Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What would void the new Challenger Warranty?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would void the new Challenger Warranty?

I hear certain dealership are ok with certain modifications. What is the real truth? What performance modifications would void my future challenger's warranty? I would defenitely want to get and loud exhaust with high flow cats within the first year, but if it would void my warranty, hmm, idont know then
Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What would void the new Challenger Warranty?

You might not be aware of this:

Federal Warranty Laws

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 PM

sounds like if the aftermarket part doesnt cause a problem warranty is still valid
Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake, as in the filter part and up to the throttle body and cat back exhaust. These seem to be fine along with wheel and tire combos. Headers, aluminium, and chrome plated parts for the engine seem to be fine also. Just remember to install the full system if doing more than a cat back. When it comes to heads and cams I believe you are on your own. Super chargers and turbos.... oh yeah your really on your own. I read the Charger forums because they are very similar to how our Challengers will be. Some have tried engine upgrades with varied degrees of success. Seems the computer is a hard nut to crack and fuel mapping is a problem. But the after market is hard at work to open this up to us. I for one would just love a super charged Challenger. And if they break the code I will be one of the first independent (plain ol Joe) to have one.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 AM

see, i would just want to have that awsome rumble i see many of the old challengers having on youtube and wherever else they are found. other than that, im pretty sure the R/T will have more than enough power for me. A pretty loud 08 Challenger RT will be awesome with some 11 inch wide rears
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 AM

I work for a major manufacturer and our warranties work as it states in the statement as per above. Aftermarket parts are ok, however if they cause the failure of a covered component, the warranty on that part is void. We dont warrant aftermarket parts unless they are made by us and sold and installed at our dealer.

Just to be sure, be cautious. IF you modify your car, be prepared for some resistance on warranty claims despite the above policy. There are many grey areas and it often depends on the dealers opinion/diagnosis.

So basically, if you put a supercharger on your engine and it leans out and melts the internals, not covered.

If you put louder mufflers on your new Challenger and the alternator fails, covered.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Well I feel the same about this issue as I do about people who want to own or own a high performance car and complain about MPG or gas prices, if the price of gas is an issue for you, or if the possibility of mods killing your warranty is a concern, then buy an eco car or don't mod, simple right?