Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Why do people buy muscle cars automatic?

Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do people buy muscle cars automatic?

I am fairly confidant I am lucky enough that my wife is going to let me get a 6.1. I am trading in my f-150 (that is paid for) so that should bring it down by alot. The reason I ask about the auto/manual is when i was younger i had a mustang and i remember how good it sounded being a manual when your taking off (trust me i know the challenger will sound better). I just want to know if you get the same sound out of the challenger, and if it is acceptable to go to the drag strip and have some fun in a automatic?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

I was under the impression automatics were (excuse the pun) gaining traction in the drag world....is that not the case?

Me personally, I would have bought an SRT8 Charger if they had manual....again....could have gotten over the overabundance of doors...but not the lack of something to stir......

Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Oh you know it. Have to have that manual.

Ok, that is a serious heavy clutch if you are breaking the seat back, or poorly designed seats, take your pick.

Autos definitely sound different when you are driving them exhaust wise. You hear it pretty much like in the car, it revs up to a certain RPM and then you get a silght drop in the sound that just doesn't sound right. You expect something that just doesn't show up, you know the normal sound in the manual. Very odd.

I really hope the Challenger will sound better. I figured that the 5.7 and/or the 6.1 in the Charger would have a nice sound to it. When I rolled down the windows to listen to one I was highly disappointed. The thing sounded like a Cadillac at take off. Where is the power sound? If they were going to make this thing a total family car, why bother with the SRT and why bother with the 5.7 Hemi? If you are going to put muscle behind it then at least give it a hint of power in the exhaust note.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Automatics are very common on the drag strip because they are very consistent every time you race.

Manuals and paddles are better for road racing.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

manuals are almost a must for smaller engine cars at the dragstrip, as the power eaten by the auto trans REALLY slows them down...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, thanks I forgot to cover the smaller cars. Hydraulic fluid sure is syrupy.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

manuals are almost a must for smaller engine cars at the dragstrip, as the power eaten by the auto trans REALLY slows them down...
Excellent point. Smaller engine cars have less extra power to work with and need as much power as the engine points out to keep competitive. I think I remember reading for an example that the 95-00 Stratus/Breeze equipped with the Neon 2.0L had a gigantic acceleration time difference between the auto and manual. The auto was found to take 12-12.5 secs for the 0-60 mph run, the manual did it I think in around 9.4-10.0 secs. It makes a big difference in smaller engined cars.

The difference in the GTO between the auto and manual was only about .2 secs in the tests I read and the manual had two more gear ratios. It also depends on the manual and auto being used. I believe many people said that the torqueflites could shift faster than an person with a manual could. That could have been from the fact that only manuals were less refined and more difficult than current manuals are to shift.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 PM

We kind of explored this question a ways back. I am open to buying either way but want to have a classic people want in 30 years & my guess is that an automatic will not prove as highly sought after as a manual.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Wonder if Chrysler will begin to explore the land of CVT...when talking about the resonance of the exhaust during hard exceleration.....imagine no rewinding of the gears at all......just an acceleration of the engine until you're at 160.....hmmm....

Of course again....wouldn't phase me as I'm manual transmission headed.....

Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

CVT still has a lot of work that needs to be done. Just too many mechanical losses at this time.

Quick Reply: Why do people buy muscle cars automatic?