Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Who's waiting for the manual?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who's waiting for the manual?

You will ***not*** see a 6.4/392 in a Challenger next year... everyone will have to "get by" with the 6.1 for awhile...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 AM

so you saying the 6.4 wont be around until 2010 model
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Jeremiah, never has prose sounded so poetic!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

That is the best compliment I have received all day.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 AM

5.7L/manual transmission/ordered to my liking from the factory and with my employee discount. I will wait until then. I just hope that 5.7L has enough power up here. I remember having the conversation a little while back about the Avenger/Sebring not having enough in the 2.4L and the V6, but I forgot to mention that I have added altitude that makes such a huge difference.

My wife and I were down in Florida for her neck surgery and rented a sebring there with the 2.4L, same engine in my wife's Avenger, and I have to say that altitude definitley makes a difference. There is definitely more power down there in FL and the car moves much easier, however it is still under powered.

Many people are talking about these small cars and the environment and such and I see us heading back to the 80s and 90s with the speedometers reading only 80 and the power at 140 for a V8. Definitely has me concerned because of the fact that when you live up here and you head into the mountains, good luck not rolling backwards. Sucks that you can't visit the mountains because you don't have enough power. Try and do it in a Dodge Ram back in the day that had 230 hp. Amazing how things have changed with technology. Never thought we would see these horsepower ratings again with the government restrictions. Now let's hope we don't take a step backwards.

As for the manual on the concept, I have a theory on that. Maybe it was one they just threw on from another car, or modified from a truck transmission? I say this because even though this had the 6.1L in it, they had to be really careful with it because it wasn't a complete car correct? You had to turn very carefully, couldn't go to fast, careful on the acceleration. So on that thought, they just had to throw something in it that worked. Maybe I'm wrong, but throwing ideas out there.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 AM

As for rollovers and safety, it's actually surprising.

Absence of roof is inherent disadvantage. High-speed crashes are violent events, and the roof of a hardtop helps to keep people's heads and arms from flailing outside the vehicle. Roofs also provide protection if a vehicle rolls over. Data from real-world crashes indicate that the overall risk of death isn't higher in a convertible, but this doesn't mean there aren't any safety disadvantages.

As for a regular crash however.

Restraints/dummy kinematics: Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. The dummy's head hit the A-pillar, which bent downward and inward during the crash. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks of convertibles. Without a permanent roof structure to support the A-Pillar, they often tend to move straight in at the heads of occupants

This is a little bit backwards from what I thought. I figured that flipping would cause more injury then a regular crash, but the above says otherwise.

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnew...-0607-iihs.htm
Old 12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

The data on a convertibles safety is as good as under what conditions it was assimilated.

If this truck had been a convertible, my friend would not be alive today. This accident was 2 weeks ago.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/DCAC10E266E64636B1CEC6824BC6362F.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

I ride motorcycles...so convertibles never really were an exclusion due to safety reasons....I've just never been really turned on by them.....OK, I really liked my friend's 67 Impala Convertible in mint condition...that was a sweet ride.....

Had the super easy power steering and you could easily fit 4 high school students in the back and 3 in the front (don't get the wrong idea folks, I was in High School at the time).....

Old 12-16-2007, 04:38 PM

And that's probably why they don't make a convertible truck. Don't think there is anyway to make it safe in a rollover. Maybe with a B-pillar there in the back, but I'm sure that would look strange like the PT cruiser, but it would be safer then nothing.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I just find out on this truck from my friend is that the sunroof never cracked.....probably because it was below flush with the metal.

Quick Reply: Who's waiting for the manual?