Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Why folks want to purchase a challenger

Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why folks want to purchase a challenger

Good point...I remember all the drivers didn't want to get off the intrepid 'cause it was a such a sleek non drag-o-rific body, they had a real advantage in them (in fact, I remember Ford and Chevy drives squawking about it and I think they were even to have more leeway in their template adherence).

Of course w/ this said/written, might be worth all the hassle, to speak back of classic Nascar, Ford had a lot of success with its fastback design in the mid 60's right?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM

If history proves correct/reliable, it takes the average team a year to overcome the nuances of a new car design/body style change. While the benefits in the long term may be attractive, the $12-$15 Million per year the primary sponsors pay to have their name on one car isn't "patient money". They want to see their car in the winner's circle as often as possible. That doesn't happen when you're trying to figure out setups for each track with a new aerodynamics package, not to mention the new coil-bind front suspensions in the COT's they're running now.
I think any changes the manufacturers make or initiate from this point on will be well thought out and timed to benefit the teams' learning curves.

To answer your question a little more directly, yes, Ford did enjoy success with the late '60's model stock cars. Then Dodge and Plymouth had everyone covered with the Daytona/Charger and the 426 Hemi in the late '60's into the early '70's. That was when the King really started to dominate every track, every week. 200 carreer wins says a lot in a sport where the next driver had fewer than half that. That's real domination.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well you don't earn the pseudonym "The King" for nothing! Too bad Petty Enterprises isn't doing more these days.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM

They're working on it, Bud. Reports state that RPE just moved their shop from Level Cross and seem to be making a concerted effort at bringing back the level of greatness they enjoyed many years ago.
Richard is one of the nicest, friendliest and most genuine people you'd ever meet. The man always has a smile and kind word for anyone who approaches him. Salt of the earth, and a man of his word....... very rare for someone who achieved so much and has so many demands placed on him by so many people. How could you NOT be a fan of that kind of man?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM
mac

Neck car racing Woooo Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: mac

Neck car racing Woooo Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Um....it's America's #1 spectator sport if you hadn't noticed.

My favorite driver is from your neck of the woods.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM
mac

Just poking some fun, I am not into it but have been told it is really a lot of fun to actually attend an event. Have not enjoyed watching it on tv, but then again I don't follow any of the racers. However I am into the Portland Trail Blazers-----GO BLAZERS ( A team I despised for the last 5 years but now we have some really good citizens/players). Also I really appreciate New York taking Zack Randolph from us, what a ball hog and trouble maker.

Also the Hawks beat the Redskins.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM

Yea! Go Hawks!! Sorry, just had to throw that in...
Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM

And, as of this post GO JAGS!! So far they are winning but I'm heading to bed and when I wake up I hope Big Ben is crying.[8D]
Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 PM

Sorry the Steelers will win..

Quick Reply: Why folks want to purchase a challenger