the options available on the Charger & Magnum, I expect MOST of the items touted on the concept car (i.e. telemmetry) will be on the production models with availability varying by trim levels.

What I think will be MOST interesting is to see what colors they make it in, and what graphics come on the different trim levels. I can't guess which direction they'll go with that. It should be interesting, for sure!

The views and opinions expressed herein are soley those of the uneducated and uninformed author (whose rantings and ravings have been compared to those of people who are not entirely responsible for their own behavior or actions) and in no way reflect or represent those of anyone else.
Bear in mind that opinions are like backsides.....everyone has one and they ALL stink. :O)
Old 07-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

i dont think that they will use the "superbee" name..they already use it on a charger...
Old 07-03-2006, 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

you cant use the 99 charger concept as a basis for comparison. that was a complete concept, and there was never any REAL intention of production. when the designers of the challenger concept were given their instructions, one of them was to "make it as close to production as possible", much like the viper concept.

also, keep in mind that the mustang that was shown first (the silver one) is very similar to what the production GT500 looks like...
I agree bro, I believe the Challenger will look like the concept but I also think changes will be made. The concept is worth $500,000 and we are hoping production is under $35,000. Changes will be made, lets hope the look stays the same.

Your right the GT500 does look like the original mustang concept but it is also selling for over $50,000 right now.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

but MSRP is only 40k (hardtop)...the markup is for suckers, and people who 'have to have a first run'...i dont like dealing with "bugs", so im willing to wait for a challenger until the "20,000 over msrp crowd" has wasted their money.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:08 AM

You also take the chance of paying double or triple as has been the case of many very popular cars in the past! Remember, you can always trade for something else later!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM

I don't think you'll see a huge markup on the Challenger like what's happened on the Shelby Mustangs. The Shelby's are a limited number model and the demand is far outstripping the supply. As of now, the speculated production projections are WAY over the number of Shelby's that Ford is producing.
When the Mustang GTs first went back into production, there was a high demand, but by and large, Ford met it. They were in a serious sales slump and were more than happy to move cars off of the showroom floors.
A friend of mine ordered a new Mustang GT in February of '05. There were production delays on his order due to fuel pick-up issues, warping/twisting heads, and a clunking in the front end under tight, low speed steering (such as in parking lots). Ford got the problems addressed and got his GT to him only two weeks past the projected date. Pretty good. He paid MSRP for the car....no premium over sticker.
Another freind works for a dealership in Virginia. He tried to get an '05 GT through his dealership (he even said he'd pass on the "Employee Pricing" discount).......but they had already gotten thier allotment of '05 GT's and he had to wait until fall for the arrival of the '06's. He got his employee discount on the '06 GT and got another Mustang (with a six-banger) in February for his wife. Again, there was no premium over sticker tacked on to the prices.
If DCX comes out with a limited run Challenger model, then you could see the bidding wars like those the Shelby Mustang has created. But I just can't see a regular production run model bringing more than sticker in any but the most unusual cases. If that DOES happen, I'll wait for mine until the sales boil goes down to a simmer. We'd only be getting into a bidding war with each other, and the price can only go as high as we're willing to pay.
As much as I'd like to have one NOW, I can wait until I'll be able to justify the cost of the purchase to myself.

Quick Reply: What will Challenger concept lose in production?