Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

No SRT lifetime Powertrain limited warranty

Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No SRT lifetime Powertrain limited warranty

Read the Dodge website advertising lifetime Limited Powertrain warranty

With a tag line:

"OUR LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE ICING. OUR VEHICLES ARE THE CAKE"

But you will note this is not on SRTs as well as others (diesels, Ram Chassis, etc.)

I understand the cost/risks they would encounter trying to cover SRTs, but would love to be covered when I get my SRT.

Does this mean a guy who beats the crap out of his RT (is covered) but the SRTs who may be babying their pride and joy wouldnt be?

I guess I need to read the fine print of the warranty.

What do you think?

Eric
Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 AM

Default RE: No SRT lifetime Powertrain limited warranty

Does this mean a guy who beats the crap out of his RT (is covered) but the SRTs who may be babying their pride and joy wouldnt be?

Exactly right. There were no SRT Challengers in 1970. Hence, how could they be covered? After all there WERE R/Ts.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Overpowered
I guess I need to read the fine print of the warranty.
Eric
I've never seen a warranty that covers misused, abused, modified, etc.. I think when it comes down to the fine print there will be a lot of it, and you will find a lot of exclusions for things of that nature.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Surely if you've owned Chrysler's, you've tried to get warranty work done right? It can be an adventure in itself. With that said, I still believe that difference is going to make more than a few folks, self included, reconsider the R/T over the SRT. Hence in a previous discussion, we were devising easily reversible mods to tweak power but change back for warranty work on an R/T.

I can kind of understand their reasoning, however. Here's my take on their decision to do this. They don't want people to baby their SRT's they want them to use them how they are supposed to be used. Most would agree, driving a car like a race car is a fairly abusive manner for a normal car. Enjoyable, but abusive all the same. If people buy these performance vehicles and don't get the experience out of them, they won't completely enjoy them. Conversely, if they do drive them the way they are intended, they really can't expect normal long miles to be racked up. This makes sense right?

Kind of like a Lamborghini, which remember Chrysler owned at one point mid 80's and also built cars with Maserati the T&C, but back to the lambo analogy, when one purchases a lambo, they know this thing is going to be in the shop, because you typically get performance or reliability, except oddly enough honda's you typically can get both. For the record, I'm not a honda enthusiast, but I do have to give it up to them on that account.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 AM
mac

Yes I pan to get free engines and trannnys for life on my R/T. The extra 40
+ horsepower in not worth the extra costs to me such as sticker price, gas guzzler tax, bad mpg, increased insurance costs and no life time warranty on the power plant. Other than that the SRT is a bargain.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM

If you bought a original Challenger with a Hemi you basically got the same deal, If I remember right it was a 1 year 15,000 mile warranty (the standard was 3 year 30,000) and if your car was found listed at a drag strip as a competitor your warranty was void..

Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Here's how I look at stuff like this: Its their rules and if I don't like it then I can go elsewhere. But I'm not!