Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

What's your take?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's your take?

Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM

An ever shrinking global economy! Lots of cheap products (and hopefully good quality)! Now if we can only put college educations on the backs of Chinese workers!

Maybe they could have used a non-union state in the south to build the Challenger.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:13 AM

Interesting points, although having it built in North america at all looks pretty good to me. As an American, you could go get that assembly line job in Canada if you really wanted it. Relocating to China to get a job is a lot less realistic. The problem of job migration overseas is real, but as long as American consumers are motivated first by price, production will go wherever it is cheapest.

I'm not sold on E85 as a solution to oil dependence, because we just can't grow enough corn to replace it. It is also currently a net loss of energy to produce a gallon of Ethanol (see link here: http://healthandenergy.com/ethanol.htm)

E85, with its lower energy-density, would give even worse gas mileage than what the SRT will already have, although it typically has a higher octane, so maybe you could tune in some extra compression for more HP
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Thor77

I'm not sold on E85 as a solution to oil dependence, because we just can't grow enough corn to replace it. It is also currently a net loss of energy to produce a gallon of Ethanol
Another problem with using food resources (ie. corn, etc.) is farmers will sell to the highest bidder causing a spike in the cost of those food products. The government has actually been subsidizing corn for fuel usage recently and there has been a sizable increase in things like pet food, bird food etc. as a result. In a larger scale this will likely create an atmosphere of high inflation in basic foods.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 PM

i say the hemi is built in mexico mr.fusion anyone
Old 02-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

If so, I hope they are buying a lot of them. That was the empty promise of NAFTA. For the record I was indoctrinated in business school on the promise of this as it related to multi-nationals and the emerging global economies. Wow, was I wrong, just a sucking woosh sound as the jobs "Americans were willing to do" (I REALLY can't stand that) went to Mexico first on their way to China. If they are being produced in Mexico, I guess the one good side effect would be more meaningful jobs on that side of the border mean less lost on this side to "undocumented" (sounds so much better than the truth) workers up here....

Yikes...just remembered, I'm on an Automotive forum...sorry for the slightly non-sequetered response.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 AM

So long as it's a high HP combustion engine, I don't care what type of fuel it uses...the cleaner the emissions, the better (of course). And it would sure be nice not to have to depend on the emotional fanatical middle-east!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

True that brother...hydrogen on demand!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Realist

Thanks for the update Justinec101,it is a global world...India and China's increased wealth (due to jobs we let go to them) now have more money for cars and gas....bingo!! oil hit $100 a barrel. Thank's also for the heads up on the fact that CEO's make profits..that trickled into my mind as I loaded a $100,000 painting in the cargo hold of a Gulfstream G-IV that I used to fly (used to meaning that the jet has been relocated to Montreal and I lost my job). CEO's are going to make the money no matter what,you need to consider the economic food chain that effects you. I do care about American employees,that's why I own a flex-Fuel Ford Taurus (built near Atlanta)...unfortunately not enough people cared because that plant is history. Where are people going to come up with a $41,000 car if we lose our manufacturing jobs? You can't sustain a country on Pizza Huts and Tanning Salons...
So we should boycott the Challenger? This isnt exactly a "green" forum ya know.

PS There are plenty of Gulfstream jobs (or pilot jobs in general) here in America. Give NetJets a call!

Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hear, hear....with some caveats.

If realist is saying we should start drilling domestically and get rid of nimby and banana, then rock out. America should produce and exploit any natural resources it can!

If Realist is saying don't buy a gasoline powered vehicle assembled in Canadia (sic; I love spelling that wrong and pronouncing it as spelled) because it "ain't Amurican", realist needs to understand some things. Realist, please see my post in Off Topic about a manufacturing plant in Michigan titled "New Keihin factory set to open this month", this, per my own admission is a slight contradiction to my previous post railing against (and validly) what NAFTA did. But remember if a plant employing Americans is shipping parts to another plant assembling parts made by Americans, then where's the problem?

I agree we need to produce more auto's ourselves. We need to get organized labor to focus more on the needs of the workers in conjunction with Executive Management being paid more reasonably (some of the lures are ridiculous).

As for that Ford, that one happens to be built in Atlanta, should I clarify ASSEMBLED in Atlanta. In the early 90's I got to read about a case study in Bus Mgmt, they were speaking of EPA regs and how all flag ship cars of domestically produced vehicles had to attain a min mpg. GM and Chrysler tried engineering to address the issue (and I believe ended up paying fines for every mpg under the threshold they didn't make it), FORD on the other hand took the LTD and defined it as an import. While it was assembled in America it was comprised of over 60% imported materials and components meaning that it was NOT A DOMESTICALLY produced car by Ford's own admission and they got to profit from this tactic. Gots to give it up for Blue oval on this maneuver but it points out flaws in your logic and contradicts, again, one of my earlier rants to a degree.

Quick Reply: What's your take?