Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...
View Poll Results: A poll
V6 large Volume
45.45%
V8 (RT) less Volume more Margin
48.48%
V8 SRT Much less Volume Much More Margin
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Where will the Sweet Spot Be?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where will the Sweet Spot Be?

>>why would you buy a v6 stang/challenger/camaro????

Yeah really. I won't take anything less than v8 6.1L.
You only live once.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 AM

im maybe cause when gas goes over 4 dollars a gallon people wont be able to afford to drive a V8
Old 03-14-2008, 05:45 AM

I agree guys. Don't get me wrong if it was not for the v6 no stang would be alive today. Wish I can say that about the camaro and challenger but that will change soon.

But I guess i'm with those guys that say "If its not a v8, I don't want it." Money was an issue, wait till next year model. If gas is in issue but a beater too tool around in (which is what I plan on doing). If all else fails and I can't have a v8, i'll just get something else to drive. Just can't do it.

My last v6 mustang was a 1975 Mustang II. I know guys, stop laughing!! I was one of those proud owners [:-]. But I was 16 years old and had to have a mustang!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I'd buy a 6 if that's what I could afford. It's a good looking car with a reasonably performing 6 in it. Again, I think it'll be fun when people start tuning their 6's and come upon unsuspecting stock 8's and leave'em. Love the sleeper.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodge better crank up its advertising machine if it intends to sell a lot of V6 Challengers. Most of us on this site will be buying R/Ts or SRTs. The general public that will be buying the V6s doesn't even know that the Challenger exists!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Middle line, to me the middle line would be the R/T, since obviously it's in the middle. Serious though, the R/T isn't overkill, it is middle of the line priced, if not priced to high that is, and the gas should be decent with the new Hemi coming out.

I don't mind V6 at all, just don't like them in muscle cars. It works just great in the Avenger, though mpg really blows and I can see why no one is buying it, but for a car this size, it just doesn't seem practicle. I almost wonder how much money you really are saving by trying to get this beast moving under such little power. Keep in mind that I don't think about people at lower elevations, this car may be perfect for them, I think about my elevation. When you are well above sea level and increase depending on where you travel to, that V6 and that weight of that car will suddenly seem like it's a 3 cylinder Geo Metro with 55 hp towing a trailer behind it.

I'm definitely not one who discourages people to buy the V6, I just personally don't see a point in it. I understand that people want the car for the looks, more power to them, but to me I just couldn't see buying it, and that may just be the case depending on the price.

My wife just paid more for her Avenger R/T then I did for my GT, but that's because we rolled the old Avenger into it, naugty us. This is the most powerful car she has had, kind of sad, but she's always had small four cylinder cars, and now she's looking to get a ticket in it. She loves it, but doesn't know the power and speeds often, but she loves it rather then getting run over trying to get up and go when a car is coming at her while she's turning. This would definitely be a car that I wouldn't mind having a six cylinder in it, just please improve the gas mileage. I saw the Jeep Wranger the other day and about choked. I can't believe it gets that bad of gas mileage.

Now as for the six in the Stang, I just have a hard time with that. The Avenger has more hp then the Stang and people complain that it's not enough because it's less then the competition, but more then a Mustang. Serious people? How much is enough? 450 hp in a 4 cylinder? We aren't far, the Caliber SRT-4 is at close to 300, though that's super charged so that doesn't totally count. When we get there by N/A, then I will get a little worried, and happy at the same time. Worried about the kids with all this power in cheap cars, happy to have it for myself.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM

There's more to it than just the initial price and the gas. Insurance goes up with a V8 as well. I can't afford to have 2 cars, a beater and a challenger. I don't know why I'd want 2 cars. Or why if I had a challenger I'd only want to drive it on weekends. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The R/T is only the middle line in comparision to the other challengers. There is an $8000 difference between a V6 and an R/T. Plus the difference in gas, and the difference in insurance. I'm not comparing this car to the other challengers or other muscle cars, I'm comparing it to other cars in my price range (which is actually under 20k and I'm already pushing it to afford the challenger in any model). Nothing comes even close to the challenger in the looks department to me. It's hands down the best looking car I've ever seen, so could I possibly be happy driving a boring 4 door with a V6 when I could have the challenger with one? I guess I just see it as, if the biggest engine I can afford is a V6, would I rather have it in an avenger or a challenger?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

What do I think will be the sweet spot for Chrysler's profits? The R/T will most likely be that because the V6 is priced to low ball people into keeping it into consideration and not so much for profits, while the R/T will have considerable volume and features many luxuries to justify jacking the price into the LOW $30s (I don't expect $35K unless some major inflation happens). Which model will sell the most? Most likely the V6. I know many people on here have whined about them offering a V6 because they somehow think that it hurts the image, but as 1 Bad Mirada said, if it was not for the V6 models you wouldn't have any of them.

Although I will agree that the powered 3.8L V6 Mustang was weak, I must disagree about the 4.0L version. It is within .1 second on the 0-60 run with the old 5.0L and first 2 valve 4.6L Mustang GTs from the mid 90s. It is noteworthy. The 3.5L will do fine for the first few years, they just could use something better than the 42RLE or the other option they would use the 5WA580 automatics. I think it is almost a cruel joke to have never offered this engine with a manual to let us see what it is truly capable of doing. I hope the Phoenix engine is at least half as good as what the 3.5L family has been in each category.

Axel, the reason why the Avenger gets complaints is because you have to compare it within its class. If you can get more power for your money when the class is EXACTLY the same, and you know that the company has the capability to up it when they have a 250hp version in another car and SEMA models tease us with using a larger engine that would blow away the competition, we want them to put their best foot forward and stop giving us a second tier effort on an engine that hasn't been updated in 9 years and counting. Also the SRT-4 is turbocharged and not supercharged.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 AM

I believe the R/T will eventually be the big seller(not at first). It will have good preformance numbers and tollerable fuel economy. Due to the fuel prices hyp. the V6 will sell big first.

And, if the V8 is offered with MDS, that will shift the ballance even greater to the V8 from the V6.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Gas is definitely a big one, but I don't think that the MDS will really match the economy of a V6. Maybe for a short while, but once they bring that Phoenix engine out, I'm sure it won't any longer. Even then, I think as mentioned above, people buy a car because of the overall cost, not just due to gas. If one car is $30,000 and another car is $25,000, that makes a difference in monthly payments if people can't afford to pay the whole thing. Definitely understandable. That may be my situation, if the car is $30,000 for the R/T, I just may not get it at all.

Yes, this is true when it comes to comparing it to something in the same class, but I also look at the cost, which seems to be a big thing here lately. Yes, I can get more power out of a Camry, but what one is going to cost me more with the feature I want? Overall, however, I think it all comes down to what a person wants regardless of cost. More people want more power, they don't want looks, don't want this option, don't want that. Even if the Avenger had better performance, I almost wonder if it would really make that much of a difference to people, or if it's just personal preference? Hopefully we'll be able to figure this one out of Chrysler ever decides to kick things into the competition area rather then just lag behind.

Yes, you are right, it is a turbo not a super. My fault.

Quick Reply: Where will the Sweet Spot Be?